Opinions about With our backs to Berlin

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Jones

Opinions about With our backs to Berlin

Post by Jones » 24 Dec 2007, 12:42

Hey guys

Ive been thinking about buying With our backs to Berlin (Tony Le Tissier) for a while, but i would like some opinions on how the guys that accualy read the book thinks about it.

Thank you in advance and a merry christmas :)

thomas.ham

Post by thomas.ham » 24 Dec 2007, 15:05

With our backs to Berlin is an excellent collection of 10 semi-short stories of soldier's experiences in that grand battle. There are 9 German stories and 1 Russian one. Some of the stories give you an idea of the tenacity of the combat in that desperate last defence of the Reich, and some like the one about the siege of Klessin on the Reitwen Spur is truly amazing. All the stories are complimented with pictures and detailed maps, and these, combined with google earth, allow you track the soldiers accounts easily. I plan to visit the former Oder Front soon to visit some sites, and this book was the book which inspired me to do so, and I will be visiting the sites out of the book. Unlike Beevors 'Berlin' it offers information on particular battles on a Kompanie level, rather than viewing it at Korps and Division level. I'd rate it 10/10
I would also suggest 'Berlin Soldier' by Helmut Altner. This is a stunning account of the Battle for Berlin.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 25 Dec 2007, 00:46

"With our Backs to Berlin" is an excellent book. If you like that one I also recommend Tony Le Tissier's book "Death was my Companion."

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 25 Dec 2007, 10:38

Read it. You won't be sorry.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”