Deutches Jungvolk Fahrtenmesser

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Deutches Jungvolk Fahrtenmesser

Post by Ken Jasper » 24 Apr 2002 22:44

I keep seeing a DJ knife for sale. This knife is smaller than the standard HJ knife and has no grip insignia or has the HJ diamond mounted on the scabbard. Are these really Third Reich pieces? Why are there no period photos of them in wear? Were these some sort of unofficial knife? Dealers seem to charge a premium for them and I am reluctant to add one to my collection without clear evidence that they are period pieces. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 29 Apr 2002 05:04

I bought one of these DJ knives of a very reputable dealer. They are aparantly Thrird Reich Pieces, however they look and feel cheap, in my opionion.

Colin Davie

Post by Colin Davie » 30 Apr 2002 20:18

Ken, like yourself I like to see a wee bit proof before I shell out good money for something.

The bottom line is that in all the pics. of DJs I've seen there has never once been this type of knife being worn, it is always the conventional HJ knife.

On page 8 of the same achievement book which contained the info concerning the B type HJ badges the DJ who owned the book is entered as having earned his right to wear the HJ knife, this was his reward for passing the pimpfenprobe. I don't believe the DJs would be allowed to wear an unofficial knife, but lets face it even if they were that still makes them JUST a knife and nothing to do with the HJ.

To me it is even worse when these knives are called BDM pieces, personally I find the concept unbelievable.

I know there are people in the hobby 30 years etc who are saying these things and I don't mean to be disrespectful.

1. Show me a pic of a DJ wearing one of these knives.
2. Show me a pic of a BDM member wearing ANY knife.
3. Show me proof in the way of an original 3rd Reich document showing that a BDM member had earned the right to wear a knife.

I for one am not holding my breath, nor am I spending my money.

All the best :P

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 30 Apr 2002 20:43

Mark and Colin,

I appreciate your thoughts. I will continue to pass on these "DJ" knives. Most recently I put my money towards an early HJ knife with the motto to go with the late model one in my collection.

Walter

Post by Walter » 30 Apr 2002 21:24

Ken.
Early HJ with the motto is the BEST choice!
Have sold one few months ago and .... miss it a lot!
Will buy the next one soon. :D

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 30 Apr 2002 22:51

COLIN! WELCOME..... NICE TO SEE YOU HERE :D

Colin Davie

Post by Colin Davie » 01 May 2002 00:11

THANK YOU BRET!... IT IS NICE TO BE HERE.

Good choice going with the early motto blade Ken, the prices are just going up and up at rocket speed on these knives. Great investment.

All the best :P

Keith Loughmiller
Banned

Stag handle HJ

Post by Keith Loughmiller » 01 May 2002 00:46

Hi Guys, I have a HJ knife that came from a vet who brought it back. Looks typical except it has stag grips, with no HJ diamond. I posted pics of it on the German Daggers forum, and everyone said it was good, but nobody seem to know exactly what it was. Anyone here have any ideas? I can post pics if need be. :roll:

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 01 May 2002 04:33

MR.DUKE.I HAVE SEEN AN H/J LIKE THAT BEFORE.BESIDES AT THE GERMAN DAGGER FORUM.THE ONE I LOOKED AT WAS A RZM 7/36 IF I REMEMBER?IT HAD STAG GRIPS NO H/J DIAMOND.MY THOUGHTS AT THE TIME WERE THAT A VET HAD DE-SWAZED IT AND MADE A HUNTING KNIFE.SECOND THAT IT MAY HAVE BEEN A PERIOD PIECE THAT A H/J MEMBER HAD REDONE.MANY OF THE HIGH END BAYOS OF THAT ERA WERE STAG OR WOOD(MADE TO LOOK LIKE STAG)GRIPED.BUT IF IT WERE PERIOD WHY NOT RE-INSTAL THE DIAMOND? MAYBE EXTRA COST?
DO THE GRIPS HAVE A YELLOWISH TINT.I HAVE SEEN SOME BAYOS THAT I THOUGHT WERE GOOD,BUT THE STAG GRIPS LOOKED A BIT TO WHITE(NOT ALOT OF AGE) FOR ME.

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 01 May 2002 04:36

MY H/J FAVS ARE DUAL MARKED.MAKER AND RZM.BUT I JUST PICKED UP A KILLER SMF W/ MOTTO.NEVER HAPPY! :D

Keith Loughmiller
Banned

Bret

Post by Keith Loughmiller » 01 May 2002 16:24

Yes, the stag grips have that "yellow" age look to them. Just like real bayos with the stag grip. I will get pics on tonight. Oh yea, it is RZM marked blade, with no motto.

Keith Loughmiller
Banned

here it is

Post by Keith Loughmiller » 03 May 2002 03:13

Anybody have any ideas what or why?
Image Image
[/img] :roll:

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”