Question about a "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Falou

Question about a "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon"

Post by Falou » 03 Jan 2004, 17:33

Hello all,

I've a little question about Order of Battle!

I've read that in an Infanterie-Division "type 45", there are 3 Grenadier-Regiment. But there are also an divisional unit called "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon". What is the use of this Bataillon? Is it always a "bicycle" bataillon?

I'm asking this question because a friend and me are making research on the "Döberitz Infantry-Division". On the book "German Order of Battle" from Mr Nafziger, at page 387 (oob from this division), it is not precised if this "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon 303" has bicycle or not.... so, I suppose answer is not! But in this case, what are the use of this unit?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Regards

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 03 Jan 2004, 18:24

Hello!

The Div.Füs.Btl. evolved basically from the Aufklärungsabteilung. In 1944 one company was bicycle mobile in 1945 the battalions were transferred to the infantry arm of service and fully bicycle mobile.

It was organized like a Grenadier-Btl. with Stab, 3 Kompanien, schwere Kompanie.
Personnel: 13/2/113/580 (91 Hiwis)

\Christoph

Falou

Post by Falou » 03 Jan 2004, 18:43

Thanks for these infos.

So, on 4 February 45, the "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon 303" of the "Döberitz Infantry-Division" is theoretically fully bicycle mobile... is it exact?

But have you an idea why Mr Nafziger don't precise it on his oob?
Is it possible that, on 4 february 45, this "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon 303" ,who is supposed fully bicycle mobile, has no bicycle and fought like a classical grenadier bataillon?

By the way, do you have the K.St.N of a "Division-Füsilier-Kompany"? (xcuse but I don't know the exact name of a kompany who is part of a "Division-Füsilier-Bataillon" :oops:

Once again, thanks for your help! You and Mister Christian Ankerstjerne
are really my "savior" on this forum! It's very kind! :D

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 03 Jan 2004, 20:53

Yes, theoretically it should be fully equipped with bicycles.

I have KStN 149V Füsilierkompanie (auf Fahrrad):
http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/kstn/kstn149v1sep44.htm

\Christoph

Roger Griffiths

Post by Roger Griffiths » 04 Jan 2004, 23:28

Although the ID45 Fuesilier Battalion was supposed to be bicycle born, not all were. 359 and 371 ID's did not show any bicycle symbols at least early in 1945.

There's more to Fuesilier Battalions. In France the term had meant line infantry, in Britain elite infantry like grenadiers. In German usage it meant light infantry. In the WM there had been a history of infiltration troops going back to at least 1943. I was told of one example. Either at Salerno or Anzio, RM Commando's and U.S. Rangers had to be put into the line. They were assaulted by Panzer Grenadiers of HG Panzer Division. HG MG's and mortars fired in narrow zones with fire free zones between them. Their infantry advanced through the fire free zones. As they closed, fire started from BEHIND Allied lines. HG PG's or Recon troops had infiltrated the night before. I think this is what Fuesilier Battalions were for. Bicycles are probably thought quite quaint these days. Wrong, a man walks at 3 to 3 and a half mph. a bicycle about 10 to 11 mph, it is worthwhile and quite popular in early 20th century. Same principal applies to horses. Historical cavalry has had no place on battlefield since before WWI. However, as transport for mounted infantry they are very useful. 20 mph plus.

Roger

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”