SS FLAG please help me identify

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Hanktentanks

SS FLAG please help me identify

Post by Hanktentanks » 26 Sep 2018 03:44

Hello, i have found this flag at relatives house. Can anyone identify how it was used and where it was used. What does the Number (1) or letter under the skull mean? Can you tell if this is authentic or a reproduction? thanks, please help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: SS FLAG please help me identify

Post by John G. » 26 Sep 2018 19:35

While normally it would require many more detailed photos to determine originality, in this case it's pretty certain it's a reproduction. This exact flag was sold in the 1970/80s by several repro. dealers like Delta, WE 2 unlimited, and Kelleys..... to name a few. The one under the skull would represent the 1st Totenkopf Standarten.
Sorry .....
John G.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 29 Sep 2018 08:05

Example of flag used by SS-Totenkopf Standarte 2 "Brandenburg", III Battalion.
SS runes were used only on Standards, Banners and Pennants, not in Flags ( except Flag of the SS Heimwehr Danzig )

MVC-014S.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 03 Oct 2018 18:11

von thoma wrote:
29 Sep 2018 08:05
SS runes were used only on Standards, Banners and Pennants, not in Flags ( except Flag of the SS Heimwehr Danzig )
I’m not sure it is correct to say that SS runes weren’t used in flags. I have seen several period photos showing the (often reproduced) black flag with white runes (see example below).

Fred

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 03 Oct 2018 21:46

i’m not sure it is correct to say that SS runes weren’t used on a flag.
But not in use in SS-Totenkopfverbände ( SS-TV ), with a skull and Standarten, Sturmbanne numbers , as shown the first picture
I would rate your photo as a pennant or standard, not as flag
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 06 Oct 2018 02:31

viewtopic.php?t=160390&p=1400811#p1400811 I knew I had posted this years ago.. and this as well should answer all questions

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”