Italian American engagements

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Dan the man

Italian American engagements

Post by Dan the man » 12 Jan 2006, 23:15

Does anybody hve any acounts or stories in which Italian and American soldiers fought each other. I've read some stories about some battles in Sicily, and I know that the Italian Waffen SS fought the Ameican at Anzio.
Any info would be appreciated.

-Daniel-

FB

Post by FB » 13 Jan 2006, 09:28

Afaik the first engagement between GIs and Italian soldiers was in Tunisia at the beginning of 1943. Kasserine was the battle.

Best regards

PT Dockyard

Post by PT Dockyard » 15 Jan 2006, 05:04

Read " An Army at Dawn" which gives some good descriptions of these actions.

An early action was Sened Station. The US conducted a few raids on Italian outposts in December 1942 early in the campaign.

heinrichreich
Banned

Re: Italian American engagements

Post by heinrichreich » 22 Jan 2006, 21:15

Dan the man wrote:Does anybody hve any acounts or stories in which Italian and American soldiers fought each other. I've read some stories about some battles in Sicily, and I know that the Italian Waffen SS fought the Ameican at Anzio.

-Daniel-
I think is important remember about the 29a italian waffen ss fought near Cassino that is near to Roma and Anzio for principal way.
In sicily country we can know the frists surrenders people against the u.s. army. The Sicily was the frist region to form one alliance with u.s. militars troops.
Many of 29 italian waffen ss were ex Mvsn ( Milizia volontaria per la sicurezza nazionale ), Bn ( Brigate nere), and Folgore's groups soldiers ( Folgore was and is still the italian aviaton's combat troops- paracadutisti - ).
They don't had the Swastica and Germanics symbols because they had not considered Germanic people. They only were side of the Europe. They had the doubles "S" but they had not the eagle with the Swastica. They had Eagle with down the fascist symbol.
I have read that some people of sicilian mafia had helped the u.s. army and others of sicilian mafia had helped italian and deutsch comrades.
The sicily was cracked in 2 sides. It will have been the same of all Italy to the following future of the first u.s. army invasion to Italy.

In Italy the only division who was considered italien from germanic Volk was the 24 Karstjager waffen ss gebirdivision where you could find: People from Friuli region, Sud Tirol Region, some people from Veneto and piemonte region, austrian people and slovenian people. They had the eagle with swastica.

Lupo Solitario

Re: Italian American engagements

Post by Lupo Solitario » 25 Jan 2006, 15:00

Dan the man wrote:Does anybody hve any acounts or stories in which Italian and American soldiers fought each other. I've read some stories about some battles in Sicily, and I know that the Italian Waffen SS fought the Ameican at Anzio.

-Daniel-
resuming: italian and americans fought each other in Tunisia, Sicily, Anzio and Gothic Line. The first reported fights happened at Kasserine (february 1943) and the last around La Spezia (April 1945)

luigi

Post by luigi » 25 Jan 2006, 16:07

Don't to forget the Livorno Division almost kicking the GI's back to sea at Gela (it seems the allies were considering, at a certain point, to call off the operation) until the naval guns annihilated the attacking party.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”