Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Giovanni Acuto

Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions

Post by Giovanni Acuto » 18 Apr 2006, 22:41

At the site below is the official 1935 translation into English of the complete Mussolini/Gentile article first published in the Enciclopedia Italiana in 1932.

http://www.worldfuturefund.org/wffmaste ... solini.htm

Giovanni Acuto

Post by Giovanni Acuto » 20 Apr 2006, 10:05

If anyone is aware of any distortions or discrepancies from the original version (traduttore traditore!), I hope they will be good enough to point them out.

StanislavB.

Post by StanislavB. » 15 May 2006, 08:30

Greetings,

the preface to this translation says: "This translation includes all the footnotes from the original".
However, I'm unable to found any italian version of "Doctrine" that includes this footnotes. Can you point me to one?

Giovanni Acuto

Post by Giovanni Acuto » 15 May 2006, 21:28

StanislavB. wrote:Greetings,

the preface to this translation says: "This translation includes all the footnotes from the original".
However, I'm unable to found any italian version of "Doctrine" that includes this footnotes. Can you point me to one?
Perhaps the meaning is that this online version contains all the footnotes from the original printed 1935 English version?

StanislavB.

Post by StanislavB. » 15 May 2006, 21:34

The problem is that I have Russian translation from Italian made also in 30-s and it contains the same footnotes as I see in this English version. So I think they must be existed in Italian original and I'm looking for it.

Giovanni Acuto

Post by Giovanni Acuto » 15 May 2006, 22:52

StanislavB. wrote:The problem is that I have Russian translation from Italian made also in 30-s and it contains the same footnotes as I see in this English version. So I think they must be existed in Italian original and I'm looking for it.
It would certainly be interesting to find (and compare) such an original.

I wonder though if perhaps there was a series of translations into foreign (non-Italian) languages, for which footnotes were specially created?

StanislavB.

Post by StanislavB. » 16 May 2006, 18:53

I wonder though if perhaps there was a series of translations into foreign (non-Italian) languages, for which footnotes were specially created?
I wonder why it has been made? This is somehow strange, do you agree?

The source of Russian translation is following:

"Ïåðåâîäú ñú Èòàëüÿíñêîãî Â. Í. ÍÎÂÈÊÎÂÀ Èçäàòåëüñòâî "ÂÎÇÐÎÆÄÅÍÈÅ" - "LÀ RENAISSANCE" 73, avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris-8-eme, 1938".

("Translation from Italian of V.N. Novikov, publishing house "Vozrozhdenie" - "LÀ RENAISSANCE" 73, avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris-8-eme, 1938".)

Giovanni Acuto

Post by Giovanni Acuto » 16 May 2006, 22:20

StanislavB. wrote:
I wonder why it has been made? This is somehow strange, do you agree?

The source of Russian translation is following:

"Ïåðåâîäú ñú Èòàëüÿíñêîãî Â. Í. ÍÎÂÈÊÎÂÀ Èçäàòåëüñòâî "ÂÎÇÐÎÆÄÅÍÈÅ" - "LÀ RENAISSANCE" 73, avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris-8-eme, 1938".

("Translation from Italian of V.N. Novikov, publishing house "Vozrozhdenie" - "LÀ RENAISSANCE" 73, avenue des Champs-Elysees, Paris-8-eme, 1938".)
If you mean specifically why there was a Russian translation, I wondered too. It's not a book that would have been a big seller in Stalingrad! Then it occurred to me it was probably intended for the Russian emigre community. ADDENDUM - I see from an internet search that Vozrozhdenie was a Paris-based newspaper that represented the constitutional monarchist element in that community.

StanislavB.

Post by StanislavB. » 16 May 2006, 22:40

In reality I meant: why were footnotes made specifically for translations into foreign languages? This seems strange to me. It's easier to assume that there was an Italian edition of "La Dottrina" with these footnotes and it's strange that we can't found it.

But there's a point in the Russian preface:
 1932 ãîäó Ìóññîëèíè ïîñ÷èòàë ñâîåâðåìåííûì äàòü ñâîåìó ó÷åíèþ çàêîí÷åííóþ ôîðìóëèðîâêó, ÷òî îí ñäåëàë â ñâîåé ðàáîòå "Äîêòðèíà ôàøèçìà", ïîìåùåííîé â 14 òîì èòàëüÿíñêîé ýíöèêëîïåäèè. Äëÿ îòäåëüíîãî èçäàíèÿ ýòîé ðàáîòû îí äîïîëíèë åå ïðèìå÷àíèÿìè. Äëÿ Ðóññêîãî ÷èòàòåëÿ âåñüìà âàæíî îçíàêîìèòñÿ ñ ýòèì ïðîèçâåäåíèåì Á. Ìóññîëèíè.
In 1932 Mussolini considered time to be good to give his teaching a complete wording, what he has made in his work "The Doctrine of Fascism", that has been put in 14 volume of Italian encyclopedy. For individual publication of this work he supplied it with footnotes. It's very important for Russian reader to become familiar with this work of B.Mussolini.
So we can conclude that there was a separate edition of "La Dottrina" and it would be curious to find this work.

As for Russian translation you're right, it was translated for emigre community as you can see from address of publishing house (Paris). It's supplied with a preface telling about greatness of fascism and some info on Russian fascist organisations, maybe the most known of them was "Russian Fascist Party" led by V.K. Rodzaevski.

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”