Reference books

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Marcus

Reference books

Post by Marcus » 04 May 2002, 12:02

Which are the best reference books on Third Reich edged weapons?
I'm looking to buy a solid reference so any input would be great.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 04 May 2002, 12:03

I've been thinking about buying "Seitengewehr: History of the German Bayonet 1919-1945" by Geroge T. Wheeler, any thoughts on that book?

/Marcus

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 04 May 2002, 12:31

WHEN I FIRST STARTED THE MAIN ONE WAS JOHNSONS VOLUME #1. IT HAS THE BASICS. WITTMANN'S ARMY,LUFTWAFFE,NAVY, AND THE UPCOMMING SS BOOKS "EXPLORING THE DRESS DAGGERS OF.... SERIES ARE ALSO FIRST RATE. REPRODUCTION? RECOGNITION! (EITHER OR BOTH) ARE ALSO GOOD.RON WIENAND HAS A GOOD ONE ALSO.A GOOD REFERENCE BOOK OR BOOKS ARE THE FOUNDATION OF ANY COLLECTION. THE EARLY COLLECTORS JUST "WINGED IT" US YOUNG'NS HAVE THE GOOD FORTUNE OF LEARNING BEFORE WE START.... I DONT OWN THE WHEELER BOOK.I AM SURE SOMEONE HERE DOES AND CAN COMMENT

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 04 May 2002, 16:40

Marcus,

Wheeler's book is an excellent reference and will be a geeat addition to your library. I agree with Bret that Wittmann's books are superb.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 04 May 2002, 22:54

I collected daggers in the 1970s and sold my collection to get into just research and writing. I kept all my materials for research and my favorite was always Angolia's 1st dagger book via Bender: "Daggers, Bayonets and Fighting Knives of Hitler's Germany." Wittmann books nice on 1 dagger type but Angolia's shows the collection of an early premier collection that were all mint. His swords book by Bender (actually his 3rd with that publisher) is nice for Army swords. Just my opinion, he was at his best doing edged weapons books.

Mark

MICHAELM82

Post by MICHAELM82 » 09 May 2002, 07:30

Marcus
The only one I have is Edged Weapons by Robin Lumsden, preety good to along with his collectors guide to the Third Reich and Waffen SS.
Best
Mike

Kurt

Post by Kurt » 12 Oct 2002, 12:19

Hello,
i collect about 8 years now, i normally collect daggers but for every other collection you need books, books is a must! I have a lot of books about Militaria! The complete serie from Thomas M Johnson "Collecting..... also a lot of other books from Thom He is my favorite dealer and author! I have also all the books from Thomas T Wittmann, i have also books from Frederick j Stephens, John Angolia, David Littlejohn etc etc
All the best, Kurt, http://www.wwiirelics.com

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”