Finding equipment today

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
w9816

Finding equipment today

Post by w9816 » 29 Nov 2005, 14:33

I know this may not be the correct forum but the response has been quite lame when posting in other ones, and maybe this is the forum where the most Finns reside.
What I am looking for here is sources for WW2 "technical" militaria, or to be more specific: parts for restoring a Komsomolets T-20.
Panssarimuseo can/will not sell anything off their "spare" vehicles.
But, since we found our Komso, there might be others out there, maybe too far gone to restore but still having some salvageable parts.
We also heard a rumour of a scrap dealer somewhere in the east of Finland with some kind of "collection" of Soviet vehicles.

So, any tips are most welcome and tips leading to finds will be rewarded...in one way or the other... :D
Attachments
forum.JPG
forum.JPG (138.12 KiB) Viewed 3284 times

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 29 Nov 2005, 14:59

Didn't the Pessi fellow in Kormu have a komsomolet he sold several years ago? I did have some contact with a fellow on the eastern side of Finland . I will dig into my paper to see who that was. Tero T Toronto

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 29 Nov 2005, 18:42

w9816

Can´t help with what you are looking for, but just out of curiosity, where did you find it ?

regards

Esa K

w9816

Post by w9816 » 29 Nov 2005, 20:43

Esa K

The history of the Komsomolets, as it has been told to me:

After the wars, the army sold some equipment, among it was this tractor. It was bought by an army captain from Vaasa and he intended to use it for pulling some kind of plough to clear the Wanha Vaasa channel. He was not so successful in this, the Komso just was not powerful enough. So he sold it to another veteran - who only bought it because it had a brand new battery(!). Later this guy tried to use it for pulling lumber out of the forest but that did not go very well either.

So it was put in the back of his garage and stayed there for some 50 years until last summer when I took an interest in the matter - I had heard before that this guy had some kind of panzer vehicle but never really understood what an opportunity it was. Together with his grandson we pulled the komso out of its resting place and moved it to a better garage, after agreeing that we will not sell it but restore it and show it to everyone interested.

Big portions of the front have been cut off and all hatches are missing but the engine, transmission etc are in pretty good order - we have of course taken it for a few rides around the garage (it really messes up the yard when you make tight turns, does not please the "emäntä") :)

Most of the crew compartment can easily be fabricated from 10mm steel plates but hatches, hinges, some cast parts etc will prove more difficult - that is why we would like to find some "original" items. Also a seat, lights, some electrical equipment is missing..and the list could be made longer.

Tero: hope you find something, would REALLY appreciate it.

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 29 Nov 2005, 21:19

Nice project . Or as we say in Canada " not to paha " I am still digging . I have to make several calls. Regards Tero T Toronto

Esa K

Post by Esa K » 30 Nov 2005, 17:14

w9816

Thanks for the replay, an interesting and, in two ways, small piece of microhistory.

Got an idea, but you maybe allready have tried it: Besides at the Panssarimuseo (Armour Museum), could there be some bits and pieces of "Komso:s" laying around at the Defence Forces shooting ranges. Cause some of the wartime tank material was used in target practise, why should the "Komso:s" had been spared from that purpose...?

regards

Esa K

JTV

Post by JTV » 30 Nov 2005, 17:25

Esa K wrote:w9816

Thanks for the replay, an interesting and, in two ways, small piece of microhistory.

Got an idea, but you maybe allready have tried it: Besides at the Panssarimuseo (Armour Museum), could there be some bits and pieces of "Komso:s" laying around at the Defence Forces shooting ranges. Cause some of the wartime tank material was used in target practise, why should the "Komso:s" had been spared from that purpose...?

regards

Esa K
If they were used that way I doubt there would be much left after all this time. The armoured vehicles I have seen still used as targets in shooting ranges of Defence Forces are typically larger and bit more recent (such as Charioteer and T-54).

JTV

Gespenst

Post by Gespenst » 30 Nov 2005, 17:26

http://www.saunalahti.fi/ility/Parvio.html
Genuine historians can be put in touch with Mr Parvio through [email protected]

This man might be of help if he wishes to answer you.

w9816

Post by w9816 » 07 Dec 2005, 16:01

Update:

Most, if not all, salvageable material from shooting ranges has been taken to Panssarimuseo's facilities.

Mr Parvio was unfortunately not able to help us, but at least he invited us for a chat whenever we are in the neighbourhood...

A rumour says that some 15 years ago there was a Komso at a scrapyard in or near Turku, but nobody knows where it went. Apparently sold but where?

Meanwhile, the work continues although it still mainly comprises cutting off bits and pieces that are not original, and drinking the occasional beer (Karjala of course)

mottimatti

Post by mottimatti » 11 Dec 2005, 18:21

w9816 wrote:Update:

Most, if not all, salvageable material from shooting ranges has been taken to Panssarimuseo's facilities.

Mr Parvio was unfortunately not able to help us, but at least he invited us for a chat whenever we are in the neighbourhood...

A rumour says that some 15 years ago there was a Komso at a scrapyard in or near Turku, but nobody knows where it went. Apparently sold but where?

Meanwhile, the work continues although it still mainly comprises cutting off bits and pieces that are not original, and drinking the occasional beer (Karjala of course)
Pentti ( Mr. Parvio ) is a very helpful gentleman, so if he can not help You, it means that He really can not.
His collection is amazing and It is no surprise, that he does not tell to publicity where it is.

B.t.w: If You are in contact with Pentti, ask him about Lauri "Tahko" Pihkalas birthday celebration at past times ...
Some people have fireworks but Pentti prefers a Howitzer ... 8)

Rgds: Mottimatti

Kimmo L. Kolkka

Komsomolets

Post by Kimmo L. Kolkka » 30 Dec 2005, 18:13

There was one vehicle in the "Laukkarata"-area of Lappeenranta during the 1950-60´s...possible much later,also.The place of it was located ca. 250 m far NW from Mattilanlampi - public swimming hole.Old military-trainig area since the cavalry-times.There was on another place one T-26 or Vickers,as well.Up to the late 1960´sthe Defence Forces had n Lappeenranta some American White - vehicles (½caterpillar tread-mounted) for pulling artillery.
Was it so,that Komsomolets has a Ford - engine (gasolin)?
Kolkka

w9816

Post by w9816 » 30 Dec 2005, 21:15

Kimmo: Yes the engine is a copy of the A-Ford engine, made by GAZ. Quite smooth running when the settings are right, but seems to be very thirsty! And that was noticed when driving it in the summertime, not loaded, just a few laps up and down the road... :D

BTW, we'll check your tip - thanks.

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 26 Jan 2006, 16:03

Hope everyone had a good past holidays. I have dug into my contact in the eastern side of Finland and this was the response.
Tervehdys Kontiorannasta.

Lähetä valokuva (foto) siitä" ajoneuvosta" ja sen osista mitä tarvitset.
Niin taksiautoilija, joka ajaa Venäjän väliä toimittaa kuvat venäläiseen
liikkeeseen ja He ottavat yhteyttä Sinuun sähköpostilla.
Näin voi olla mahdollista saada tarvitsemasi osat.

It looks like some of these armoured vehicles are still operating on the Russian side . More than likely farmers using them to pull trees from the bush. Much like here in Canada where Bren carriers are still found in the forests. When it arrives I will send you the contact info . Regards Tero T Toronto

w9816

Post by w9816 » 26 Jan 2006, 16:12

Thanks Tero, that sound just great.

Tero T

Post by Tero T » 26 Jan 2006, 20:22

can you send me an email at [email protected] and I will put you in direct contact. It is hard to be a middleman this far away. Tero T

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”