Help Identifying Uniforms

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
TheFonz

Help Identifying Uniforms

Post by TheFonz » 22 May 2018 00:38

I am helping a family friend with some of her family history. She has these photographs and was wondering what uniforms they were. Most of her family came from Serbia after World War II. She heard rumors in the family that her grandfather may have had something to do with the SS.

This one I suspect are members of Tito's partisans.

These may be of the Serbian Volunteer Corps (SS)

Hopefully someone here with better knowledge can help us. There are a lot of unknowns on this side of her family because people died in the war, and those who survived didn't talk about it, and now they are gone. She is trying to piece things together from what was brought with the family when they left Europe for Australia in the late 1940's.

von thoma

Re: Help Identifying Uniforms

Post by von thoma » 22 May 2018 22:08

Titovka (cap) was characteristic of the Yugoslav Partisans during World War II, and later used by the Yugoslav People's Army.
Inspired by hats seen in the Red Army.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Number16BusShelter

Post by Number16BusShelter » 10 Jun 2018 07:10

My guess would be partisan, did a little looking and I found this picture of yugoslavian communist partisans

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 10 Jun 2018 16:13

The caps dont look much different than the Royal Yugo army caps of pre war it looks to me like they simply had the top sewn much as WW1 style caps were done

Much like the early M34 german field cap to modify it to look like the M38 and how US doughboys did similar in 1918
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”