The airfield in Kramatorskaja

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Konstantin

The airfield in Kramatorskaja

Post by Konstantin » 25 Jul 2009, 19:23

Dear colleagues, in my town Kramatorsk (Kramatorskaja, Stalin region) during the Second World War to deploy German airport. I would be grateful to all for any information, photos, links to sources of information.
Best regards. Кonstantin.

Bokkop

Re: The airfield in Kramatorskaja

Post by Bokkop » 25 Jul 2009, 20:35

You will some information on the internet using both the "Kramatorskaja" and "Kramatorskaya" spellings.

Interestingly, during the battle for Kursk it was home for a while to Sturzkampfgeschwader 2, which included (then Captain) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 26 Jul 2009, 01:26

Kramatorskaja (e. Kramatorskaya) - S Russia (82 km north of Stalino); Eh.; ZNr 403; Mq. Z49794
Today: Kramators’k/82 km north of Donets’k in eastern Ukraine.

As best I can determine, it was an Einsatzhafen (operational airfield) operated by a Flugplatzkommando (small airfield command). I can find no reference to its use prior to March 1943.
I./St.G. 2 moved to Kramatorskaya 13 May 1943 but was only there for a week or so.
III./St.G. 77 was there in June 1943 (to 20 June), and again from 17 July to mid-August 1943.
4./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4 was there mid-March 1943 to August 1943.
Also used by Aufklärungs- (reconnaissance) units during 1942-43.

Can you please tell us what you know about its use by the Luftwaffe?

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 26 Jul 2009, 19:00

Larry D. wrote:Kramatorskaja (e. Kramatorskaya) - S Russia (82 km north of Stalino); Eh.; ZNr 403; Mq. Z49794
Today: Kramators’k/82 km north of Donets’k in eastern Ukraine.

As best I can determine, it was an Einsatzhafen (operational airfield) operated by a Flugplatzkommando (small airfield command). I can find no reference to its use prior to March 1943.
I./St.G. 2 moved to Kramatorskaya 13 May 1943 but was only there for a week or so.
III./St.G. 77 was there in June 1943 (to 20 June), and again from 17 July to mid-August 1943.
4./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4 was there mid-March 1943 to August 1943.
Also used by Aufklärungs- (reconnaissance) units during 1942-43.

Can you please tell us what you know about its use by the Luftwaffe?
Hello, Larry D!
Unfortunately, very few know. Virtually nothing. They did not even know where exactly it was located in our city. There are several versions, but all of them are contradictory and dubious. If my colleagues in Europe can provide photographs of the war the airfield, the ability to determine the location of his deployment was a success.
Let me give excerpts from the book of Michael Zefirov «Volga. Luftwaffe aircraft against the Stalinist »:
«... At the same time, all new city came to the range of Luftwaffe bombers. However, due to lack of forces operations were carried out targeted strikes on a small group of aircraft. Thus, on the night of October 6, 1941, three no-111 of 5 th Squadron KG55 «Grayf» bombed Kramatorsk machine-building enterprise ...

... Another 10 July 1942, when the bombers of the 2 nd and 3 rd group KG55 «Grayf» arrived at the airfield in Kramatorsk, squadron commander, Lt. oberst Benno Kosh was ordered «disturb the day and night movement of ships on the Volga from Saratov to Astrakhan ». However, immediately to implement it was not possible, it was necessary to bring to an adequate supply of aviation airfields min. It took ten days. As a result, the command of the 8 th Кorp. Luftwaffe decided to start placing mines on the night of July 23 while making a raid on Stalingrad ...

... The German aircraft, to strike at Stalingrad and the Volga Shipping, based at airfields near the front line to put forward. «Junkers» 51-th squadron «Edelweiss» operating from the airfield in Stalino (Donetsk), «Heynkel» 2-nd and 3 rd group of 55 th squadron «Grayf» - from the air in Kramatorsk, a I./ KG55 - from the air Kuteynikovo. On July 27, 1942 I./KG51 had 17 serviceable Ju-88, and P. and III./KG55 - 41 He -111 ...

... Do not wait for a new approach, the captain «Mikhail Kalinin» ordered to raise the anchor, and he barely away from the river bottom, and gave full speed ahead, offshore. At the same time, the commander of the military unit has gathered a group of fighters with anti-guns, and moved with them to the upper deck of the steamer, ordered to take a comfortable position for shooting. And here again growing rumble of engines and has the silhouette of the aircraft. The soldiers, as they had thirty people, raised the barrels of guns up and followed him approaching. Main was not falling and did not start fire. And so, when were already clearly visible widely spread wings, and two of the engine, commanding roar: «salvo!»Then the improbable happened, from the belly bomber flames, and through the second, he broke out in the night sky like a torch, and then turned sharply to the west and was rapidly removed, leaving behind a barely discernible plume of smoke ... probably. This was not the He -111 non-commissioned officer of Ion 6-th squadron KG55 «Grayf».On this day, July 30, 1942, he flew from the airfield Kramatorsk with job to attack ships on the Volga, and never came back. The entire bomber crew, consisting of Walter Jona, navigator feldfebel Vallbenshtayn Martin, chief flight radio operator-lance-corporal, Peter and Philip, and flight mechanic non-commissioned officer of Friedrich Wilhelm and the lance-corporal chief Heinz Shleynhege since missing. This was the first loss of the Germans during the attack on the Volga river transport .... »

Here are excerpts from an article on the Romanian pilot Ion Milu:

«... It was the third on the impact of Romanian fighter pilot during the Second World War. Ion Milu was born in 1902 in the city of Brasov.At age 19 he entered the flying school, located on the airport of Liquid and in 1922, with the rank of sergeant, began his career in military aviation ...
... Autumn of 1940, Adjutant Milu was included in the Gr.7 Van., Equipped German fighter Me -109E-3. In summer - autumn 1941 He took part in battles on the Eastern Front, and until such time as the team was withdrawn in Romania, managed to win three victories. In September 1942, he again returned to the Eastern Front and in the Gr.7 Van. participated in the battles in the area of Stalingrad, but was unable to win any victories.After heavy losses, has been withdrawn to Romania for replenishment and rest and then returned to the front line in spring 1943, By this time, Milu summer of Esc.57 Van. under the command of Captain Sherbanesku ...
... 03.45 In May 6, 1943 Kramatorsk from the airfield, where the time was based Gr.7 Van., Picked up a pair of "Messerschmitt" who fly Adjutant Ion Milu and George Firu. Under the fuselage of each aircraft was suspended for one 250-kg bomb, which they should have been reset to one of the Soviet artillery batteries. Shortly after takeoff the Romanian pilots saw at a height of two thousand meters, a group of 18 IL-2, which under the guise of 20 La-5 flew in the direction of the airfield. Dropping bombs on the planned purpose, both "Messerschmitt" at the maximum speed to Kramatorsk returned and attacked the enemy. This allowed to rise into the air three Romanian fighter. During the fierce battle Milu was able to shoot three La-5, but that and his Bf-109G was getting into the fuel tank. The plane began rapidly losing fuel, Milu was forced to withdraw from the battlefield and in the 04.20 safely landed Kramatorsk

Bokkop

Post by Bokkop » 26 Jul 2009, 19:11

Here is what looks like a personal account of the air war in Russia. If accurate, Kramatorskaja was used by KG 55 in August 1942 and at least until October to bomb Stalingrad.

http://www.privat-militaria.de/cms/show ... p?p=132050

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 26 Jul 2009, 23:03

Thank you, Konstantin, for the additional information!

Here are the exact dates that the KG 55 components were based at Kramatorskaya, along with the dates for two Romanian units:

Stab/KG 55: 14.7.42 – 3.8.42
II./KG 55: 14.7.42 – 3.8.42
III./KG 55: 14.7.42 – 5.8.42

Grupul VII Vinâtoare (Romanian 7th Fighter Group): 12.4.43 – 6.6.43
Grupul VIII Asalt (Romanian 8th Ground Attack Group): 10.8.43 – 7.9.43

I also think some transport units used Kramatorskaya between 12.42 and 4.43.

The location of the airfield is given as 4.8 km east-south-east of the city center of Kramatorskaya (Kramators'k), with the following coordinates:

048º 42' 45" North
037º 37' 14" East

I hope that helps!

Larry

Konstantin

Post by Konstantin » 27 Jul 2009, 19:58

Thank you, Larry, for the valuable information for me!
Tell me, and not whether old photos of this airport? Is it possible to publish these photos on this forum?
The location of the airfield is given as 4.8 km east-south-east of the city center of Kramatorskaya (Kramators'k), with the following coordinates:

048º 42' 45" North
037º 37' 14" East
These coordinates - it is the center of the city at all times, in what year? The point is that in our city there is still a military airfield in the Soviet Union there was based anti-aircraft regiment. There can be such that a Soviet airfield was built on the site of the German? Is not that the place you have in mind when talking about «The location of the airfield is given as 4.8 km east-south-east of the city center of Kramatorskaya »?
Best regards. Кonstantin.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 28 Jul 2009, 00:02

Hi Konstantin -

Photos: I do not know of any photos. Presumably, there are a few in private collections but I think they would be difficult to find. One out of every 5 Germans had a camera with him during the war, so surely some of those stationed at Kramatorskaya took some photographs!

Airfield Location: those coordinates are from a digital map produced about 1996. The map shows an airplane symbol at those coordinates. It was very common for the Germans to take over VVS airfields and vice versa. As soon as one side evacuated the airfield, the other side would move in. 60% to 70% of the airfields used by the Luftwaffe in the USSR were former VVS airfields. Why take the time to build a new one when you can take over an old one by filling in a few bomb craters and disarming a few booby-traps and making it serviceable again?

Larry :)

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”