Uniform question - Police Officer in Sobibór

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Earldor

Uniform question - Police Officer in Sobibór

Post by Earldor » 10 Mar 2006, 16:40

Hi!

Could someone quickly tell me the rank and whatever else you can deduce from the uniforms in this picture:
http://www.deathcamps.org/sobibor/pic/bigp20.jpg. The photo is of Globocnik at the Sobibór station. I'm especially interested whether we can have a positive id on the police officer next to Globus. I think that it might be Reichleitner but I'd like to know your opinions. Pinpointing the date would be nice as well, if possible.

steve248

Globocnik

Post by steve248 » 10 Mar 2006, 22:36

This picture was almost certainly not taken at Sobibor.
The railroad from Chelm via Sobibor station to Wlodawa was only single track during the war.

That the two buildings next to the track look like Sobibor is recognizable because they
look like a lot of station buildings built by railroad companies to a similar design across
the country.

Next Globocnik - to my eyes the collar patches do not seem to suggest those of a
SS-Brigadeführer (Globocnik promoted to this rank on 9 November 1939). So if they
are those of a SS-Oberführer (to which Globocnik was promoted on 25 July 1938)
then the photo was actually taken before 9 November 1939 and could not have been
at Sobibor.

Steve

harmel

Sobibor

Post by harmel » 10 Mar 2006, 22:43

Hi I think that the officer second from the
left is Globocniks loyal disciple Ernst Lerch
Harmel

Max Williams

Re: Globocnik

Post by Max Williams » 11 Mar 2006, 12:11

steve248 wrote:This picture was almost certainly not taken at Sobibor.
The railroad from Chelm via Sobibor station to Wlodawa was only single track during the war.

That the two buildings next to the track look like Sobibor is recognizable because they
look like a lot of station buildings built by railroad companies to a similar design across
the country.

Next Globocnik - to my eyes the collar patches do not seem to suggest those of a
SS-Brigadeführer (Globocnik promoted to this rank on 9 November 1939). So if they
are those of a SS-Oberführer (to which Globocnik was promoted on 25 July 1938)
then the photo was actually taken before 9 November 1939 and could not have been
at Sobibor.

Steve
Sorry, Steve, but I disagree.
The photo is definitely Sobibor station. Although the main track was a single line, at the station (and camp) there were several spurs (one of which led directly into the camp). I have a photo of the station showing the buildings from the opposite direction. Several tracks are evident. This can also be seen in the book "Escape From Sobibor".
Globocnik appears to be wearing SS-Brigadeführer rank insignia, albeit the star (probably metal so not as bright as silver thread) is positioned towards the top of the patch. I have other photos of Globocnik wearing such collar patches.
The man second from left is Ernst Lerch as Harmel correctly identifies. Unfortunately, I don't know the others.
Max.
Attachments
Globocnik Sobibor.jpg
Globocnik Sobibor.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 2037 times

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Mar 2006, 14:01

The 2 overgrown tracks in the foreground are clearly not main running lines and must be sidings. The 2 tracks at the back of the photo must be the main track and a passing loop line in the station for running around locomotives and trains. Gosh, how useful it is to work on the railways ;)
Matt Gibbs

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 11 Mar 2006, 21:17

Matt Gibbs wrote:The 2 overgrown tracks in the foreground are clearly not main running lines and must be sidings. The 2 tracks at the back of the photo must be the main track and a passing loop line in the station for running around locomotives and trains. Gosh, how useful it is to work on the railways ;)
Matt Gibbs
Matt,
I didn't realise you were a Thomas the Tank Engine expert!
Max.

Earldor

Post by Earldor » 12 Mar 2006, 14:10

Thanks for your input, guys.

Can anyone tell the rank of the officer next to Globocnik?

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 13 Mar 2006, 10:07

Is it my eyes or does it appear that we can see the HSF collar patch of Lerch ?

If that is the case then the photo is pre-July 42 when he was promoted SBF.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » 20 Mar 2006, 21:53

that pic was a bit dark so i've lightened it, is it possible now to ID the others in the photo????
Attachments
globocnik_sobibor_271.jpg
globocnik_sobibor_271.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 1613 times

steve248

Sobibor

Post by steve248 » 23 Mar 2006, 18:55

When in doubt ask an expert, so I got in touch with Mike Tregenza now resident in Poland.

The photo is of Sobibor but probably taken in the autumn 1941 before Sobibor camp was built.
In the left background, where a child is sat on a pony, is where the camp fence would be
later erected. Where the big rail wagon can be seen, behind Globocnik, is where the ramp
was later built.

The group:
first left, Max Chichotzki (later called Max Runhof; died Wiesbaden ca 2000)
second left, Lerch
police officer between Lerch and Globocnik, unknown
and on the right, Globocnik.

Jimmy

Re: Sobibor

Post by Jimmy » 23 Mar 2006, 19:19

steve248 wrote: The group:
first left, Max Chichotzki (later called Max Runhof; died Wiesbaden ca 2000)
second left, Lerch
police officer between Lerch and Globocnik, unknown
and on the right, Globocnik.
any further information on Chichotzki/Runhof - why did he change his name? he isn't listed on the Sobibor camp staff at the Aktion Reinhard site???

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”