Looking for info re: Flags, bust, etc. from the Nazi era

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
deerollman

Looking for info re: Flags, bust, etc. from the Nazi era

Post by deerollman » 08 Sep 2018 20:17

First off I hope I'm putting this in the right forum, I am an infrequent guest around here.

I am an amateur antique collector and recently purchased some stuff from nazi germany from a dealer at prices that seemed more reasonable than what I usually see. I am a total novice on the authenticity of this stuff so I'm hoping to get some info here. I'm mainly wanting to know if it is indeed real and also just out of curiosity how and where/ why etc this stuff was used. The only test I've done is the UV test, which it all passes to my untrained eye. I would appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Pictures coming momentarily.

deerollman

Re: Looking for info re: Flags, bust, etc. from the Nazi era

Post by deerollman » 08 Sep 2018 20:20

Penant thing and bust of Goering, penant is fringed all around like it was sewn onto something and removed.

Flag, maybe 2 x 3, appears to have been hung on something with safety pins. The symbol is printed on the white circle which was sewn onto the background.

Set of knives dated 1941, I found something online that suggested these were luftwaffe.

More coming.
Last edited by deerollman on 08 Sep 2018 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

deerollman

Post by deerollman » 08 Sep 2018 20:36

Two armbands, one printed and one with the circle and symbols sewn on separately, the dealer said the latter was an earlier piece.

The one anomaly I saw under the blacklight was the thead around the edges of the 2 x 3 flag. under normal light this thread is only slightly ligher than the flag and I didn't even notice it until I used UV.

Lastly I got a big banner that measured 57 x 180 with the symbol printed on. I'm kicking myself for not getting a pic when I tested it, but it's a PITA to unfold and refold it so no pic here. It's in great shape except some soiling. It can be partially seen in the last photo of the last post, under UV.

deerollman

Post by deerollman » 08 Sep 2018 21:03

Lastly I'm wondering if there is any way to smooth out the creases on the 2 x 3 flag. I'm guessing no, but worth a shot.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 09 Sep 2018 03:34

Let me respond backwards as they come up on my screen....

Both armband are real but low end...... Meaning the cheapest versions the time.... Absolutely collectible so not knocking them.

The small pennant is a simple stick pennant or parade waver..... Cheap but real.... Like above. The Goering bust highly questionable, but better pictures needed.... Don't get your hopes up on it.

The small swastika flag is a nice display size.... Ironing and a little folding around the white circle could make it look better, but you could ruin it too. I'd leave it alone. The blacklisted is not always the best test, as some treated threads will glow some...

The knife with the eagle (assume both are same) are Army, with zink handles.....real but tired.

Can't comment on the larger flag without seeing it..... Remember swastika flags were one of the most common items the average GI brought home.

Don't know your age or wallet.... Just be cautious, these items are good beginner stuff but all easily obtained. The Goering Bust is the big question, but big if! There are many sources of militaria out there, good hunting.
John G.

deerollman

Post by deerollman » 09 Sep 2018 18:56

John G thanks so much for the info. Here's some more pics of the bust and banner. Again the banner is about 57 x 180, I've included a pic of the grommets on the sides that appear to be reinforced and also shows some soiling. Oddly the bust is the one thing I thought would surely be real just because I would think the other cloth stuff would be so cheaply replicated. That all the cloth stuff is real has me optimistic about the bust as it tells me the guy dealing them knew what he had and wasn't selling a bunch of crap. He did say of the bust that it was a "nice piece", he did not say that about anything else.

John G.

Post by John G. » 10 Sep 2018 14:54

Large flag looks fine, the bust is harder to be sure.... but I'd have serious doubts.... especially with the horrible name plate being nothing like found on typical German produced items. Very easy to re-cast a bust like this and difficult to tell without disassembling it from it's base. Not a bad display item.... would depend on what you paid. I'd keep it and leave it alone but put it in the very doubtful list. If I paid a lot for it, I'd return it.... stick with conventional items.... avoid SS and fancy presentation items until you've learned what to look for.

We'll do what we can to assist you...
John G.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 11 Sep 2018 01:16

Agree with JohnG about everything, here is a poor pic of your big ass flag(mo0re of a street streamer type) in actual use.I have had like hundreds of these huge types, we used to use them as table covers at militaria and antique-gun shows till the PC (politically correct) people started in.THe thing with these huge flags, the bigger, the cheaper they are.Hard to display, strickly a buy to resell for profit thing item.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 11 Sep 2018 01:23

John G.

Post by John G. » 11 Sep 2018 04:02

Thanks Mark..... Still have serious doubts about the bust, the name plate is horrible imo, and the examples that are matching in the pictured examples aren't convincing to my eyes..... But that said, makes a decent display piece.... But nothing I'd pay much for personally. Just my opinion of course.
John G.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”