WWI German "Bunker Plate"?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Redneck Sturmcrow

WWI German "Bunker Plate"?

Post by Redneck Sturmcrow » 29 Nov 2017 00:34

Hello all!

Picked up this little pieces from a collector at a gun-show last weekend and have had a heck of time finding out what it is. The collector claims it is a "Bunker Plate" from the battlefields somewhere around Riga. I can only guess this was pilfered from the battlefield and quickly sold on the web.

My question is, does anyone have a clue as to what this may be, or where I could go for further research?
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg
Stuck the cardboard in there to prevent anyone from cutting themselves on the hardware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: WWI German "Bunker Plate"?

Post by John G. » 29 Nov 2017 17:33

I'd say a "Bunker Plate" is probably just a sales pitch... no rank or unit ID, looks more like an old Grave Marker with a German name.... whether it's military or civilian is anyone's guess without further research and it could be WW 1 related, don't know. There must be a WW 1 German KIA list, unit's around Riga, etc. but hardly worth the effort in my opinion. At least it does look "real", coming out of the "east" often means crap with names, eagles & swas., SS runes, and artificial ageing added.

I'd give it shelf space as a conversation piece....
John G.

Redneck Sturmcrow

Re: WWI German "Bunker Plate"?

Post by Redneck Sturmcrow » 15 Dec 2017 04:35

Thanks for your input John! I figured it was a fake, but a second opinion really helps. At least it was cheap and came with a box of ammo! :D

Heard quite a lot of horror stories about "relics" from Eastern Europe as of late, especially with the Great War's centennial. Isn't there some sort of protection for these old battlefields? Can't imagine a government just letting random strangers go digging around with metal detectors.

-R.S.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”