Luftwaffe second model dagger

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
astang

Luftwaffe second model dagger

Post by astang » 21 Jan 2018, 22:28

Hi there. I've recently been given this dagger by my Grandfather and just wanted to know abit about it. Wether it's genuine or a replica. It has been sat in his wardrobe for 50+ years. He fought in WW2 and he's always said he's had it since then. If that's true or not who knows. There are no markings on the blade as to who made it. It's in pretty bad condition rust and dirt has built up over the years. Thanks very much. :D https://imgur.com/a/UwkT1

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: Luftwaffe second model dagger

Post by John G. » 21 Jan 2018, 23:05

Original Luftw. 2nd model Officer's Dagger & sheath. Missing the grip wrap and uncleaned, but not as "bad" as some... You shouldn't try to heavily clean it! .... some say leave it untouched but I would give it a squirt of "WD-40" and a good gentle wipe over, it will help stop any zink pest and "clean it up" some.... but entirely up to you.

Unmarked is not all that unusual, could be properly "restored" if desired... but the missing grip wrap is a big minus "value" wise.... Grandfather wasn't B.S.ing you about this one.
Nice heirloom...
John G.

astang

Re: Luftwaffe second model dagger

Post by astang » 21 Jan 2018, 23:36

That's great. Thank you for your speedy response and tips on how to clean it. Much appreciated

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”