German Kriegsmarine Battle Flag National War Flag Authenticity and Price?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Overtoc

German Kriegsmarine Battle Flag National War Flag Authenticity and Price?

Post by Overtoc » 22 Nov 2017, 01:52

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum but I've been collecting for a little while now. My pride and joy ha been to purchase and authentic displayable Kriegsmarine Flag. I have found one that is in very good condition and is the standard 80×135 which is a good displayable piece. However this is an Internet purchase, so I just wanted to get thoughts on authenticity. I'm 99.9% sure it is authentic from all of my studies and such but I just wanted to post on here first. Also honestly what is a FAIR asking price for this? I've seen them listed from anywhere from $395 to $895 for that size. I know A lot of it has to do with the condition of the flag and as you can see in the pictures this one is very well done. Again just because it's listed for $800 doesn't mean its worth that. I've browsed and again these flags seem hard to come by and get snatched up fast when they do and are deemed authentic. I got burned on a purchase a little while ago so I'm definitely going to be using this forum! Comments are appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_4816.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4814.JPG
IMG_4813.JPG
IMG_4812.JPG

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: German Kriegsmarine Battle Flag National War Flag Authenticity and Price?

Post by John G. » 22 Nov 2017, 06:02

Looks like a nice clean original flag to me.... lacks the "Eagle M" proof so technically it's a Reichskreigflagge, not necessarily the Kreigsmarine version. After 1944 the RKF was the standard "Battleflag" of the Wehrmacht for all branches. I've had this maker before.
John G.

Overtoc

Post by Overtoc » 22 Nov 2017, 15:10

Any thoughts on what you guys would pay for something like this? What the value is?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 22 Nov 2017, 15:36

The value is what you're willing to pay.... as a dealer I wouldn't pay much over $250.00 but as a collector who wants one I should expect to pay $450./500.00+ for a nice clean one. The Naval proofs do usually "add" some to the price, but this one is without.... value is really much too speculative. Dealers charge 50% mark up usually, and a RKF isn't what you'd call scarce....just pricey. At a collector show these can be had much more reasonably than from a private dealer. Rest is up to you.
John G.

Overtoc

Post by Overtoc » 22 Nov 2017, 18:55

For reference the person that is selling this was asking $595 for it and has offered to take $500 for it. I am not a dealer, so I'm a collector and I wouldn't purchase this with the intention of reselling it trying to make money, however I also don't want to purchase something over the fair market value of it and if I ever do decide to sell it wind up losing money.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”