3. KosInfBrig/Div & Cossack-units outside XV. (SS-)Kos-K

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Michi

3. KosInfBrig/Div & Cossack-units outside XV. (SS-)Kos-K

Post by Michi » 28 Oct 2005, 01:11

Any infos about the 3rd Cossack-Infantry Division??
Was it a Brigade or was it a Division??

Your opinion??

My informations so far:

3. Kosaken-Plastun[Infanterie]-Division:
Kdt/ CO: Oberst/ Colonel Kononow/ Kononow (from 01st April 1945 Generalmajor (ROA)/ Major General in the ROA);
Oberst/ Colonel von Renteln
Oberstleutnant/ Lieutenant Colonel Borissow/ Borissov
Kdt D.V.K./ CO of German Liaison Command: Major/ Major Graf von Rittberg
-->Kosaken-Plastun[Infanterie]-Regiment 7
Kdt/ CO: Oberstleutnant/ Lieutenant Colonel Borissow/ Borissov
-->Kosaken-Plastun[Infanterie]-Regiment 8
Kdt/ CO: Major/ Major Sacharow/ Sacharov
-->Kalmücken-Kavallerie-Regiment 9 (former Kalmyck-Cavalry-Corps) (at least after 28th March 1945)
Kdt/ CO: Oberst/ Colonel Hoerst
--> Aufklärungs-Abteilung
Kdt/ CO: Rittmeister/ Captain Bondarenko

MfG Michi
Last edited by Michi on 06 Nov 2005, 22:24, edited 4 times in total.

Semenov

Re:

Post by Semenov » 29 Oct 2005, 00:01

Hi,
In the Cossack units not ranks the major therefore it was correct Esaul (captain) Zacharov. As of 25.02.1945 existed Plastun Brig. In the rest you are right.

Regards!

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 03 Nov 2005, 17:57

3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division

Unit was formed on the basis of the Don-Kosaken Regiment 5 (Oberst Kononov) during 2/45 as the Plastun Brigade. The first battalion of the regiment, commanded by Esaul Bondarenko was redesignated as the 3. Kosaken-Aufklärungs-Abteilung and made independent within the brigade. The other parts of the regiment were joined by the remnants of Oberst von Renteln's Kosaken-Festungs-Grenadier Regiment 360. This regiment was just transferred to the corps from the Oberrhein, and amounted to appr. 700 men. From these resources, two infantry regiments, the 7. and 8. Kosaken-Plastun Regiment were created under the command of Oberstleutnant I. G. Borisov and Esaul Sacharov, respectively. Some sources claim that also an artillery battalion was created. Major Zatsyuk, a former general staff officer, was appointed the chief of staff of the unit, and Major Graf von Rittberg became the German liaison commander. Renteln was made the corps' liaison officer to Ataman Domanov's cossack camp. The 5. Don-Kosaken Regiment was reformed on the basis of the Kosaken-Plastun-Bataillon 2, commanded by Major Graf zu Eltz. During 3/45, the remnants of the former Kalmyken-Kavallerie-Korps commanded by Rittmeister Brücker were added to the unit under the name of Kalmüken-Kavallerie Regiment 9. It was from this time, that the unit was considered a division, although there is no evidence that this name was ever properly used. At this time, the number of Cossacks in the division peaked at 7000. During 4/45, the freshly promoted Generalmajor Kononov had left the brigade to become the Ataman of the Cossack armies, and was replaced by Oberstleutnant Borisov. After surrendering to the British, the unit was forcibly repatriated to the USSR on 28/5/45. Many of the personnel commited suicide, including the commander, Borisov. Kononov avoided being captured and went on to become one of the leaders of the Cossack exile.

---------
This info is my compilation. Any corrections/questions are welcome.

Hope this helps,

Abel

Michi

Post by Michi » 04 Nov 2005, 01:24

First I wanna thank Semenov, but my source says of Major Sacharow/Sacharov/Zacharov as of 01st April 1945.

Second I wanna thank Ábel for his further informations about the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division.
Here are some of my contradicting informations:

# 1. ) As it seems, according my sources, from 01st April 1945 onwards it was spoken of the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division respective 3. Kosaken-Plastun-Division, not of a Brigade.

# 2. ) Generalmajor Kononov was not of a full grade German General-rank, but held a General-rank in the ROA, the Army of General (ROA) Vlasov, A.; in the German rooster he was still Oberst in the German Wehrmacht

# 3. ) According one of my sources there were 2 different Cossacks-Regiment with the Number 5 (at least in 1943/44):
a) Kuban-Kosaken-Regiment 5
Formed in Winter 1942/43 as Kosaken-Regiment Kuban of the Heeresgruppe A in the Caucasus.
As an infantry(plastun)-regiment it got the number 5, as the Cossack-Cavalry-Regiements as the
Kos-Rtr-Rgt Don was numbered with 1; later the Don-Kosaken-Reiter-Regiment 1
Kos-Rtr-Rgt Sswodny was numbered with 2; later the Kuban-Kosaken-Regiment 3
Kos-Rtr-Rgt Kuban was numbered with 3; later the Kuban-Kosaken-Regiment 4
Kos-Rtr-Rgt Terek was numbered with 4; later the Terek-Kosaken-Regiment 6
b) Kosaken-Reiter-Regiment 5 (Kononoff)
Formed in July 1943 from the Kosaken-Abteilung 600 (as I./) and parts of the Radfahr-Regiment 4 (as. II./)
renamed in August 1943 as
Don-Kosaken-Reiter-Regiment 5
II.[Rdf]/ was transformed into a Cos.Cav.Btl. in November 1943; but again transformed in February 1944 into a Cos.Inf[Plastun].Btl. .
..So we are talking about the 2nd 5th Regiment. What happened to the 1st 5th Regiment??

# 4. ) Obst von Renteln, a former White Army fighter in 1920, (together(!) with the later Field-Marshall Alexander, who was captain at that times in the staff of the General Judenic) was according some sources the successor of Obst Kononov in leading the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division. Later on the ObstLt Borisov was CO.

# 5. ) The 3. Kosaken-Aufklärungs-Abteilung was unique, as both other Cossack-Division had no Aufkl-Abt for their own; only the all-German Korps-Kosaken-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 55.
On 2nd May 1945 the 3. Kosaken-Aufklärungs-Abteilung was attached to the 1. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Division.
Furtheron there were some problems with the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division, so Oberst von Schultz subordinated the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division to his Division (2. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Division)

# 6. ) The CO's of the Kalmycken-Kavallerie-Korps were
Sonderführer (K) Dr. Doll till July 1944
Oberstleutnant Bergen (a.k.a. Pipgorra) July 1944 - January 1945
Regiment 1/KalmKavKps: Rittmeister Sorensen
Regiment 2/KakmKavKps: Rittmeister Gut... (can't read any further letters)
Oberst Hoerst January 1945 - May 1945
At least till the date of 27th March 1945 the remnants of the Kalmycken-Kavallerie-Korps (a strengthened Cavalry-Regiment) were not part of the 3. Kosaken-Infanterie-Division.

Any further different infos available???

MfG Michi

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 04 Nov 2005, 12:07

6)
Auf dem Truppenübungsplatz Neuhammer am Queiß wurde aus den noch kampffähigen Teilen des Kalmükisches Kav.-Korps unter Rittmeister Brücker ein Regiment zu 2 Abteilungen gebildet. Dieses wurde der in Kroatien kämpfenden 1. Kosaken-Kav.-Div (sic!) zugeführt.
Bei Kriegsende befanden sich die restliche Kalmüken in Verband des XV. Kosaken-Kavallerie-Korps an der Drau Front. [...]
Source is Richter "Die Geschichte der deutschen Kavallerie". Hoerst is mentioned above. So I'm quite firm about Brücker commanding (at least) the fighting parts of the corps.

4) According to my sources, Borisov, an old mate of Kononov, was his immediate successor. Renteln become the liaison officer to the Ataman during 2/45, and was still in that position 9/5/45, no info on what happened between.

3) This is the hardest one.
The standard fighting size for "independent" Cossack units during WW2 was the regiment. And as there were power struggles between the factions, each of the Cossack branches named their regiments as if there were no other.
Only two of these "branches" made it to form at least five regiments - the Kazachij Stan, and the 1. Kos Div. It is the regiment #5 of these two factions that we're talking about. AFAIK the Kub Kos Reg 5 was included in the 1. Kos Plastun Div (KS) of Colonel Silkin.
Just as a sidenote, Renteln's regiment was formed from two of the Stan's regiments - the 6. and 7. (Schepetovka) Regiments, which were later reformed by the Stan.

a) As to Your previous questions. I can confirm that there was a tank and a StuG battalion forming at the XV. KKK, but have got no further info.

b) Have You got any info about this unit?

Kosaken-Brigade Medynski
Formed on the Belarus at the Proskurov-Novogrudok area 1/44. Had the 1. and 2. Kosaken Regimenter (German numbering) with 4000 men. Commander Oberst A. I. Medynski. Existed until 3/44.

Best regards,

Abel

Michi

Post by Michi » 04 Nov 2005, 14:19

Kosaken-Brigade Medynski
Formed on the Belarus at the Proskurov-Novogrudok area 1/44. Had the 1. and 2. Kosaken Regimenter (German numbering) with 4000 men. Commander Oberst A. I. Medynski. Existed until 3/44.
I have a Kosaken-Brigade formed in the Belarus at that time.
Its name was Kosaken-Brigade "Weißruthenien" (= old German spelling for Belarus.
This Brigade was formed from cossackian refugees.
The Kosaken-Abteilungen did bear the term Kosaken-Schutzmannschaften-Abteilungen (KosSchumaAbt) and not Kosaken-Reiter-Abteilungen.
The Numbers were 68, 69(?), 70, 71, 72, 73 and 74.

MfG Michi

jarek_g

Brigade Medynski

Post by jarek_g » 04 Nov 2005, 14:22

About Brigade Medynski

On order HSSPF Russland - Mitte from 15 March 1944 was formed 5 cavalry Cossack's battalions of Schutzmannschaften about following numbers 68. - 69., and 72. -74. From remaining Cossacks was formed Infantry Brigade, commanded nominally by Colonel Sergej Pavlov, and in his replacement by chief of brigade's staff Col. A. I. Medynski. Commander 1st regiment "General Krasnov" was Col. V. A. Lobysevič, and 2nd regiment Col. G. P. Tarassenko - in his replacement temporarily esaul (i.e. cossack's Major) Rusakov.

After arrival on Byelorussia further parts of camp (tabor) Col. Pavlov, continued forming of following unitss, for of which with personnel became existing to this of time two regiments (number 1 and 2). In half of July 1944 r came into being of eleven regiments of infantry, from this 4 Don, 3 Kuban, 2 mixed (i.e. sswodnyj), 1 Terek and 1 Terek-Stavropol.
Regiments CO was: 1. Don - Col. V. A. Lobysevič, 2. Don - Col. Ltn. Rusakov, 3. Don- Col. Ltn. Žuravlev, 4. mixed (sswodnyj)- Col. Ltn. Ovsiannikov, 5. Kuban - Col. Ltn. Bondarenko, 6. Kuban - Col. P. Novikov, 7. Terek - Maj. G. P. Nazykov, 8. Don- Col. M. I. Malovik, 9. Kuban - Col. Skomorohov; 11. mixed (sswodnyj) - Col. Ltn. Markevič; , a 10. Terek-Stavropol - Col. Maslov. Attitude this one formed 6 mounted battery of artillery. In early 1945 all(!) regiments was transformed and forming two Cosack's Division.

All Cossack's units was groupped in 4 brigades commanded by Cossack's officers: 1st Don Brigade- Col. Leonid V. Vasilev, 2nd Don - Col. Dmitrij A. Silkin, Kuban Brigade - Col. G. P. Tarasenko and Terek Brigade - Col. Vertepov.
Attention translitering: Lobysevič - Lobysevitch, Žuravlev - Zhuravlev, Markevič - Markevitsh.

This brigades was not part of XV SS Corps but part of Kosaken Tabor (Camp) by Ataman Petr N. Krasnov in North Italy (Carnia-Cadore).

Source: NARA T-454/39/000981, K. M. Aleksandrov, Protiv Stalina. Vlasov i vostočnye dobrovolcy vo vtoroj mirovoj vojnie, [Against Stalin. Vlasov and eastern volunteers in 2ww] Sankt Petersburg 2003, s. 53, A. K. Lenivov, Pod kazačim znamenem [Under Cossack's flag], München 1970, s. 54.

Bestreg.
Jarek

Michi

Post by Michi » 04 Nov 2005, 21:58

Sorry, I wanna write it in German, as I have to go offline for the very next moment:

Kosaken-Reiter-Brigade "Weißruthenien"
Im März und April 1944 ordnete der Höhere SS- und Polizeiführer "Rußland-Mitte und Weißruthenien" die Zusammenfassung der wehrfähigen Kosaken- und Kaukasier-Flüchtlinge zu de-facto Schutzmannschafts-Abteilungen/Bataillone an.

Die Kosaken bildeten die
Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung 68
Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung 69
Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung 72
Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung 73
Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilung 74.
Diese solten zur Kosaken-Reiter-Brigade "Weißruthenien" zusmmengefaßt werden.
Dazu kam es aufgrund des deutschen Rückzugs nicht mehr; vielmehr wurde die KosSchumaAbt 68 von den übrigen getrennt.
KosSchumaAbt 68 nahm am Unternehmen "Kormoran" zwischen 22. Mai 1944 und 20. Juni 1944 nördlich der Bahnlinie Minsk - Borissow teil.
Im Juni 1944 wurde sie in die Schutzmannschafts-Brigade "Siegling" überführt, wurde dann Waffen-Aufklärungs-Abteilung der SS 30 (russ. Nr. 2).
Die KosSchumaAbt 69, KosSchumaAbt 72, KosSchumaAbt 73 und KosSchumaAbt 74 wurden mit ihren Familienangehörigen im Juli 1944 im Raum Siedlce versammelt (9000 Wehrfähige & 8000 Zivilisten).
Diese Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilungen wurden zuächst am Narew als Bewachungsmannschaften der im Befestigungsbau beschäftigten Fremdarbeiter eingesetzt und dann mit ihren Familien in den Raum Triest verlegt.

Die ebenfalls im März 1944 aufgestellten
kaukasisches SchumaBtl 70
kaukasisches SchumaBtl 71
wurden im Juli 1944 auch in Siedlce versammelt und dann zusammen mit rund 2000 Familienangehörige in das Isonzotal verlegt.

Source:
Rolf Michaelis. Russen in der Waffen-SS. Michaelis Verlag. Berlin. 2002.

MfG Michi

PS:
I wanna translate it whenever I will be online again.

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 05 Nov 2005, 11:43

Hi Jarek and Michi,

thanks for the excellent data.

1) During early 45, the Kazachij Stan was reorganized into the following form:

1. Kos Plastun Div (Silkin; promoted to Generalmajor according to some sources)
- 1. Don Kos Plastun Brig: 1. Don Kos Reg, 2. Don Kos Reg
- 2. Sswodno Kos Plastun Brig: 3. Kuban Kos Reg, 4. Terek-Stavropol Kos Reg
- Kos-Reiter-Schwadron
- Gendarm. Schwadron
- Pz detachment

2. Kos Plastun Div (commander ?)
- 3. Sswodno Kos Plastun Brig: 5. Sswodno Kos Reg, 6. Don Kos Reg
- 4. Sswodno Kos Plastun Brig: 3. Kos Guards Reg, 3 x bns of stannitza self-defense (Don, Kuban and Sswodno Kos Bn), Grekov detachment

1. Kos Kav Reg (6 schw)
Ataman's Kav Reg (5 schw)
+ other small units

2) There was another Cossack bn numbered 69 - the 69. Kos Kav Abt. This unit was formed from the remnants of a certain Kos Reg 14, that was apparently reorganized in this fashion and attached to the 3. Kav Brig. Any info on the highlighted unit?

3) I think that the so-called 3. Kos Reg "Bondarenko" will deserve a mentioning here.

This regiment was formed during early 44 by the Cossack stan as a mixed regiment to aid the German forces fighting at Warsaw. It was made up of parts of several of the Stan's regiments, under the command of Esaul Bondarenko (CO Kub Kos Reg 5). In the German terminology, it bore the number 3 - number 1 and 2 were the regiments of the Medynski brigade. After the battle, the regiment was incorporated into the XV. KKK, where it was dissolved and used to fill up the ranks of the unit. Esaul Bondarenko later became the commander of the 3. Kos Aufkl Abt.

Gentlemen, please keep up the flow of data, because this one could become a really interesting thread!

Abel

Michi

Post by Michi » 05 Nov 2005, 16:26

2) There was another Cossack bn numbered 69 - the 69. Kos Kav Abt. This unit was formed from the remnants of a certain Kos Reg 14, that was apparently reorganized in this fashion and attached to the 3. Kav Brig. Any info on the highlighted unit?
CO of the KosSchumaAbt 69 was Major Pirner, Hans Helmut.
(I have a photo of him)
Maybe this is a little help for you.

MfG Michi

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 06 Nov 2005, 17:59

Thanks Michi.

Does anyone have info on the so-called 2. Caucasian Cossack Brigade? It is supposed to be commanded by a certain Colonel P. P. Novikov.

jarek_g

Post by jarek_g » 06 Nov 2005, 19:02

Cossack's Tabor Unit in spring 1945:

1. Cossack’s Infantry Division - gen. maj. Dmitrij A. Silkin (7050 men - Operational Unit)
1. Don Cossack’s Infantry Brigade - gen. maj. Nikolaj P. Voronin
1. Don Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - gen. maj. Ilia W. Balabin
2. Don Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - ltn. col. (cos. vojskovyj starshina) Rykovskov
1. Don Cossack’s Light Battery - sotnik (i.e. Captain) V. N. Cherjachukin
2. Don Cossack’s Light Battery - podesaul (i.e. under major?) A. I. Sofronov
2. Svodno - Cossack’s Infantry Brigade - gen. maj. Evgenij S. Tichockij
3. Kuban Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - gen. maj. P. V. Golovko
4. Terek-Stavropol Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - col. I. A. Morozov
3. Kuban Cossack’s Light Battery - sotnik Fedulin
4. Terek-Stavropol Cossack’s Light Battery - sotnik Egopov

Diviision staff dependent:
Staff Squadron - podesaul Seleznev
(squadron - cos. sotnia)
Pioneer-Technical Squadron - ltn. col. Efremenko
Signal Squadron - esaul (i.e. major) Zujkin
Recce Mounted Squadron - esaul Marynin
Gendarmerie Mounted Squadron - esaul Tchausov
Supply Coy - esaul E. Kukolevskov
Armoured Car Unit - esaul I. A. Michajlenkov

2. Cossack’s Infantry Division - gen. maj. G. P. Tarasenko (Self defence and training unit)
3. Svodno - Cossack’s Infantry Brigade - col. Gnejlach
5. Svodno Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - col. A. A. Polupannov
6. Don Cossack’s Infantry Regiment - ltn. col. F. Szevyrev
5. Svodno - Cossack’s Light Battery - podesaul I. V. Usatchev
6. Don Cossack’s Light Battery - sotnik G. W. Davydov
4. Svodno - Cossack’s Infantry Brigade - col. V. A. Łobysevycz
3. Cossack’s Replacement Regiment - ltn. col. Ovsiannikov
Independent Cossack’s Light Battery - esaul I. Sachno

1. Don Cossack’s Infantry Battalion of Stanitsa’s Self-defence - esaul Pojevov
2. Kuban Cossack’s Infantry Battalion of Stanitsa’s Self-defence - esaul Tiukin
3. Svodno - kazacz’ij pieszij batalion of Stanitsa’s Self-defence - esaul N. I. Maslennikov, later - staff capt. W. A. Hehlatchev
(stanitsa - cossack’s village)

Independent Cossaack’s Unit - col. Grekov
(2 mounted and 2 Infantry Squadrons)

1. Cossack’s Cavalry Regiment - col. A. M. Golubov
(3 mounted and 3 Infantry Squadrons)

Ataman Cossack’s Cavalry Convoi Regiment - gen. maj. Leonid V. Vasilev
(5 Squadrons)

7. Cossack’s Light Battery - sotn. I. G. Sabusov
8. Cossack’s Light Battery - sotn. Pinoci

Cossack’s Junkier School - col. A. I. Medynskij
1. sotnia - col. Dzhaluk,
2. sotnia - col V. G. Vdovienko,
Pioneer Platoon - mjr N. N. Krasnov,
Battery - mjr Loshtchinskij,
Machine Gun Command - kpt. Grishtchyn

Cossack’s Officers Battalion - col. E. A. Mihajlov
(2 squadrons, staff-officers troop and MG command)

Independent Cossack’s Mounted Gendarmerie Battalion - col. ltn. G. A. Nazykov
(2 squadron)

Independent Cossack’s Bodyguards Unit - sotn. D. Pleshtchakov

Cossack’s Commendant’s Infantry Battalion - col. Tchibin’jaev
(two squadrons - sotnia)

Bestreg.
Jarek

Michi

Post by Michi » 06 Nov 2005, 23:19

Gentlemen, thanks for your replys!!!!!!

First I have to say, I have changed the title into
3. KosInfBrig/Div & Cossack-units outside XV. (SS-)Kos-KavK,
as my plan was to research the Corps-units of the XV. (SS-)Kos-KavK, but
it wasn't very fertile.

Are there any sources, which mentions all different Cossack-units??
(not only the XV. (SS-)Kos-KavK, not only the Kazachij Stan)

As I don't have any single source covering these different groups together, I was
looking once again into my archive and have found this:

Not all Cossack units, even in the last days of the war, were incorporated into von
Pannwitz's Corps
For example, in the Ukraine some Schuma battalions -with Cossacks- were raised
in the early months of 1944, and were classed as Kosaken-Reiter-Front-Abteilungen
or as Kosaken-Schutzmannschafts-Abteilungen.

At the Kazačij stan in Northern Italy there were
2 Don-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiments
1 Terek-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
1 Kuban-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiement
1 Kosaken-Reiter-Regiment (gemischt)
with 962 men
1 Kosaken-Reserve-Regiment (gemischt) with 976 men
1 Kosaken-Begleit-Abteilung (gemischt) with 386 men.

Source:
David Littlejohn. Foreign Legions of the Third Reich.

There was an unknown Cossack-unit in Northern Italy, they have received
some field-post-numbers:
15912: German Liaison Command for Cossacks and Caucasian units (police):
15912 A: Stab Feldatamanen-Regiment
15912 B: 1. Don-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 C: 2. Don-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 D: 3. Kuban-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiement
15912 E: 4. Terek-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 F: 5. Kosaken-Reserve-Regiment (gemischt)

Further on (which is a little bit off-topic)
19108: German Liaison Command for North-Caucasian units (police):
19108 A: Freiwilligen-Regimentsstab with Stabsschwadron
19108 B: I. Freiwilligen-Regiment
19108 C: II. Freiwilligen-Regiment
19108 D: III. Freiwilligen-Regiment
19108 E: I. Volks-Regiment
19108 F: II. Volks-Regiment
19108 G: Hauptverwaltung

Source:
Tessin. Volume 1.

maybe this is in connection with
Die ebenfalls im März 1944 aufgestellten
kaukasisches SchumaBtl 70
kaukasisches SchumaBtl 71
wurden im Juli 1944 auch in Siedlce versammelt und dann zusammen mit rund 2000 Familienangehörige in das Isonzotal verlegt.

MfG Michi

Michi

Post by Michi » 07 Nov 2005, 07:56

Is the Kazačij stan of the
Ataman Krasnov, Petr Nikolaevič
the same Cossacks Tabor (Camp) unit as of the
Ataman Domanov, Timofej Ivanovič??

MfG Michi

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 07 Nov 2005, 15:19

Hi Michi,
Michi wrote:There was an unknown Cossack-unit in Northern Italy, they have received
some field-post-numbers:
15912: German Liaison Command for Cossacks and Caucasian units (police):
15912 A: Stab Feldatamanen-Regiment
15912 B: 1. Don-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 C: 2. Don-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 D: 3. Kuban-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiement
15912 E: 4. Terek-Kosaken-Plastun-Regiment
15912 F: 5. Kosaken-Reserve-Regiment (gemischt)
2/10/44 - one cavalry and five infantry regiments of the Kazachij Stan, plus the Kauk. Kav. Abt. (SS-Staf K. Ulagaj) [?] are attached to the HSSPf of the Adrian coastline, SS-Ogruf O. Globocnik [? - who is this man], and together with the XXXIV. AK are used in combat against three Italian partizan brigades. [unfortunately this is an unsources note in one of my files]. So, in fact, these are regiments of the Stan.

If You look closely at the numbers, these are all four regiments of the later 1. Kos Plastun Div, plus two other regiments as reinforcements.

Michi wrote:Is the Kazačij stan of the
Ataman Krasnov, Petr Nikolaevič
the same Cossacks Tabor (Camp) unit as of the
Ataman Domanov, Timofej Ivanovič??
Domanov was the commander of the camp after the death of Ataman Pavlov.
Krasnov was the president of the central Cossack administrative (GUKV), the de facto Cossack "president". He only stayed in the camp.
There was one Cossack Tabor/Camp/Stan only.

I've got a huge file with all different Cossack units, but it's scrambled and in several different languages so I'll try and post the info one by one.

After having no luck with the 2. Kauk Kos Brig, how about this unit?

Kuban-Kosaken-Kavallerie-Regiment 1
Formed between 12-20/2/43 near Berdyansk from Kuban Cossack volunteers. Was commanded by army foreman I. I. Salomah (appointed Marching Ataman of the Kuban Cossack Army on 20/2/43), had 960 men. During 3/43 was included in the 1. Cossack Division.

Any further info on this unit? Which regiment did it become in the 1. Kos Div? What was the fate of Salomah?

Abel

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”