Question about SS-Officer's/Soldier's camo helmet cover.....

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
ustuf_witt

Question about SS-Officer's/Soldier's camo helmet cover.....

Post by ustuf_witt » 03 Jan 2008, 05:16

Hi everyone,
I was wondering which camo helmet covers an Officer or Soldier in the SS would wear keeping with historical accuracy and authenticity. For example, would they wear only the dot pattern or perhaps tan and water or oak splinter etc.
Please explain.
Thanks very much,
Untersturmführer Witt
Wehrmachtführungsstab
"1.SS Pz-Division Leibstandarte"

jugendkrieger

Post by jugendkrieger » 03 Jan 2008, 06:41

Herr Witt.

There is alot for you to learn about the Waffen SS before you should reenact an officer, Im not against you. heres the scoop.

Tan and water is a WH pattern and would not be worn by Waffen-SS
Dot 44 Camo Helmet covers NEVER existed.

You should be looking for Oak A, Oak B, or Plane Tree

Tchüß!
Marc

WolfgangKessler

Post by WolfgangKessler » 03 Jan 2008, 15:55

I'd go with Plane Tree.

As Jugend stated, Dot 44 camo covers were'nt issued or existed as an issue item. Same with Dot 44 caps.

ustuf_witt

Post by ustuf_witt » 03 Jan 2008, 16:39

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help with this. I did some research and discovered also that the Oak A/type 1 would be the most appropriate to use. I hadn't planned on being in combat or in any type of command of a line unit so I hadn't really researched the camo that would be authentic for my impression. Now thanks to your advice and a little research I am sure that the cover I got will be the best one for it.
Thanks again,
Untersturmführer Witt

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 03 Jan 2008, 17:55

ustuf_witt wrote: I did some research and discovered also that the Oak A/type 1 would be the most appropriate to use.
Research FIRST ask for help second :wink:

Ian

ustuf_witt

Post by ustuf_witt » 03 Jan 2008, 19:59

Sorry, I'll do that next time for sure. Thanks for the help.
SS-Untersturmführer Witt

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 04 Jan 2008, 00:57

Try telling collectors on some of the other forums that Dot44 never existed on covers or caps and they explode with a hissy-fit of anger...because they are either trying to sell one themselves, or have one and they know they got burned...
a day does not go by in which there is a port somewhere asking about Dot 44, man does it get old after a while.. :lol:

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 04 Jan 2008, 03:03

To put it precisely, camouflaged helmet covers, field caps and zeltbahns were not FACTORY-made of the dot camouflaged pattern. Some of these, principally the helmet covers and field caps COULD have been made in the field; however, without a ton of provenance I wouldn't touch one. Realize that many field caps were field-made and used the zeltbahns. Into 1944, when the dot camouflaged pattern came out, zeltbahns, the primary source of camouflaged field-made garments, were no longer being manufactured. So they would have to take damaged jackets or trousers to make these... not a lot of material there.

To answer one of Herr Witt's: Waffen-SS troops would wear whichever camouflaged pattern that was issued to them. You can see many era photos of different camouflaged patterns being worn in the same picture and a lot of times the patterns between the helmet covers and the smocks didn't necessarily match.

Luft300

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 04 Jan 2008, 17:35

A degree of historical study doesn't hurt either ...... the issue and widespread circulation of the '44 Dot' or 'Pea Pattern' camouflage coincided with the big downturn in the fortunes of the Waffen SS. The invasion of Normandy in June 44 eventually committed all the SS Divisions in the North West, most (if not all) of which received a severe mauling at the hands of the Allied ground and more particularly Air Forces. Most of these Divisions were either in a state of refitting (i.e. 'LSSAH' and 'Das Reich' Panzer Divisions) or initial formation ('Hitler Jugend' and 'GvB' Panzer Grenadier Divisions) In this circumstance to then picture a company tailor running up helmet covers and field caps is perhaps unlikely to say the least. Even IF he had the time the most commonly available material was the newly confiscated Italian Cammo, which we DO see occasionally made into caps, short jackets and the like ..... don't ever recall seeing a helmet cover though ?

Herr Ustuf Witt might even like to note that even the 'rear echelon' Divisional HQ units were attacked everytime they moved in daylight and under regular naval bombardment .... which claimed the life of your 'namesake' .

Ian.

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 05 Jan 2008, 03:32

Good answer Ian!

Luft300

jugendbatavia

Post by jugendbatavia » 05 Jan 2008, 19:23

Hi, what about blurred edge camo? does it even exist in use as helmet cover/m43 cap?

Luft300

Post by Luft300 » 06 Jan 2008, 00:33

Yes, but once again it was printed on waterproof cotton duck. Once stocks of this material were extinguished, then they started using HBT and smooth cotton and some garments were discontinued.

Luft300

schutzearsch

Post by schutzearsch » 09 Jan 2008, 04:28

Soldiers also often Painted there helmets with colors that where captured in stores, households depots or something else or smeared them with dirt and mud.

Ian Hulley

Post by Ian Hulley » 09 Jan 2008, 14:54

schutzearsch wrote:Soldiers also often Painted there helmets with colors that where captured in stores, households depots or something else or smeared them with dirt and mud.
8O

schutzearsch

Post by schutzearsch » 09 Jan 2008, 18:20

What? ^^

It's the truth ^^

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”