Polish Army

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 29 Dec 2006, 11:48

ukzombie wrote:Stupid Question why is there a 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division badge (the top one) and a 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division insignia?
Very simply, the 'badge' was earned. Once could serve in a military unit, and as such this was identified by uniform 'insignia'. But exemplary service within that particular military division, regiment, battalion, etc. was signified by the awarding of a badge.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Tony

ukzombie

Post by ukzombie » 29 Dec 2006, 12:44

PolAntek wrote:...couldn't squeeze these into my earlier post...
Tony

The photo of your dad in England in 1947 just before demobilization he is wearing what appears to be a crisp new uniform without any visible insignia and is standing next a friend from the same division who has a fully badged BD blouse.

In laymens terms a BD blouse is otherwise known as the jacket?

As with the photo of my grandfather he looks like he is wearing his ‘best’ or ‘walking out’ uniform is this right?

What are the coloured small ribbens just above his left breast pocket, I have noticed your dads friend also has them, what would they represent?

Could I ask where in England did your father live? My grandfather went to Derby
Attachments
wladyslaw_zawadzki_england_feb_2_1947_200.jpg
wladyslaw_zawadzki_england_feb_2_1947_200.jpg (126.87 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
1945.jpg
1945.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 2952 times

PolAntek

Post by PolAntek » 30 Dec 2006, 00:01

ukzombie wrote: In laymens terms a BD blouse is otherwise known as the jacket?
Yes. Tunic, jacket, blouse – all synonymous. The term "Battledress Blouse" is probably the most technically correct as this how they are described on most of the maker's labels contained inside. See pic below.
ukzombie wrote: As with the photo of my grandfather he looks like he is wearing his ‘best’ or ‘walking out’ uniform is this right?
Yes. He would, of course, want to look his best for a portrait.
ukzombie wrote: What are the coloured small ribbens just above his left breast pocket, ...what would they represent?
These are the decorations awarded for wartime service / campaign participation. Your grandfather displays British issue decorations: the 1939-1945 War Medal, and either the France and Germany Star or the Italy Star, although based on the description of your grandfather's wartime service he did not seem to qualify for either.
ukzombie wrote: Could I ask where in England did your father live? My grandfather went to Derby
His stay in England was very brief. Immediately after discharge in 1947 he moved to Holland where he found the Dutch much more welcoming and appreciative of the Poles for their substantial contribution to the Allied victory than the British, who looked down on the Poles at this time for several reasons.

Regards,
Tony
Attachments
BD maker label.jpg
BD maker label.jpg (154.53 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

ukzombie

Post by ukzombie » 02 Jan 2007, 15:48

PolAntek wrote:Hello Roly,

Sorry if I was unclear. To clarify:
ukzombie wrote: he wears his cap badge and near to it he wears a ‘beret Insignia’ which I presume is “65PP PSZnZ 2 Korpus.jpg” or am I mistaken.
You are correct. This is the crest of the City of Gdansk. The insignia consists of a red felt backing with yellow metal cross and crown components.
Hello Tony, Happy New Year, thank you for your information, which you have given to me in the Forum.

Could you tell me why my grand father would have an insignia 'crest of the City of Gdansk' on his beret, as he originally came from Warsaw?
Attachments
crest of the City of Gdansk.jpg
crest of the City of Gdansk.jpg (42.78 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

FREDZU

Cap Insignia

Post by FREDZU » 05 Jan 2012, 04:13

Can someone tell me what the cap insignia is....My dad was in the 2nd Polish Corps and I only have 1 picture of him but he has the same insignia on his uniform and Im trying to narrow what unit he was in..

Marcus

Re: Cap Insignia

Post by Marcus » 17 Nov 2012, 17:02

FREDZU wrote:Can someone tell me what the cap insignia is....My dad was in the 2nd Polish Corps and I only have 1 picture of him but he has the same insignia on his uniform and Im trying to narrow what unit he was in..
Do you mean the normal Polish cap eagle?

Some info on cap insignia can be found at http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option= ... esult=2855

/Marcus

MStone3060

Re: Polish Army

Post by MStone3060 » 10 Aug 2020, 16:04

Hello, I know it's been a very long time since anyone has posted on this thread, but I just thought I would try on the off chance to see if anyone might be able to help.

My partner and I have been trying to trace some information about his Grandfather who was born in Poland and came over to the UK where he married and settled until his death. His Grandfather gave very little information about his life in Poland to his children and grandchildren, and the only pieces of information which were left to his son was a naturalisation certificate (for when he became a UK National) and an ID card we have just had translated which said he was a shooter in the 65th Pomeranian Infantry Battalion.

His name was Wladyslaw Jakubik and we believe his birth date was 25/08/1927 (the DOB on his naturalisation certificate) and we think he was born in a village called Ruchna, Poland. His parents were named Pawel and Anna Jakubik. We know he had a brother living in Poland as they used to write to each other early on, but lost contact when Wladyslaw could no longer speak or write Polish.

We would really like to try and find out if there may be any other family in Poland still. I know it's a long shot but if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction of how we may find some information, maybe about the 65th Pomeranian Infantry Battalion, we would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Maddie

wm

Re: Polish Army

Post by wm » 10 Aug 2020, 19:21

There are still a few Jakubiks in Ruchna. I think you need to contact its municipal council or the local priest - his name is Jakubik too.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”