1946 Czechoslovakian Victory Cover & Postcard

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
JLEES

1946 Czechoslovakian Victory Cover & Postcard

Post by JLEES » 22 Feb 2003, 19:22

Hello,
I just received a 1946 Czechoslovakian Victory Cover in the mail. The item has a set of stamps on it that appear to be cancelled in the town of Lidice. It had a cancellation of June 10, 1946. What is the significance of this date? Wasn’t that the town destroyed after SS General Heinrich was assassinated? If yes, did the Czechoslovakian postal service establish a temporary office on the site for the cancellation? Furthermore, can anyone translate the item into English and explain the images on the card? It looks like an interesting item celebrating the victory in WWII, but I have some questions about it.
Thanks,
James
Attachments
Forum1.jpg
Forum1.jpg (186.84 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 16 Aug 2003, 13:42

The stamps are the complete serie called "Emission of Moskow" print in Moskow in the 1945/46, perfored 12 1/4.
The first day of use was for the Cesky the Juny 1945 (but only for the 50 h. - 1 K. - 2K.) and for the Slovakia the 1 August 1945 ( but only for the other 3 stamps) and for the Ceskoslovensko the 5 march 1946.
The value is very poor but exist without perforation in 1 of the 4 sides.
The value of these items is good and depend of the position of the side.
The much valuabe are the 2 stamps in "tandem" without perforation in the union side.
The official use of this emission close the 31 December 1948.
The number of stamp print depend of the stamps, in any case is from the 1.880.000 of the 5 h. to the 4.140.000 for the 1 K.

Luca

Post by Luca » 16 Aug 2003, 14:23

Concern the cancel 10 - 6 - 1946 :
During the Ceskoslovensko time several emissions for the commemoration of Lidice was issued. The first is dated 10 - 1947 (for the commemoration of the 5 years of Lidice).
The secon is for the 10 years in the 10 - 6 1952 and the 2 stamps of this emission show in second plain the same cross of Your cancel.
I dont know but is probable that show some remebrance monument in Lidice.Is in any case a know symbol. (I never see this place, maybe is time for a touristic trip. :idea: )
I have see several time Your cancel but i no have here professional source concern cancels, so i cant add any information.
I dont know if the 10 - 6 is the date of the destruction of Lidice (and yes, was in connection with Heydrich assasination) or is the date starting the commemorarion of this.In any case searching Lidice in Google You probable found some 1000 of page, so will very simple descovery this question.
I dont know if the postal service was situated in the town, that was complete destroy and make flat with heavy machines, but i remeber a illustrated special card of the late 45 or of the 46 that ask help for the town of Lidice. I think is more probable that some special association, no necessary located in Lidice, work at the time.
Also the cancel , that is common, is possible that was in use in differents postal offices of the State.
I have + or - all the FDC of this State from the post war to around age 70 or 80, and i no remeber well, but appare in my mind that this cancel was used in connection with the Lidice issues, but im no sure. ( I take the occasion for say that my FDC are for sell, cause i ve the same covers medium 5 or 10 time.Please,if someone have interest, no ask single series but only ages, cause is big search in a very big box).
Into the cancel is write "Lidice budou zit" that mean "Lidice shall live".
Last edited by Luca on 16 Aug 2003, 15:19, edited 2 times in total.

JLEES

Lidice Cover

Post by JLEES » 16 Aug 2003, 14:40

Luca,
Thanks for the excellent comments about this cover. Although I didn't think it was worth much, it is an attractive looking item and the origional owner appears to have taken some time putting it together. If you have a scanner, please place some of the covers you have from this period on the site. I'd love looking at them.
James

Luca

Post by Luca » 16 Aug 2003, 14:41

In the card is write "May 1945" that is the date of the "Liberation" of the Ceskoslovensko.
The pic is clear , the soldier defend (or force? 8) ) the work of industry and agriculture under the double flag of URSS and Ceskoslovensko, and the up pic probable is an admonition that say : "If you no like this new system, remember how much was bad the last system (funny that no say nothing concern the really system before the war :? )"...infact the pic show the town of Lidice, destroy during the Grossedeutsche period and is write "Nezapomeni" that mean "For remeber".
Several similar postcard was issued in the period.
Last edited by Luca on 16 Aug 2003, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

Luca

Re: 1946 Czechoslovakian Victory Cover & Postcard

Post by Luca » 16 Aug 2003, 14:45

JLEES wrote: but I have some questions about it.
Thanks,
James
Sorry for the poor notes and for my famous english, i stay at Your disposition for any question hoping for can add some help.
With friendly
Luca

Luca

Re: Lidice Cover

Post by Luca » 16 Aug 2003, 15:00

JLEES wrote:Luca,
Thanks for the excellent comments about this cover. Although I didn't think it was worth much, it is an attractive looking item and the origional owner appears to have taken some time putting it together. If you have a scanner, please place some of the covers you have from this period on the site. I'd love looking at them.
James
Dear Jlees, thank You very much for the friendly lies (cause my comment no was excellent).
I agree with You concern the comment of the piece. Is only a "Philatelich" item without any Postal history interest.
I have the scan but concern this postwar period i no have much, and in this moment i no remember nothing really "good" that i can show here.
My focus is into the II WW postal history and in special the Kozentrationlager and Ghetto post.
In any case i was much time in Cesky during the lasts 12 years and around for my home i have several box of post war philatelich items.
Inform me if You have some special request and if i have (and if i can find in my verrrrrry organizate home) i will show here with pleasure.
With friendly
Luca

JLEES

Postal History

Post by JLEES » 16 Aug 2003, 17:59

Luca,
Yes, I too collect the material and very much interested in the Holocaust. While I Prague two years ago, I visited the large concentration camp outside of the city, the ambush site where they tried to kill Heinrich and then the church where the Czech paratroopers were eventually surrounded and killed. At the moment money is in very short supply and can not make large purchases now. Have you tried selling things on ebay? If the items are philatelic you shouldn't have problems selling them there.
James

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”