Luftwaffe Dagger w/ Special Blade

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
MrPeanut05

Luftwaffe Dagger w/ Special Blade

Post by MrPeanut05 » 23 Aug 2009 17:28

Another dagger from the same auction as the bogus dagger in the previous post, any ideas? Appears to have gilt writing on the blade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrPeanut05

Re: Luftwaffe Dagger w/ Special Blade

Post by MrPeanut05 » 23 Aug 2009 17:29

Another shot of blade
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 24 Aug 2009 00:58

MrPeanut05,
Artificial Damascas Blade, hard to be sure but would be VERY SKEPTICAL.....not great definition on the Luftwaffe eagle on the blade, other dedication non-typical.....on an average quality Luftwaffe 2nd Model dagger....

I'd do alot more research on the unit (to see if that rings true) and you'd need to look under high magnification at the etching, trademark, etc. before even attempting a guess on originality.....I personally don't like what I see.....but I've never been a big dagger fanatic.

John G.

Reibert-Austria

Post by Reibert-Austria » 25 Aug 2009 14:30

John G. wrote:... I personally don't like what I see.....but I've never been a big dagger fanatic.

John G.

Hi John !

I also don´t like what I see, but, I´ve never been a big dagger fanatic also ! ;)

At first:
I don´t like this Eickhorn-Logo, (I´m missing the "C.E." under the squirrel).

Then:
The "Luft-Zwo" was introduced in 1937, am I right ?

At this time Eickhorn used no further the Logo, shown here in this thread ?

But: As I said, I´m also not a big dagger fanatic ...

Cheer´s,

R.
Last edited by Reibert-Austria on 25 Aug 2009 14:50, edited 3 times in total.

Reibert-Austria

Post by Reibert-Austria » 25 Aug 2009 14:44

here´re pic´s of a period Carl Eickhorn "Double-Oval"-Logo on the blade of an SS M33, I, (unfortunatelly), sold year´s ago for almost nothing ... :cry:

MrPeanut05

Post by MrPeanut05 » 27 Aug 2009 01:47

Just got back from the auction that this dagger was offered at. The opening LEFT BID was 3400. It also had the hanger, which was not included in the picture.

Laurence Strong

Post by Laurence Strong » 27 Aug 2009 02:45

I agree with Reibert-Austria, the Eickhorn logo shown was superseded in 1935 by a squirrel without the outside ring. So unless it's a 1st pattern blade with a 2nd pattern hilt etc.....Not only that but the logo is upside down to any that I have seen.

http://germandressdaggers.com/Maker%20marks.htm

francis wuillot

Post by francis wuillot » 01 Sep 2009 16:48

I can add that this kind of gothic writing is not at all a german one, but an english gothic (especially the "J" and the "E")
The Carl Eickhorn is also suspicious, and the swastika on the pommel ought to be golden ; indeed, if the letters of the dedicace kept their gold colour, why did the gold colour of the pommel fade ?
I think it was a genuine dagger, but faked in the 60's by the well known Müller, in Munchen...

MrPeanut05

Post by MrPeanut05 » 03 Sep 2009 05:04

Thanks for all your input guys! Who is this faker from the 60's? I had no interest in bidding on the dagger because I found out from this forum that the leaders dagger was a clear fake. I cant believe someone spent 3400 on it!

francis wuillot

Post by francis wuillot » 06 Sep 2009 01:41

In fact, the faker of the 60's signed Müller - München in golden letters on the blades , and he made beautiful false damascus blades, starting from genuine daggers, and trying to increase their value with dedicated mottos, aso... He even made a dozen of special SS daggers with the SS motto "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" in golden raised letters, and, on the other side of the blade, a portrait of Adolf Hitler (profile) with his signature, also golden raised !
Those are, actually, perfect daggers... but perfect forgeries...
He must be dead now, because he was supposed to be an employee, during the pre-war, in a manufactory of daggers, and was already aged in the 60's...
He may be compared to the famous Maxwell, who created daggers, also in the 60's, which never existed during the IIId Reich ! They were made "à la manière de", looking of what-could-have-been "new" or "special models", or "latest issues ", for example the well-known SS dagger model 1938 : a pure invention of his fertile mind...

Cabin8730

Post by Cabin8730 » 08 Feb 2024 07:31

Okay so I have a 2nd model luft dagger made by Clemen & Jung. It doesn’t have a special blade persay. However it is double maker marked and appears to have a drop forge mark as well on it. I havnt found another example like it. Any thoughts or insight from anyone?

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”