Transporting an Iron Cross through customs

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
TheDawg

Transporting an Iron Cross through customs

Post by TheDawg » 28 Jun 2018 15:52

Hello guys this is my first post on here so forgive me for any annoyances. I purchased an iron cross ww1 which came with a white slip (which I assume helps for customs) and an iron cross 2nd class in Munich which I wasn’t given one. Does anyone have any experience traveling with iron crosses? I am flying back from Vienna to Chicago next week and would love to have the proper documentation or if I should carry it or ship it home if it can’t go through customs for whatever reason. Does anyone have experience flying with Iron crosses From Austria and if they get through customs?

Thanks!

von thoma

Re: Transporting an Iron Cross through customs

Post by von thoma » 29 Jun 2018 20:01

There should not be any problem, if you declare those purchases.
But look at the surprised face of the custom officer, when he inspects the two german crosses.
Here you have some U.S. Customs and Border Protection rules ; https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/s ... uggested/1
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

TheDawg

Re: Transporting an Iron Cross through customs

Post by TheDawg » 29 Jun 2018 23:49

von thoma wrote:There should not be any problem, if you declare those purchases.
But look at the surprised face of the custom officer, when he inspects the two german crosses.
Here you have some U.S. Customs and Border Protection rules ; https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/s ... uggested/1
Haha, I can only imagine. What do you have to do to declare these purchases? Do I have to fill out some paperwork? I was not given a receipt of any kind for my second iron cross. Should I ship this one back via fedex or ups or will I be fine? Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”