Hitler and Braun Family Tree

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Ian Sayer

Hitler and Braun Family Tree

Post by Ian Sayer » 30 Mar 2006, 23:44

I have just bought a new book entitled 'The Lost Life of Eva Braun' by Angela Lambert. I haven't read it yet but the thing that struck me most when I opened it was the very sketchy Hitler/Raubal family tree on the inside cover. It's very perfunctory and it reminded me of quite a few other books I have got concerning Hitler, Eva Braun and Geli Raubal, which are mostly in the same category.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try and establish as detailed a family tree as possible for all three families. In most cases, but not all, I have used secondary sources but, I would like to try and achieve THE definitive family tree in order that historians, writers, collectors and other interested parties have an accurate and comprehensive store of information that they can refer to in the future.

To this end, I have made a start. I am now asking forum members if they can help me to achieve this goal as far as it is possible. You will see what I have done on the Raubal family (see this Forum- Raubal Family Tree) so far and I thought I would use this one to get started. I am particularly interested in including as many actual dates and places of births, marriages and deaths.

In addition I would like to incorporate any middle names that are applicable. Additions to the tree will also be most welcome. For example you may not know that Hitler's half sister Angelika (who was also called Geli) subsequently married a Martin Hammitsch who committed suicide two weeks after Hitler! As some of the family were married more than once so any extra marriages would be appreciated.

If anyone can add to the information I already have I will update it on my master copy and republish it on the forum when we have gone as far as we can.

I hope you can help. Even a single date of birth or death will take us another step forward.

Incidentally if you spot any obvious errors please point them out.

If I'm behind the times and somebody else has already accomplished this mission , do let me know, and send me the link!

Many thanks in advance

Ian
Attachments
Braun Family Tree.jpg
Braun Family Tree.jpg (67.02 KiB) Viewed 37824 times
Hitler Family Tree 2.jpg
Hitler Family Tree 2.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 37823 times
Hitler Family Tree 1.jpg
Hitler Family Tree 1.jpg (162.2 KiB) Viewed 37831 times

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 15 Jun 2006, 17:18

Come on folks, this is a superb idea and someone must have little snippets of information which could expand the thread.
Max.

Eva

Post by Eva » 03 Jul 2006, 07:08

I know I have some data on Ilse Braun's husband someplace and I may have other info as well. I am almost certain Gretl married again, although I am almost certain that Eva Fegelein did not. I'll find what I have and post it...

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 03 Jul 2006, 09:24

Great! Every little helps.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 Aug 2006, 04:35

Gretl Braun Fegelein married a Kurt Berlinghoff in Munich on 6 February 1954.

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 06 Aug 2006, 14:33

Thanks very much Geoff. I've added that and I will post a revised version of the Family Tree when I have received a few more amendments/additions
Best
Ian

robertsandhurst

Hitler's family today

Post by robertsandhurst » 11 Mar 2007, 10:58

A recent docu says the family of Hitler’s direct descendant and nephew William Patrick Hitler has made a pact to finish the clan. A new play telling their story will be staged in West End next year

Long island: For the Germans, the Fuhrer is a memory best assigned to the darkest corner of their attic. But for the Hitlers, the name itself is a dark reminder of the Holocaust. It is even believed that the surviving clan has made a pact to bring the family’s genes to an end.

Their story is told in a new play, Little Willy, by Mark Kassen, which is set to transfer from New York to the West End next year.

It all began with Hitler’s nephew William Patrick, the son of an Irish woman Bridget Dowling and Alois Hitler, the older half-brother of the Fuhrer. He fought against his uncle’s forces by joining the US Navy in World War II.

His parents had eloped to England and married on June 3, 1910. They later settled in Liverpool. Born on March 12, 1911, William grew up as an Englishman in London since his father went bankrupt in 1914 and Bridget refused to follow him to Germany.

It wasn’t until 1929, the year of Hitler’s second Nuremberg rally, that William, aged 18, decided to visit his father in Germany, to meet his famous Uncle Adolf.

In 1933, Hitler became Chancellor, and his nephew began to enjoy special treatment, both socially — with regular invitations to Nazi country house gatherings — and at work.

He also managed to get a seat in the Third Reich by threatening to go public with the truth about the Fuhrer’s ancestry — that his paternal grandfather was a Jewish merchant called Leopold Frankenberger who had had an affair with his grandmother Maria. But the war and the threat of being trapped in Germany forced him to dissociate from Hitler.

In early 1939, he went to the US with his mother and applied to join the army, to fight his uncle’s Nazi forces. In a note to President Roosevelt, he wrote, “I would like to see active combat as soon as possible and thereby be accepted by my comrades as one of them in this great struggle for liberty.” After being investigated by the FBI, he was accepted by the US Navy.

After being demobbed in 1946, he disappeared from public view, changing his name to William Stuart-Houston. In 1947, he married Phyllis, a German girl he had known in Europe in the 30s. He set up a business analysing blood samples for hospitals.

They named their first-born Alexander Adolf, an extraordinary choice given the past they professed to be so desperate to escape. The family stayed out of the public gaze until the secret of their identity was uncovered a few years ago by David Gardner, the author of The Last Of The Hitlers.

William Patrick died in 1987 at the age of 76. Phyllis, said, “My husband never wanted anyone to know who he was. There’s been enough trouble with this name.”

Later, the couple’s son Alexander said, “My father was a good guy. He came to the United States, he served in the US Navy, he had four kids and a good life. He was anti-Nazi and anti-Hitler."

One of the four sons died in a car crash and today, the three surviving siblings, the last-known descendants of Adolf Hitler, Alex (56), Louis (54), and Brian (40), refuse to talk to journalists, saying they are writing a book of their own about their family history.

Five years ago, when the brothers last spoke in public, none had fathered children — indeed, a documentary at that time claimed they had made a pact to bring the family’s genes to an end, though this was denied by the eldest son.

Geoff Walden

Maria Anna Schicklgruber's Birth Date

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Aug 2007, 12:38

Ian,

I don't have my reference books here to corroborate, but Maria Anna Schicklgruber-Hitler's grave marker at the church in Döllersheim showed her birth date as 17 April 1785. Did they get the date wrong when they put this marker there in 1938?

Regards,

Geoff Walden

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 30 Aug 2007, 10:48

Hi Geoff,
Sorry for the delay. I've been away. I think the birth year I gave of 1796 was a typo and that it should have been 1795. I had a look at your 'Find a Grave' entry and the photo you have there of the original marker. I must admit it looks more like 1795 than 1785 to me . What do you think? If she was born in 1785 then she had Alois when she was 52.
Regards

Ian

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 31 Aug 2007, 17:47

Ian,

I think you're right. Even under magnification it looks like an 8 to me, BUT, it does not look like the 8 just below in her death date. I think it is actually a 9.

Geoff

jeffhan373

Re: Hitler and Braun Family Tree

Post by jeffhan373 » 13 Apr 2008, 20:11

Anyone wanting to do serious genealogical research into the Hitler family tree would do well to acquire a 1937 book called "Die Ahnentafel des Fuehrers" by Rudolf Koppensteiner (Leipzig: Zentralstelle fuer deutsche Personen and Familiengechichte). It pops up occasionally, and is unfortunately quite expensive, but the wealth of information it has is amazing. Loads of biographies, photos, etc, and very handsomely produced. It's clearly a State/Party approved book, so you won't get any controversial entries but it's a must for those wishing to construct a detailed family tree.

Another interesting period work is Albert Reich: "Aus Adolf Hitlers Heimat" (Munich: Franz Eher, 1933), which is far less academic than Koppensteiner but has many interesting photos, including some of Hitler's more obscure relatives....

jeffhan373

Post by jeffhan373 » 13 Apr 2008, 20:15

Btw, Koppensteiner gives Anna Maria Schickelgruber's birth date as April 15, 1795, in the village of Strones...

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 14 Apr 2008, 13:49

Hi jeffhan 373
Thanks very much for your input. I will get hold of a copy and update this sticky as soon as I can.
Regards
Ian

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 21 May 2008, 16:28

Dear Ian

You seem to have a confusion in your opening mail regarding the Hitler/Raubal family tree with regard to Geli Raubal. The best source to sort out the intermarrying is August Kubizek: Adolf Hitler war mein Jugendfreund. This book includes details from the application for a papal dispensation required before Hitler's father and mother could marry. The documents is in File 6, 911/II/2 1884 at the Linz bishopric ordinariat.

Problem (1)
Adolf Hitler's father was Alois Hitler. Alois Hitler was the son of Johann Georg Hiedler.
Adolf Hitler's mother was Klara Pölzl. She was the daughter of Johanna Pölzl née Hiedler, and the grand-daughter of Johann Nepomuk Hiedler.
Johann Georg Hiedler, Hitler's paternal grandfather, and Johann Nepomuk Hiedler, Hitler's maternal great-grandfather, were brothers.
This meant that Klara Pölzl and Alois Hitler were niece and uncle in the second degree, and papal permission was required for them to marry. This was granted in 1884.

Problem (2)
Adolf Hitler's father Alois Hitler had a daughter, Angela Raubal, born in 1883 by another marriage. She was therefore Hitler's half-sister.
Angelika "Geli" Raubal was the daughter of Angela Raubal.
Adolf Hitler's father Alois Hitler was Geli Raubal's paternal grandfather. Because of this, Hitler's mother Klara Pölzl was Geli's aunt. This meant that Hitler and Geli were uncle and niece in the first degree, and first cousins. Papal permission to marry would not be granted for such a close relationship.

It is known from the most reliable personal sources close to Hitler and Geli in the 1929/1931 period that Geli and Hitler were anxious to marry. On the day of her suicide Geli had gone through Hitler's private papers after a quarrel and if Hitler had made the application for permission to marry and the papal dispensation had been denied, and Geli had found it, this may have unbalanced Geli's mind sufficiently for her to commit suicide on 18 September 1931.

Generalleutnant der Waffen-SS Hermann Fegelein was shot by firing squad in the Reich Chancellery Gardens on 28 April 1945 for being absent without leave.

junebaby

Post by junebaby » 08 Sep 2009, 15:46

Your family tree looks good.Have you or any researchers looked into Maria Shickelgruber's family history?
I'm just curious if anyone has.Does anyone know if Adolf Hitler's family kept a family history book?
There are german families that do have them, so I guess maybe Austrian families might follow the same custom.
If there was one,it might offer more detailed information on their background,etc.Of course one would have to contact any living relatives to see if there was such a thing.
From what my dad told me,his family the Hilperts have one which a cousin in Nuremberg in in charge of. Unfortunately,
right now I don't have the money to go to Germany, maybe later on.

If Hitler's family did have such a book, assuming they ever kept one, and it could be found, I wonder if it would name
who Adolf' Hitler's real grandfather was. I have read somewhere about Alois Hitler's father supposedly being jewish.
From this Frankenburger fellow to some Rothschild cousin. Since this was the Austro-Hungarian empire, Alois's father could have been a Bohemian or Hungarian, or even another Austrian, and not neccesarily a jew.
Has anyone ever really looked in to who Maria Shickelgruber's employers were to back up the theory of the jewish grandfather for Adolf? Or how many jews were in the area at the time?

Maybe buried in some documents in the national archives in Vienna,is information on Hitler's background. I read somewhere that supposedly the Chancellor of Austria,forgot his name did a family background check of Hitler and supposdely Adolf had a jewish grandfather and that i believe Hans Frank was the source of the story.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”