SS typewriters - how common were they?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
BeefJerky

SS typewriters - how common were they?

Post by BeefJerky » 13 Mar 2009 17:02

I've seen quite a few typewriters from the Third Reich that have the SS symbol over the 3 key but don't have much information about them. Does anyone know how common they were? Was it that most typewriters in Germany at that time would have had the symbol on it or was it only actual SS units or military/police involved types who would have them?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: SS typewriters - how common were they?

Post by John G. » 14 Mar 2009 03:00

Beefjerky,
I don't think anyone would have a real answere to this.....but I would imagine most typewriters that were intended for Political office use (NSDAP, SA, SS, HJ, Government officials, etc.) would have the "SS" key, as would most Military used typewriters.....but certianly "not all", and probably not models intended for strictly "civilian" use.....

I have seen official SS documents that didn't have the "Rune key" and used normal "S" to type the SS....so not everyone upgraded their typewriters.....

I have a "Wehrmacht Eigentum" Olympic portable typewriter that doesn't have the rune key (wish it did....but for $5.00 I can't complain!)
Like I said.....no real answere to this.......the SS key certianly makes them alot more expensive when in the hands of a dealer....
John G.

Arminiusder Cherusker1

Post by Arminiusder Cherusker1 » 15 Mar 2009 10:08

As much as I remember normal typewriters didn't have the SS-key. Even in the office of the Hitlerjugend in my
hometown we didn't use typewriters with that key on, so I believe, that only the SS and the Waffen-SS had such
key on their typewriters.
Rudi

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 16 Mar 2009 05:51

They come up for sale once in a while on various sites, and even manions has one once so often.
Have seen them from $150.00 up to $400.00

cpittman

Post by cpittman » 16 Mar 2009 20:40

Many typewriters produced after 1933 in Germany for official use had the SS key and not just those intended for use by the SS. They are fairly common. Of course, as John indicated, many official clerks still used pre-1933 typewriters until they wore out so not all typewriters in official use would have had this key.

sobel
Financial supporter

Post by sobel » 18 Mar 2009 11:10

There's someone on another forum selling 6 at the moment!!, all with the SS key

regards

Sobel

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 25 Mar 2009 23:45

actually in my old school library ( a jesuit boarding school in austria ) we had one. So it seems to me it has not been limited for authority use.

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 21 Apr 2009 16:56

my uncle gived his SS typewriter a few years ago away,
it's a shame 8O :cry:
Looking for original EM Prinz Eugen collar tabs and erkennungsmarke or Maria Theresia

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 21 Apr 2009 18:27

Hi Guys,

I also own one. It was acquired by my grandfather after the war as war booty and used in the office of the family printing business. Unfortunately they thought it wise to scratch out the SS runes on the key, but on the hammer head they are intact and still fully legible when used. The main problem these days is finding a ribbon.

Cheers,

Sid.

edelweiss

Post by edelweiss » 21 Apr 2009 19:49

Sid Guttridge wrote:Hi Guys,

I also own one. It was acquired by my grandfather after the war as war booty and used in the office of the family printing business. Unfortunately they thought it wise to scratch out the SS runes on the key, but on the hammer head they are intact and still fully legible when used. The main problem these days is finding a ribbon.

Cheers,

Sid.

mayebe in an art store or a store with office stuff
Looking for original EM Prinz Eugen collar tabs and erkennungsmarke or Maria Theresia

Sarge

Post by Sarge » 03 Jun 2009 08:04

The SS keyed typewriters are probably not rare, but are uncommon as hell! Of course you don't find very many prewar/war time German typewriters of any kind.

What forum has the 6 SS typewriters for sale??? Maby he has one or 2 that I don't have. I know of 4 or 5 I need.

I have 7 SS keyed typewriters - 1 desk model (a Torpedo 6) and 6 portables including 2 military field protables, one in the wood field case.
Seems kinda wierd, but the SS rune key was not in the same place on all of these. I have them on the 3, 5, = u. RM keys.
Sarge

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 03 Jun 2009 10:01

Hi Sarge,

Do you reckon yours are SS typewriters or were SS-rhuned typewriters common or even universal in government service?

Cheers,

Sid.

Sarge

Post by Sarge » 04 Jun 2009 07:05

One I picked up at the flea Market in Bonn - portable near new in the case -had the factory manual which was stamped with some party organization(Inked out) and date Sep 1939. This one was a special order because the keyboard does not match the diagram in the manual. The 2 military portables speak for themselves. No way of knowing where the other 3 portables or the desk model were used.
I would think that only those civilian companies that regularily did business with some part of the SS would have had the rune key. As other have said correspondence and doccuments can be found that the SS was typed as such rather than the rune key.
Sarge

Wim

Post by Wim » 04 Jun 2009 16:40

Well i have a 1935 Continental Silenta (nr 707053). A Desk model the ss rune is on the = key.

Unfortunatly i miss some parts to make it work.

I also have an Olympia portable ss typewriter. This works better.

Now and then you can find ribbons for the typewriter even on e-bay.

If you have the serial number here at this site you can date your machine.

If you click on 'Hersteller Namen' than you get the list of the firms who produces the machines.

http://www.tw-db.com/indexde.htm

Wim

Post by Wim » 04 Jun 2009 16:48

here a foto

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”