Flea Markets and Garage Sales-TreasureTroves for collectors?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Brig

Flea Markets and Garage Sales-TreasureTroves for collectors?

Post by Brig » 01 Nov 2002, 04:05

ANybody else ever have any luck at these types of places in collecting relics? I've thus far found at flea markets a hand-embroidered aluminum officer Heer breast eagle, an HJ armband, some Nazi photographs, an Eastern Front Medal, some ribbon bars/buttoneres, a Police bread bag strap, a civilian gasmask, and the cloth-type Fallschirmjager badge for EM/NCOs. At antique stores, an original picture of Hitler with photo slide, a Party Membership Badge, SIlver Panzer and Infantry Assault Badges, and numerous photos of Heer troops. Anybody here have any good finds at such places?

David C. Clarke

Hey Brig

Post by David C. Clarke » 01 Nov 2002, 04:23

Hey Brig, I think you've proved that luck is the best companion a collector could ever have. As a book collector, I can sincerely say that the internet has eliminated the days of finding hidden treasures in ye olde hole in the wall book store. So enjoy your discoveries and pray that Cable TV never does a special on Wehrmacht and SS memorabilia!!!! Cheers, David :D

Brig

Post by Brig » 01 Nov 2002, 04:29

I don't know, I've found a few WWII-topic books printed during the war years at used book stores in my time. None in German, though. One that was translated from

Dan

Post by Dan » 01 Nov 2002, 05:10

David, what you say has much truth, but don't forget that knowledge is power!!! My wife, just the other day, found a box of books at a garage sale that she bought for 10 dollars and sold for 110 or so.

Don't make the same mistake that so many other well educated people make! Their not all like you!!

Ogorek

Post by Ogorek » 01 Nov 2002, 19:21

Don't get around much anymore, but had some good luck during the early 80s - during the Sterling Silver rush found a VN era jump wing with a Vietnamese made combat jump star, and a Glider Pilot wing both of which I bought for weight - expensive then, but close to impossible now - since so much had been melted down during the period.

Also during the same trip I got a single decal Waffen SS helmet, with two bullet holes in it (MY kind of SS helmet) that I talked down to 17.50 from $20 - dem daze iz over!

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”