Jewish Generals in the NDH?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
Kordunaš

Jewish Generals in the NDH?

Post by KordunaÅ¡ » 04 Nov 2005, 19:34

Does anyone here know if these NDH Generals were of Jewish faith? If they are, can anyone recomend some good sources for more information on these Generals. Thank you in advance.

1.Alabanda inž. Hinko
2. Aleman vitez Ladislav
3. Angeli Edgar
4. Balley Emanuel
5. ćuš Oton
6. Fritz Julijo
7. Gamberger Josip
8. Halla pl. Ferdinand
9. Heilbich Dragutin
10. Isser Ðuro
11. Kirchbaum Oskar
12. Kraus-Tudiæ Rudolf
13. Kubin Rikard
14. Metzger vitez Josip
15. Miesler Milan
16. Prauensperger pl. dr. Milan
17. Resch Julio
18. Rubler Dragutin
19. Sach Julio
20. Simoviæ Julio
21. Steinfel vitez Nikola
22. Šarnbek Ivan
23. Šnur vitez Ivo
24. Scholtz (Šolc) Josip
25. Tartaglija Kvintijan
26. Wanner Rudolf
27. Zgaga vitez Mirko
28. Zorn Božidar

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 05 Nov 2005, 06:33

Sorry. What is the NDH ?

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 05 Nov 2005, 17:35

Kordunas wrote:
Does anyone here know if these NDH Generals were of Jewish faith? If they are, can anyone recomend some good sources for more information on these Generals. Thank you in advance.
There was no information in the hands of the Amt Polizeiattaché Agram beim Dt. Gesandtschaft as of early 1944 indicated that any of the listed were Jewish, part Jewish or that they were married to Jews.

Victor

Post by Victor » 05 Nov 2005, 20:11

British Sapper wrote:Sorry. What is the NDH ?
NDH is short for Nezavisna Drzava Hrvatska, which is Croatian for "Independant State of Croatia"

British Sapper

Post by British Sapper » 06 Nov 2005, 05:19

Thanks for that VICTOR. I understand a bit better now :)

Kordunaš

Post by KordunaÅ¡ » 06 Nov 2005, 07:21

Larry D. wrote:Kordunas wrote:
There was no information in the hands of the Amt Polizeiattaché Agram beim Dt. Gesandtschaft as of early 1944 indicated that any of the listed were Jewish, part Jewish or that they were married to Jews.
Thanks for looking into that. I read an article in Serbo-Croatian claiming they were Jews and thought it may be interesting to look into. They may have been of Jewish decent but of Christian faith... similar to "Hiltlers Jewish Soldiers" ( http://www.stengerhistorica.com/History ... /Riggs.htm )

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 06 Nov 2005, 17:57

Of the interesting list of Croatian generals provided by Kordunas the following is unknown to me:

2. Aleman vitez Ladislav
3. Angeli Edgar
4. Balley Emanuel
7. Gamberger Josip
8. Halla pl. Ferdinand
9. Heilbich Dragutin
11. Kirchbaum Oskar
12. Kraus-Tudiæ Rudolf
13. Kubin Rikard
17. Resch Julio
18. Rubler Dragutin
20. Simovic Julio
21. Steinfel vitez Nikola

I was wondering whether anybody could provide some additional information on these? Btw. I take it that no. 18 is identical with the one I have as Dragutin Rumler at http://www.generals.dk/general/Rumler/D ... oatia.html However this of course leaves me wondering about the correct name.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Nov 2005, 18:02

Kordunas wrote:
Thanks for looking into that. I read an article in Serbo-Croatian claiming they were Jews and thought it may be interesting to look into. They may have been of Jewish decent but of Christian faith... similar to "Hiltlers Jewish Soldiers"
That could be. The Polizeiattaché did a background check on nearly all NDH officers in the rank of Pukovnik and above, and one of the things they were looking for was any evidence of Jewish ancestory. Their wives were also examined for the same purpose. There is considerable correspondence and biographical sketches on these officers and high-ranking civilians in the records of the German Embassy Zagreb. I have been through all of this material and made notes on everyone mentioned. If any of them had a Jewish background, it was duly noted in the sketches.

--Larry

Allen Milcic

Re: Jewish Generals in the NDH?

Post by Allen Milcic » 06 Nov 2005, 23:00

1.Alabanda, inž. Hinko - Engineer of Technology, University of Ljubljana. He was retired as a Colonel of the NDH regular army in January 1944, and unhappy with this decision he joined the Ustaska vojnica. There is no evidence that he was actually promoted to General once the vojnica and regular armed forces of the NDH merged, though he carried the rank in emigration post-war. He was a Roman Catholic from the area of Zadar.

2. Aleman, vitez Ladislav - I have no indication that he was Jewish, though I find it unlikely. He was the Deputy Commander of the Zagreb garrison from February 1945 till the end of the war.

3. Angeli, Edgar - Not a General, but a Vice-Admiral. He was the commander of the NDH Navy from April 14, 1943 till his retirement on April 21, 1944. I have no indication that he was Jewish.

4. Balley, pl. Emanuel - Carried the rank of Colonel, not General. He was retired in October 1942. He comes from an aristocratic family (plemeniti), and I have no indication that he was Jewish.

5. ćuš, Oton - Retired in March 1944 due to his non-radical opinions regarding NDH state policies. No information on being Jewish.

6. Fritz, Julijo - His name was JulijE, not Julijo. Commanded the 10th Croatian Division as of April 1945. No indication that he was Jewish, but rather volksdeuthsch.

7. Gamberger, Josip - I have never heard of this person, and do not believe he was a general in the NDH.

8. Halla, pl. Ferdinand - Also known as Ferdo Halla, he was NOT a general. The highst rank he attained was Colonel (glavnostozerni pukovnik).

9. Heilbich, Dragutin - The surname is spelled HELBICH. He was NOT a general, but a Colonel (glavnostozerni pukovnik).

10. Isser, Ðuro - Surname spelled ISER, his correct name is Juraj. Retired on January 5, 1944 as commander of the 2nd Domobran Corps (II domobranski zbor). No indication that he was Jewish.

11. Kirchbaum, Oskar - Volksdeutsch, not Jewish. Killed during the mutiny in the 13th "Handschar" Division training area in Villefranche-de-Rouerque on September 17, 1943 as an SS battalion commander.

12. Kraus-Tudiæ, Rudolf - I have no information on this person.

13. Kubin Rikard - I have no information on this person, but do not believe he was an NDH General.

To be continued.

Allen/

Serbian boy

Post by Serbian boy » 06 Nov 2005, 23:43

Does anyone know if Slavko Kvaternik was of jewish faith?

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 07 Nov 2005, 00:13

Serbian boy wrote:Does anyone know if Slavko Kvaternik was of jewish faith?
No, his wife was Olga was Jewish.

Allen/

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 07 Nov 2005, 00:44

Here are a couple of the minor people that are not in the published literature:

GAMBERGER, Josip. 08.44 Podpukovnik, CO of the II Motor Transport Battalion with HQ in Bosanski Brod. 01.45 PPuk., CO of a mobilization command in the III Corp area (possibly Sarajevo).

KRAUS-TUDIÆ, Rudolf. I have nothing on him either. I doubt if he existed.

KUBIN, Richard. 06.11.42 Pukovnik, chief of the Judicial Investigation Branch in HQ MINDOM. 02.44 Puk., chief of the Technical Branch? of HQ MINORS (this is last assignment is probably wrong).

--Larry

Allen Milcic

Re: Jewish Generals in the NDH?

Post by Allen Milcic » 07 Nov 2005, 00:50

- Continued -

14. Metzger, vitez Josip (Josef) - Commanded the 4th Croatian Corps as of early 1945. Volksdeutsch.

15. Miesler, Milan - I have no information confirming that he was Jewish.

16. Prauensperger, pl. dr. Milan - Should be PRAUNSPERGER. Descended from an aristocratic family, doctor of law. Commander of the Legal Department of the NDH armed forces and Director of the Military Archives and NDH Museum until his retirement in 1944. I have no indicattion that he was of Jewish descent.

17. Resch, Julio - I have no information on this person.

18. Rubler, Dragutin - Should be RUMLER. Liason officer of the NDH with the Italian II. Armata. Died of natural causes on May 16, 1944. No indication that he was Jewish.

19. Sach, Julio - Originally a naval officer in Austria-Hungary, he was commander of II. Protection Area (II. zastitnog podrucja) of the Territorial Defense (Narodna zastita) when he was killed in an air raid on April 21, 1944. He was possibly of Jewish descent.

20. Simoviæ, Julio - I have no information on this person.

21. Steinfel, vitez Nikola - Not a General but an Admiral. Minister of the Armed Forces of the NDH as of August 30, 1944. No indication that he was of Jewish descent.

22. Šarnbek, Ivan - Served on the Eastern Front as a battalion commander of the 369th Regiment. Later commanded the 5th Infantry Regiment and the 6th Infantry Division. Retired in December 1944 as commander of the 2nd Reserve Regiment. No indication I am aware of that he was of Jewish descent.

23. Šnur, vitez Ivo - Real name Ivan. Post-humously promoted to General after dying of wounds sustained in battle on May 31, 1944 in the village of Spanovica. No indication that he was Jewish.

24. Scholtz (Šolc), Josip - Deputy commander of the 1st Croatian "Storm" Division. No indication that he was of Jewish descent.

25. Tartaglija, Kvintijan - Should be TARTAGLIA. It is my understanding that he was of Italian descent.

26. Wanner, Rudolf - Retired in November 1944 as Director of the Intelligence Department of the Ministry of the Armed Forces of the NDH. No indication that he was Jewish.

27. Zgaga, vitez Mirko - Post-humous promotion to General after his death in battle defending Gospic on October 9, 1943. Roman Catholic from Sibenik.

28. Zorn, Božidar - Commander of the 2nd Croatian Division as of April 21, 1945. Fate unknown. Born in Italy, but I have no information on his religion.

Allen/

Allen Milcic

Post by Allen Milcic » 07 Nov 2005, 00:57

Larry D. wrote:Here are a couple of the minor people that are not in the published literature:

GAMBERGER, Josip. 08.44 Podpukovnik, CO of the II Motor Transport Battalion with HQ in Bosanski Brod. 01.45 PPuk., CO of a mobilization command in the III Corp area (possibly Sarajevo).

KRAUS-TUDIÆ, Rudolf. I have nothing on him either. I doubt if he existed.

KUBIN, Richard. 06.11.42 Pukovnik, chief of the Judicial Investigation Branch in HQ MINDOM. 02.44 Puk., chief of the Technical Branch? of HQ MINORS (this is last assignment is probably wrong).

--Larry
Hi Larry!

Thank you for filling in the blanks concerning Gamberger and Kubin - I was pretty well certain they were not generals, and I'm glad to see I was correct.

Best regards,
Allen/

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 07 Nov 2005, 01:03

Hi again Allen and Kordunas!

Again, some additional information:

REŠ (RESCH), Julije (Julio). 12.41 Podpukovnik, CO of the Koprivnica Garrison Command (and 04.42). 10.04.42 PPuk., appt CO of the Koprivnica Group (1st Bicycle Bn. and some local Ustasha and Gendarmerie) under the Kalnik Brigade for operations in the Kalnik Mountains. 01.05.43 PPuk., appt CO of the Paški Brigade in Karlobag/N Dalmatia (this may be Hinko Reš) (to c. 31.05.43). 07.43 PPuk., CO of Security Sector Kalnik-Bilo in Koprivnica. 11.43 PPuk., CO of the 10th Jäger Rgt. 07.44 Pukovnik, possibly acting CO of the 4th Jäger Brigade for a month or so. 02.08.44 Puk., KIA along the road between Bos. Novi and Zagreb when his car was ambushed by Partisans.

SIMOVIÆ, Julio. No information either - existence doubtful.

TARTAGLIA, Kvintijan(?). 29.07.41 Gend? General, deputy CO of the Croatian Gendarmerie in Zagreb. His first name is questionable.

ZORN, Božidar. c. 04.42 Pukovnik, appt CO of II Mountain Brigade (to 07.42). 01.08.43 Puk., appt CO of 2d Mountain Rgt. (and 10.43). 02.44 Puk., again CO of 2d Mountain Brigade (2d appt - to 01.45). 07.44 Puk., personally awarded the Eisernekreuz II. Klasse by SS-Obergruppenführer Phleps (V. SS-Geb.Korps); Phleps considered Zorn “one of the few worthwhile Croatian officers” (T-175 roll 120/845). c, 01.12.44 General, appt commanding general of the 9th Croatian Mountain Division (to 04.45).

With an endorsement like that from SS-Obergruppenführer und General der Waffen-SS Phleps, I strongly doubt if Zorn was Jewish!!

--Larry

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”