Luftwaffe Flag authetification

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
NeroWoof

Luftwaffe Flag authetification

Post by NeroWoof » 26 Feb 2023, 02:46

WWII4.JPG
This appears to be an authentic WWII Fighter Squadron Richtohen Battalion flag. I was hoping someone here with more knowledge of the subject could verify. I haven't been able to find one like it on the Internet.

I wasn't sure I was allowed to show what's under the post it note, but I'm sure you know.
Attachments
wwii6.JPG
wwii5.JPG

von thoma

Re: Luftwaffe Flag authetification

Post by von thoma » 26 Feb 2023, 06:03

Hello NeroWoof :

Welcome to AHF.

Unfortunately, this flag has no relation to the Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen', whose heraldry was a letter 'R' inside of a shield.
Regarding the markings, someone took a lot of work to confuse about its authenticity.

Luftwaffe Jagdgeschwaders were represented by a flag like the one shown below ( Flag for Air force Flying Units, Technical, and
Aerial Warfare Schools ). The other side had a black Iron Cross in the center, surrounded by a garland of oak leaves.
Attachments
Luftwaffe Flag.jpg
Luftwaffe Flag.jpg (68.55 KiB) Viewed 3319 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

NeroWoof

Post by NeroWoof » 26 Feb 2023, 15:11

Any idea what this is? It's high quality materials, not something someone would make in their basement. And I've seen the R.Badermann/Wien mark on other WWII era flags. It came from the estate of a WWII vet, but sadly, he wasn't there to tell where it came from. Is there any chance an individual squadron would have their own flag? I'm just curious since I can't find another one like it. Fantasy pieces are usually made in large quantities and I'd expect to see a few of them on the Internet.

Thanks for any help.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 27 Feb 2023, 00:36

And I've seen the R.Badermann/Wien mark on other WWII era flags.
If you are referring to this flag, it's a modern fake.

https://kraftauctions.hibid.com/lot/252 ... mand-flag/
img.jpg
img.jpg (28.44 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
Another fake in a different colour, and the same measurements 60x90.
lw1.jpg
lw1.jpg (91.21 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

NeroWoof

Post by NeroWoof » 27 Feb 2023, 01:02

So, it appears to be a fantasy piece. Generally, fantasy pieces are made in quantity and sold in gift shops, on the Internet, or flea markets. Usually, there are multiple examples. For a single piece to show up in a central Pennsylvania auction threw me off. This seems like an expensive one-off. Fortunately, I didn't pay much for it. It was in a box lot, I didn't even know it was there when I bought it. Any idea where, when, or by whom it was made?

Thanks again.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 27 Feb 2023, 05:25

This ais a Delta nternational fantasy pice of crap flag

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 27 Feb 2023, 05:26

Delta International 60X90

NeroWoof

Post by NeroWoof » 27 Feb 2023, 13:51

OK, it's starting to make more sense. Someone could have bought a solid yellow code flag and printed their own design. The stamps on the edge still suggest to me that they probably made more than one. You'd think they'd show up somewhere.

Now, I'm wondering if you were going to that much trouble, why make a fantasy piece instead of copying an actual WWII flag?

Thanks for the help.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 24 May 2023, 06:11

NeroWoof wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:51
OK, it's starting to make more sense. Someone could have bought a solid yellow code flag and printed their own design. The stamps on the edge still suggest to me that they probably made more than one. You'd think they'd show up somewhere.

Now, I'm wondering if you were going to that much trouble, why make a fantasy piece instead of copying an actual WWII flag?

Thanks for the help.
they go to so much trouble because in this world knuckleheads who are stupid ass cluekless will buy them as genuine

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”