SA dagger with serial numbers

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
TenorioM

SA dagger with serial numbers

Post by TenorioM » 23 Jun 2005 20:13

hi all

I am acquiring this great SA dagger with engraved numbers, and have so far been able to find out the following: This belonger to a Nordmark Gruppe, Sturm 23, Standarte 85, belonging to brigade 15 based in Heide. Unfortunately thats all, and I dont know what the final numner means: 29561. I posted the pics in the NSDAP forum today, somehow i am unable to upload again here

Our SA experts in the forum tell me SA members did not have serial numbers, so, could this be his NSDAP number?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated

Gustavo in Madrid
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich Yankowski

Post by Rich Yankowski » 24 Jun 2005 23:51

Not positive what the numbers mean,but they appear to be pretty rare on SA's.I'll keep searching and post what-ever I find.But in my opinion,it's a sweet looking SA!Who's the maker?

TenorioM

SA dagger numbers

Post by TenorioM » 25 Jun 2005 00:29

Thanks Rich

The make is fairly rare for SA daggers, its Carl Schmidt Sohn (the little church)

Gustavo

TenorioM

Carl Schmidt

Post by TenorioM » 26 Jun 2005 21:55

How disappointing... Carl Schmidt Sohn A.G. of Solingen still makes metal ware including knives, advertises proudly their 175 years of quality.... and now manufactures in China!! :-((( BTW, they still use the little church logo.

randy821

Re: SA dagger with serial numbers

Post by randy821 » 01 Apr 2024 21:05

Just happened to notice this while doing research on another SA dagger that I just purchased for my own collection. Been collecting Daggers for more than 17 years, and despite what some others say. serial numbers on SA daggers are exceedingly RARE. I just purchased a Gustav Voss SA dagger in what I would grade NM condition with the following engraved on the hilt 11R/187 Nm 22490. So this is SA Gruppe Nordmark for certain. I have done research on these numbers for years (about 5 1/2). While I am not 100% sure of the what the numbers indicate, I AM certain that finding these with matching numbers is nearly impossible. I have spoken to people who worked at the manufacturing plants, craftsman, die makers and more and all seem to indicate that during and after the war most of the records were destroyed or lost. One gentleman indicated to me that the number on the right (22490) would have been the serial number assigned to an SS service school member who transferred from the SA and was in training to be SS. Further that the 11R/187 would have indicat 11th SS volunteer Panzergrebadier Division/ Class 187. Can't confirm it, but have had several old-timers tell me the same thing. With most of the records gone we may never know but testimony from people like the ones mentioned above will in time piece together this puzzle. But for now, I can only tell you one thing for certain, and that is that numbered SA daggers are VERY RARE indeed.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”