Mexico 1930/40's Uniforms

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Dr Rare

Mexico 1930/40's Uniforms

Post by Dr Rare » 28 Dec 2008 05:19

Hello all ,

Hope i have posted in correct section apologies if not.

I wondered if any one could provide pics or INFO on Mexican Uniforms in the 1930/40's era?

I know the Infantry used the French Style Adrian helmets and have seen some pics in the past ,but i would like to know if Mexican cavalry also used the Adrian Helmet?
In fact any pics or INFO on Mexican uniforms of the era would be appreciated.I know in the late WW2 Mexico was Equipped by the USA but i am most interested in the uniforms before this.

Doc

pikeshot1600

Re: Mexico 1930/40's Uniforms

Post by pikeshot1600 » 30 Dec 2008 01:31

I haven't been able to find much (and almost nothing on line), but the Uniformkunde of Knoetel, Knoetel and Sieg indicates that Mexican uniform after the revolution was heavily influenced by US military style. The basic color was "grey-brown" with stand-and-fall collar as opposed to the US style of a necktie. I could not find anything on Mexican army troops wearing the campaign hat, but I could not find anything about them not wearing it either.

Andrew Mollo's The Armed Forces of World War Two indicates that the Mexican pilots who flew in the Philippines wore their olive green headgear off duty, so perhaps the Mexican tropical uniform was of a green somewhat like the British in the Burma theater.

That is about it. Perhaps the Mexican army has an historical department. It is worth a try.

Dr Rare

Post by Dr Rare » 30 Dec 2008 09:30

Hello pikeshot1600,

Thanks very much for your replie.

Good to know i am not the only one who couldn't find much info ,except for on the Mexican Squadron in Philippines.
Andrew Mollo's The Armed Forces of World War Two is a great book and i have many of his earlier Blanford Press books which are also very good.

If i was to speculate i would imagine prior to the USA Re-equipment ,that the Mexican Uniform had not changed much since WW1 except for the addition of French Adrian Style helmets with Mexican helmet decal.

But if anyone does have pics or info to prove me right or wrong it would be great .

Dr

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 30 Dec 2008 13:25

Hi Dr Rare,

I wouldn't put too much faith in Mollo's book, attractive though its illustrations are. In about 1980 a friend sent him over thirty mistakes in his text on Romania alone, but although it has been reprinted several times, no corrections have ever been made to the text. It is the curse of the publshing world that once mistakes are in print they might as well be set in stone.

Mexico's army was very run down in early WWII. After nearly thirty years of civil war and military uprisings (the last being in 1938) the central government had apparently decided to keep what little artillery there was closely under its control around Mexico City and left the rest of the country garrisoned by isolated infantry battalions and cavalry regiments that didn't even have a regimental structure, let alone a divisional one. The handful of tankettes, AA guns, etc., acquired in the 1930s also remained in Mexico City. It was basically little more than an outdated gendarmery for internal security and was quite unfit to wage modern war.

One weapon that was distinctive was the locally-produced Mendoza LMG.

Cheers,

Sid.

Dr Rare

Post by Dr Rare » 03 Jan 2009 00:45

Thank you very much for the Mexico Info Sid.

I am now intrigued by the 1938 Uprising and shall try to find out more. :)

Personally i prefer Andrew Mollos earlier Blandford Press books.His WW1 uniforms book is very good except its only about the European theater of the war.
It is the curse of the publshing world that once mistakes are in print they might as well be set in stone.
I agree and the internet is even worse for this Chinese whispers can become facts over night.

If anyone does have any info or pics whether the Mexican Cavalry Wore Adrian Helmets or not it would still be appreciated.

Dr

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 03 Jan 2009 11:42

Hi Dr Rare,

The revolt was led by General Saturnino Cedillo, a traditionalist Roman Catholic out of step with the left-leaning inclinations of President Cardenas. Cedillo was sympathetic to Franco's politics in Spain, but it is likely his finance came from US and British oil companies opposed to Cardenas's recent nationalisation of Mexico's oil industry. Cedillo's revolt was a bit of a damp squib and never seriously threatened the regime. He was killed by a Mexican Government cavalry column in January 1939.

Cheers,

Sid.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 15 Jan 2009 11:55

Hi Dr. Rare,

I have looked through my copy of "El Ejercito Mexicano".

I could find nothing to confirm or deny that the cavalry wore Adrian helmets in WWII.

However, I did find what is presumably an interwar photo of a horse artilleryman wearing an Adrian helmet.

The book also shows that Mexico must have received some surplus WWI German helmets, presumably in the 1920s.

Cheers,

Sid.

Xavier
Financial supporter

Post by Xavier » 15 Jan 2009 17:33

the adrian helmet was still in use by both infantry and cavalry and some police shock troops as late as 1968, if you look at pictures of the '68 events (communist students revolts) you can clearly see them
Xavier
Der autodidakt

Dr Rare

Post by Dr Rare » 16 Jan 2009 09:46

Thank you both very much for your replies.

If the Horse Artillery were wearing them then thats good enough for me as conformation that Cavalry would wear them also.(For War gaming Purposes)

I also remember reading in the past that Mexico received and used Stahlhelms ,possibly bought from Poland or Czechslovakia IIRC?,I have never seen a pic of one in use though.

Doc

Billy

Post by Billy » 29 Jan 2009 07:29

The closest I have to information on the Mexican Army of this time period is an Osprey book about the Mexican Revolution and though it only goes up to 1920 I would suspect that at least some uniforms and gear would still be the same in the 1930s and '40s, especially (I'm only guessing) their fatigues which were cotton, 2-piece, the tunic being with fall collar, exposed buttons, four pockets and the trousers straight-leg and unremarkable. It was originally white in colour but was dyed around the WWI era a light brown/khaki colour (buttons appearing a little darker brown than the tunic itself) and it's possible that the Mexican Army of the 1930s and 1940s even might have still been issued them. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. I wish I had more information about this army, as most of what is out there centres on their fighter squadron sent to the Philippines but it's hard to find information about their Army in Mexico itself.

Dr Rare

Post by Dr Rare » 02 Feb 2009 12:06

Billy wrote:The closest I have to information on the Mexican Army of this time period is an Osprey book about the Mexican Revolution and though it only goes up to 1920 I would suspect that at least some uniforms and gear would still be the same in the 1930s and '40s, especially (I'm only guessing) their fatigues which were cotton, 2-piece, the tunic being with fall collar, exposed buttons, four pockets and the trousers straight-leg and unremarkable. It was originally white in colour but was dyed around the WWI era a light brown/khaki colour (buttons appearing a little darker brown than the tunic itself) and it's possible that the Mexican Army of the 1930s and 1940s even might have still been issued them. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Thanks for the info i think you are probably correct on your educated guess.
Billy wrote: I wish I had more information about this army, as most of what is out there centres on their fighter squadron sent to the Philippines but it's hard to find information about their Army in Mexico itself.
Yes this is my experience also there is a general lack of info on most Latin American countries of the period(probably same for most neutrals) and now anyone searching for info on this topic online will find this thread pop up :)

This Site has info on their Vehicles(click on Mexico flag)
http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/
and i just noticed if you click on the pics in the Mexico section some of them included the troops with helmets on,might be of interest to you?

Dr

ProvostGuard

Post by ProvostGuard » 07 Feb 2009 09:09

I came across this photograph via Corbis and thought you might find it interesting. The caption reads: "Mexican artillery men in the field during WWII as their country expects a declaration of war on the Axis."

God bless.
Jeff Chu
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The enemy is in front of us, behind us, to the left of us, and to the right of us. They won't escape this time!" -Colonel Chesty Puller, USMC

Cyber Nations, a nation simulation game: http://www.cybernations.net/
I'm sure you'll love it!

Dr Rare

Post by Dr Rare » 07 Feb 2009 13:15

ProvostGuard wrote:I came across this photograph via Corbis and thought you might find it interesting. The caption reads: "Mexican artillery men in the field during WWII as their country expects a declaration of war on the Axis."

God bless.
Jeff Chu
Thank you very much for posting this.its a Great pic first detailed one i have seen.

Dr

Loïc

Re: Mexico's Squadron 201

Post by Loïc » 08 Feb 2009 20:37

in this thread, pictures of Mexican Airmen and planes of the Escuadron 201, the only Latin American Military unit with the Brazilian Expeditionnary Division in Italy who fought with the Allied Forces against the Axis
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... mforum=maf

V1Oliver

Post by V1Oliver » 11 Jun 2010 12:01

Hi, sorry for reviving such an old threat, but this really caught my attention.
I'm half Mexican living in Belgium and I'd like to collect Mexican militaria. But because I think it will be too difficult, I'm considering just collecting Latin-American helmets. I already have 2 including a Mexican cavalry helmet. :)

Maybe there is someone who can contribute more information on Mexican uniforms?

I've added a picture of a relative of mine who was a mechanic in el escuadron 201, he has also been in the Philippines. He's the second one from the right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”