Churchill quote

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Daniel L

Churchill quote

Post by Daniel L » 06 Jan 2006, 19:12

Often one can see this quote attributed to Winston Churchill after the war. Did he in fact say this? Exactly what did he mean by this? If it is part of a speech or longer text, does anyone know where one can find it?

"Germany's unforgivable crime before the second world war was its attempt to loosen its economy out of the world trade system and to build up an own exchange system from which the world-finance couldn't profit anymore."

Best regards/ Daniel

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 08 Jan 2006, 02:46

Surely someone must have a clue...?

Best regards/ Daniel

spirit.of.sacrifice

Post by spirit.of.sacrifice » 08 Jan 2006, 12:15

I've seen that quote before... it was in a listing of quotes against Nazi-germany.. also quotes to the lines of "the war with Germany was an economic measure and there was nothing wrong with nazism"... I've never been able to verify these quotes. I'll see if I can find the rest of the quotations.

Hueylongforpresident

Post by Hueylongforpresident » 09 Jan 2006, 01:40

[quote="D. Löwenhamn"]Surely someone must have a clue...?

Best regards/ Daniel[/quote]

well .... for one thing the quote, starting from the word "loosen", doesn't actually make any sense. As English, I mean, and of course no offence is intended. It appears to be an attempt to convey the idea that the 3R's "crime" was trying to isolate itself from the world marketplace? But they didn't do that at all - their dependence on Swedish steel, Romanian petroleum, et cetera have been chronicled right here in this section of the AHF. So that can't really have been considered any sort of "crime". But it's perhaps pointless to try to make up a meaning for a group of words that don't mean seem to have a meaning.

Also, it's hard to imagine Churchill saying something so incoherent in the first place - even when drinking he seems to have been able to express himself clearly - and hard to imagine where, in what context, and to whom he would have said such a thing.

Finally, I have to say the quote has something of a revisionist (i.e., false) smell to it. Perhaps its source is unimpeachable. But it seems like the sort of "quotation" that would be followed by something like "And Germany's other crime was its attempt to free aryan manhood from the shackles of the Anglo-Jewish Freemasons and their Bolshevik lackeys ..." :roll:

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 09 Jan 2006, 23:57

Germany´s unforgivable crime before WW2 was its attempt to loosen its economy out of the world trade system and to build up an own exchange system from which the world-finance couldn´t profit anymore. ...We butchered the wrong pig.
Winston Churchill "The second World War" Bern 1960

from http://forum.skadi.net/archive/index.php/t-24225.html

regards
MG

Hueylongforpresident

Post by Hueylongforpresident » 11 Jan 2006, 06:14

Matt Gibbs wrote:Germany´s unforgivable crime before WW2 was its attempt to loosen its economy out of the world trade system and to build up an own exchange system from which the world-finance couldn´t profit anymore. ...We butchered the wrong pig.
Winston Churchill "The second World War" Bern 1960

from http://forum.skadi.net/archive/index.php/t-24225.html

regards
MG
The first quotation that comes up at that link is :

"'We will force this war upon Hitler if he likes it or not.' Winston Churchill, 1936 Broadcast"

No specifics provided, surprise surprise.

But it does sound just like something the BBC would've broadcast in 1936, doesn't it? 8O

And they get more unbelievable from there. Sooooo .......

I'm assuming from the address that you're a native English speaker ... do you recognize the words "to loosen its economy out of the world trade system and to build up an own exchange system from which the world-finance couldn't profit anymore" as expressing anything meaningful in English? Because I can't. It reads like an inept translation from some other language.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Jan 2006, 14:58

It indeed seems that the first quote I posted was a bad translation of the quote. The real quote seems to have been this:

"Germany's unforgivable crime before the second world war," Churchill said," was her attempt to extricate her economic power from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit." (Churchill to Lord Robert Boothby, quoted in the Foreword, 2nd Ed. Sydney Rogerson, Propaganda in the Next War
2001, orig. 1938.

http://www.savethemales.ca/001049.html

Still. One mostly finds this quote on various weird forums and messageboards and not on historical sites, which I find suspicious. The first quote was sent to me by a Swedish friend who claimed it was from a Swedish message board.

Best regards/ Daniel

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Jan 2006, 19:01

Seems a little dodgy to me also, especially that english translation, I just googled it to come up with that site. I woudl contact the Churchill Centre who should be able to come up with the answer. [Yes I could have done that but I'm pretty busy myself at the mo !] Good luck
MG

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Jan 2006, 20:44

Good advice. I have sent them an email. It will be itneresting to see what thay have to say, I share your scepticism.

Best regards/ Daniel

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Jan 2006, 20:57

Mr. Richard Langworth of the Churchill Centre has now replied. According to him there were no hits for "Germany's unforgivable crime" or "create her own
exchange mechanism" in their 13 million word digital file of Churchill's written and spoken words. He also told me that the "wrong pig" quote also seems like a misquote.

Best regards/ Daniel

Matt Gibbs

Post by Matt Gibbs » 11 Jan 2006, 21:58

Great to know!
Thanks for that, highly useful.
Kind regards
Matt Gibbs

Condor

Post by Condor » 15 Jan 2006, 22:02

Intelligent quote enigmad.
Nice one!

Hop

Post by Hop » 16 Jan 2006, 11:45

It indeed seems that the first quote I posted was a bad translation of the quote. The real quote seems to have been this:

"Germany's unforgivable crime before the second world war," Churchill said," was her attempt to extricate her economic power from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit." (Churchill to Lord Robert Boothby, quoted in the Foreword, 2nd Ed. Sydney Rogerson, Propaganda in the Next War
2001, orig. 1938.
What purports to be the forward to Propaganda in the Next War is at:

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/PROPA ... EWORD.html

The next paragraph after the Churchill quote goes on:
In the wake of the demolition of the World Trade Centre by terrorists – and no one can deny that it was a terrorist act – it is important for us to bear in mind that the events may not have been carried out by Osama Bin Ladin or the Taliban, but by forces much closer to home. The incredible evidence this book contains and the picture it paints of the thinking and machinations of Britain towards her allies prior to World War 1, show how radically and speedily they changed to suit – what Lord Palmerston regarded as our permanent interests in the run up to World War 2. Of particular importance, to all segments of society, regardless of their country, race or religion, is the evidence it contains about Palestine, and how propaganda played a significant part in the defeat of Germany in World Wars I and II, and the role it continues to play in all conflicts where the end justifies the means.
It's attributed to David M Pidcock, The Institute For Rational Economics. Pidcock is leader of the Islamic Party of Britain. He can probably be reached via the IPB website: http://www.islamicparty.com/ if anyone's interested if he can actually provide a source for the quote.

Hueylongforpresident

Post by Hueylongforpresident » 17 Jan 2006, 04:25

[quote="Hop"][quote][...]
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/PROPA ... EWORD.html

The next paragraph after the Churchill quote goes on:

[quote][...]what Lord Palmerston regarded as our permanent interests in the run up to World War 2. [...][/quote]

Lord Palmerston (1784-1865)????????????????????????????

Return to “Economy”