Troup Carrier Command, question

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
just

Troup Carrier Command, question

Post by just » 13 Nov 2011, 05:19

Hello
can you tell me if this unit was in Europe in 1944 ?
is it possible to have a US pilot with this patch on D-Day for example ?
thanks for answers
cordially
Didier

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Troup Carrier Command, question

Post by John G. » 13 Nov 2011, 14:17

Didier,
According to "Smith & Pelz" SHOULDER SLEEVE INSIGNIA OF THE U.S. ARMED FORCES 1941-1945 this patch for the 1st Troop Carrier Command .....quote from the book "Although the 1 Troop Carrier Command did not participate in combat, the men and crews it organized and trained performed their missions against the enemy in a superior manner".....this patch WAS NOT approved by the War Department so it technically is unofficial....

In short....this patch would NOt have been worn in the ETO or "D-Day" (at least not authorized)...
Hope this answeres your question...
John G.

just

Post by just » 13 Nov 2011, 14:27

Hello John
thanks a lot
cordially
Didier

Empiricist

Post by Empiricist » 18 Sep 2021, 19:25

John G. wrote:
13 Nov 2011, 14:17
...quote from the book "Although the I Troop Carrier Command did not participate in combat, the men and crews it organized and trained performed their missions against the enemy in a superior manner"
Numerous I TCC pilots (mainly experienced instructors and test pilots) served in the UK-based IX TCC. Yes, they did not wear the I TCC patches but they wore I TCC DUIs on each shoulder loop of their uniforms. The best exmple may be Lt.Col. Mike Murphy who piloted CG-4A in Normandy with Brig.Gen. Don F. Pratt on board.
Attachments
Mike Murphy.jpg

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”