cleaning and displaying

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
polar wolf

cleaning and displaying

Post by polar wolf » 29 Oct 2017, 01:13

Hi everyone, I've got a few questions about cleaning and displaying of my slowly growing collection. I have a couple of flags that are very dirty with what feels like oil on them. I don't want to be to harsh on them as I don't want to damage the stamping on them. The eagle again is very dirty with the same oily covering. It is aluminium so again I don't want to damage the stamping on it with degreasers. The porcelain signs have rust staining on them along with rusty edges where the porcelain has chipped. Should I use a rust killer/stain remover on them or would this damage the porcelain? The vehicle number plates are easy enough to wash but they too have surface rust. I am concerned that if I use a rust converter it may cause the stamps to smudge or the numbers to smear as they appear to be a little porous. I like patina on things to show it's history so I don't want crisp clean flags or shinny belt buckles. Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Cheers :D
Attachments
flag6.JPG
flag6.JPG (135.2 KiB) Viewed 533 times
number plates1.JPG
flag1.JPG
flag1.JPG (103.65 KiB) Viewed 533 times
eagle (3).JPG
eagle (1).JPG

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: cleaning and displaying

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 29 Oct 2017, 05:20

TOSS EVERY RELIC YOU POSTED INTO THE TRASH CAN, AS ALL ARE VERY BAD FAKES,

polar wolf

Post by polar wolf » 29 Oct 2017, 13:23

I thought that they were, that's why they were cheap. Thanks.

rlimike

Post by rlimike » 30 Oct 2017, 00:22

What Mark said :thumbsup:

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”