USN mark 1 knife with sheath and bayonet 42asw and sheath with matching numbers

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
James1115

USN mark 1 knife with sheath and bayonet 42asw and sheath with matching numbers

Post by James1115 » 12 Dec 2018, 04:21

Does anyone have any idea what these two knives are worth? They were just passed down to me by my great grandfather. I don’t intend on selling them but wanted to know more about them. The sheath with knife and belt strap on the USN mark 1 are in excellent condition. The bayonet and metal sheath are both matching numbers and in great condition. 5e leather is in good condition also. Any info is greatly appreciated.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: USN mark 1 knife with sheath and bayonet 42asw and sheath with matching numbers

Post by John G. » 12 Dec 2018, 14:47

Very generally speaking: USN Mk. 1 usually runs $50.00 to $90.00 depending on condition.... if the blade has been sharpened, the type of material used on the handle pommel, condition of the spacers, blued or unblued blade etc.

The German M98 Mauser bayonet also depends on several factors, grip material, blade, blueing on sheath, etc. When you say leather, do you mean the "frog" (belt hanger for the bayonet)....that can make a $40./50. difference in the value of the bayonet). Value for the bayonet can be $100.00 to $200.00- high end usually includes the frog.

These are dealer retail prices...often both can be had for much less at auction or at a yard sale and some dealers ask quite alot more.... you should lightly oil the metal parts, don't try "cleaning" them.... and cherish them as heirlooms.... if you don't, find someone who will appreciate them.
John G.

James1115

Re: USN mark 1 knife with sheath and bayonet 42asw and sheath with matching numbers

Post by James1115 » 12 Dec 2018, 20:52

Ok yes I mean the frog I guess lol. They both have belt connectors. I will just hang onto them. I thought I read that the mark 1 was more valuable because there aren’t many real ones still around. Maybe I was reading something else.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”