Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Heia Safari

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions.
Hosted by Chris Dale.

Heia Safari

Postby Cristiano de S.O Campos on 25 Oct 2005 16:51

Hi for all

We are know a famous song created by Schutztruppe.

The name of these song is Heia Safari.

Is possible to find in MP3?

Cristiano.
Cristiano de S.O Campos
Brazil

Postby Peter H on 26 Oct 2005 02:14

Online here though:

http://www.fen-net.de/norbert.arnoldi/a ... afari.html

I think its on here somewhere:

viewtopic.php?t=61848
Peter H
Forum Staff
Australia

Heia Safari mp3

Postby sol on 14 May 2007 01:28

I've once downloaded one oktoberfest version of the Heia Safari using limewire. It is an incomplete version at included about 1/2 of the march. Please let me know if interested.
sol
Venezuela

Postby Chris Dale on 14 May 2007 13:40

Yes, I'd be curious to hear that Sol...
Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

MP3

Postby sol on 14 May 2007 20:51

Is there any way I can upload it?

I would be happy to share it with the forum.

It is 4 MB mp3.

If you have lime wire search for Heia Safari and you can downloaded. At least mine.
sol
Venezuela

Postby Chris Dale on 15 May 2007 00:21

Hi Sol,

Thank you very much for sending it to me... it's great to hear. I have uploaded the file to my webspace so everyone can hear it. It is the first of two marches on the MP3.

Right click on this link and choose "Save Target as" and you can download the 4 mB MP3 to your own computer-

http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolo ... Safari.mp3

Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

MP3

Postby sol on 15 May 2007 01:16

Hello again Chris.

I've heard it and I think the rest of the forum will enjoy it

cheers.
sol
Venezuela

Postby Chris Dale on 15 May 2007 01:34

I'd be curious to find out more about when and where it was recorded. You mentioned to me it said it was recorded at the Oktoberfest. I've had the pleasure of going to the Oktoberfest a few times and the only music I heard was accompanied by loud drunken shoutings from the public (myself included!). This recording sounds quite clean, the singers are very good and well organised. They sing in tune and know the words... that's not how I remember the Oktoberfests sounding. Also the recording sounds quite new, there's no scratches like you usually hear on old vinyl recordings. Perhaps they've been removed with digital technology.

And aren't songs like this "politically incorrect" to record these days if it is a recent recording?

What do our other readers think of it?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Postby sol on 15 May 2007 03:25

I can't tell you when it was recorded. All I can tell you that here in Caracas Venezuela, the German Embassy promotes oktoberfests for cultural reasons and the background sounds depends on the audience. They bring bands from there. The resemblance with the band I've heard here is remarkable. They played polkas and traditional marches. I think this version is not entirely military. It has its polka touch. I've heard in oktoberfests many polkas and marches amalgamated in one piece. It is not the complete march. It is legal to post fragments of songs or whatever. If it is too long you can always trim it and upload the shortened version.

You can find more information with programs like Windows Media Player and/or Itunes from apple.

If not used for profit purposses, like this historical forum, there shouldn't be any problem. I have no intentions to harm this excelent forum.
sol
Venezuela

Postby Chris Dale on 19 May 2007 00:29

Hi Sol,
I see what you mean about an Oktoberfest style concert, that makes sense to me now, thank you.
Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Postby Cristiano de S.O Campos on 19 May 2007 13:31

Hi Chris

Now, i hear the Song Heia Safari in the link that you
put here, cool

Wie oft sind wir geschritten
Auf schmalem Negerpfad
Wohl durch der Steppen Mitten,
Wenn frueh der Morgen naht.
Wie lauschten wir dem Klange,
Dem alten trauten Sange
Der Traeger und Askari:
Heia heia Safari!

Steil ueber Berg und Kluefte
Durch tiefe Urwaldnacht,
Wo schwuel und feucht die Luefte
Und nie die Sonne lacht.
Durch Steppengraeserwogen
Sind wir hindurchgezogen
Mit Traeger und Askari:
Heia heia Safari!

Und sassen wir am Feuer
Des Nachts wohl vor dem Zelt,
Lag wie in stiller Feier
Um uns die naecht'ge Welt.
Und ueber dunkle Haenge
Toent es wie ferne Klaenge
Von Traegern und Askari:
Heia heia Safari!

Tret' ich die letzte Reise,
Die grosse Fahrt einst an,
Auf, singt mir diese Weise
Statt Trauerlieder dann,
Dass meinem Jaegerohre
Dort vor dem Himmelstore
Es kling' wie ein Halali:
Heia heia Safari!

Cheers

Cristiano.
Cristiano de S.O Campos
Brazil

Postby Chris Dale on 19 May 2007 15:37

Thanks Cristiano. Here's a Babelfish translation of the lyrics-

"How often we are walked on narrow negro path well-being by the steppes in the middle, if early the morning approaches. As we listened to the sound, the old trusted Sange of the carriers and Askari: Heia heia safari!

Steeply over mountain and gaps by deep jungle night, where stifling and damp air and never the sun laughs. By waves of steppe grass we are pulled through with carrier and Askari: Heia heia safari!

And we probably sat at the fire of the at night before the tent, lay as in quiet celebration around us the naecht'ge world. And over dark slopes it sounds like far sounds of carriers and Askari: Heia heia safari!

Tret ' I the last journey, the large travel once on, up, sings this way place of mourning songs to me then that to my hunter ear there before that sky gates it sound ' like a Halali: Heia heia safari!"

Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Postby sol on 20 May 2007 00:43

Hi Chris.

Please forgive me, but you didn't understeand. I was especting that you could remove from the MP3 the parts not belonging to Heia Safari.

As you may noticed it is a somehow german oktobeffest remix (disco like). That is why I'm telling you that it has an oktoberfest polka style.

I am really happy to solve the question in this topic. Nice to meet you cristiano.

By the way, I am descendant from one Belgian who claimed to be one of the soldiers who fought against DOA. Somehow it is a small world, One of my botany teachers claim that his ancestors fought in the great war with the ghost army from Von Lettow. That is why I watch close this forum.

For me Heia Safari is a blessing and may solve the riddle of some of my ancestors.

Please let me know if interested, although out ofthis topic, about the German blockade in Venezuela.

It is always a pleasure,

sol.
sol
Venezuela

Postby Chris Dale on 20 May 2007 02:31

Hi Sol,

I'm sorry, I understood you but I don't have the software needed to edit the MP3 down to the Heia Sfari section only. As it exists, it also conatins another unidentified song.

Congratualtions on your descent. Do you now much about your ancestor in the Belgian Force Publique? Do you have any photos of him?

I'm we would all here be interested if you have any additional local knowledge of the Venezuela Bloackade of 1902-03. If you can add anything please add it to this existing section-

viewtopic.php?t=87588

Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Postby Chris Dale on 29 May 2007 23:14

Sol has kindly edited the version of Heia Safari down so as to only include the song itself and not extended other song. I've uploaded this new version to the same link for evryone to hear-
http://www.sacktrick.com/igu/germancolo ... Safari.mp3
Thanks again Sol,
Cheers
Chris
Chris Dale
Forum Staff
United Kingdom

Next

Return to German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions