Help about Polizeipräsident in Stettin stamp

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ameal

Help about Polizeipräsident in Stettin stamp

Post by Ameal » 04 Aug 2018 01:12

So I stumbled over this forum while browsing the internet for who might have owned and used a certain stamp during WW2. I got a hold of this stamp a couple of years ago and just now thought I'd do some research on it. It is engraved with an eagle encircled by the writing "Polizeipräsident in Stettin", and in the middle it says "Gott mit uns".

I found a previous post that stated that these men had been holding the position of Polizeipräsident in Stettin:

SA-Ogruf Wilhelm Jahn 1.2.1939 - 12.2.42
Dr. Brüchl 13.2.42 - 12.4.43
C. Grundey 13.4.43 - 4.45

So my question is, did any of these use this stamp, or was it used by someone lower in rank on behalf of them? And what type of documents was it used for?

Thank you in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

von thoma

Re: Help about Polizeipräsident in Stettin stamp

Post by von thoma » 04 Aug 2018 02:50

The eagle and motto, are the coat arms of State flag of Prussia, during 1933-1935.
SS-Oberführer Fritz Karl Engel was Polizeipräsident Stettin 1933-1934.
I'm sorry to tell you, that I suspect this stamp is fake.

Rubber Stamps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Ameal

Post by Ameal » 04 Aug 2018 08:19

That's very interesting. Why do you believe it's fake? Is there any clues I should look for when it comes to identifying whether things like these are the real deal or not?

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 04 Aug 2018 11:10

I assume you flipped the photo?
If we become increasingly humble about how little we know, we may be more eager to search.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 04 Aug 2018 18:06

Excellent catch there Greg, I did not pick up that either.. hard to reverse a pic when uploaded to his PC pic files, so as von thoma says, a no good stamp...

Ameal

Post by Ameal » 04 Aug 2018 18:41

Yes the picture was inverted for readability. I'm slightly confused as to why you assume it's a no good stamp or a fake though. I'm not particularly invested in this stamp, but I'd like to know how I can tell if it's the real deal or not.

I've added a picture of the whole stamp:

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 04 Aug 2018 21:06

I post anew similar stamp of prussian State dated 1937. I own directories of Prussia up to 1939.
Best regards

Georges

JoeW

Post by JoeW » 06 Aug 2018 17:50

Ameal wrote:
04 Aug 2018 18:41
Yes the picture was inverted for readability. I'm slightly confused as to why you assume it's a no good stamp or a fake though. I'm not particularly invested in this stamp, but I'd like to know how I can tell if it's the real deal or not.

I've added a picture of the whole stamp:
Although the metal engraving is very nicely done, the wood handle is a tip-off to me of its modern production. I have been "stuck" with a few stamps with similar unfinished turned wooden handles, metal reinforcement band and screw on feature. Those original stamps that I have, including a Gestapo wax seal and one or two police stamps, feature nicely finished wooden handles that are smoothly sealed with a coating of varnish I suspect. And all original stamps seem to have a small addition that allows the user to know which way to hold it to stamp it correctly. I have attached a view of the Gestapo stamp to give you and idea.
Gestapo Siegel.jpg

Ameal

Post by Ameal » 07 Aug 2018 08:56

Thank you very much for your reply.
And all original stamps seem to have a small addition that allows the user to know which way to hold it to stamp it correctly. I have attached a view of the Gestapo stamp to give you and idea.
This is the exact sort of answer I was looking for. I guess I will go on and try to sell it since I personally don't see any value in replicas.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 08 Aug 2018 14:36

Even if you sell it as a reproduction... the next person may very well sell it as real which hurts the entire collecting community. Either junk it or keep it as a reminder of your mistake.... reselling it only continues the fraud.

We've all been dupes before... it can be an expensive lesson.
John G.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”