MARENOSTRUM

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Arditi

MARENOSTRUM

Post by Arditi » 02 Oct 2002, 03:55

Hi,
Can anybody tell me if the term MareNostrum was purely a wartime word? I recently picked up some biniculars that I think are wartime Italian, but I'm not entirely sure. Made by F.Koristka Milan and are stamped "MARENOSTRUM" as well. Naval term? Any help with this term helpful. Thanks, Arditi :|

Ando

Post by Ando » 02 Oct 2002, 04:17

Romans called the Mediterranean Mare Nostrum meaning Our Sea.

http://www.crystalinks.com/romenavy.html

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 02 Oct 2002, 14:04

Mare Nostrum was used by the Romans, who had the Mediterrranian in their "posession". It was their see, or 'mare nostrum'. I think a simple encyclopadia can give you a lot off information about that.

Benito M. wanted to make an Italian empire like the Romans. He wanted to make his country back so powerfull, but failed a bit. Anyhow, who doesn't try, who isn't able to make advance.

PS: maybe you can ask this question at the Non-WOII history, they know a lot more about that :wink: .

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 02 Oct 2002, 14:05

Mare Nostrum was used by the Romans, who had the Mediterrranian in their "posession". It was their see, or 'mare nostrum'. I think a simple encyclopadia can give you a lot off information about that.

Benito M. wanted to make an Italian empire like the Romans. He wanted to make his country back so powerfull, but failed a bit. Anyhow, who doesn't try, who isn't able to make advance.

PS: maybe you can ask this question at the Non-WOII history, they know a lot more about that :wink: .

de-gouden-ridder

Post by de-gouden-ridder » 02 Oct 2002, 14:05

Ai, did something wronge, sorry about that. :oops:

Here is a site about the Roman Empire, didn't check it out myself, but the "Mare nostrum"surely will be explained.

http://www.roman-empire.net/index.html

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”