Imperial German Banner

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
bossbrigand

Imperial German Banner

Post by bossbrigand » 16 May 2019, 16:27

Hey yall, I picked up this Imperial German banner yesterday from a friend of mine. I have some questions about its authenticity, era, and original purpose.

Apologies in advance if hotlinking from other hosts is verboten, I’m on my phone and don’t see an option to upload direct to the forum.

It is roughly 7x4ft and is presumably intended to hang vertical.

Is there any way to identify its specific original purpose, or roughly when it was made?

Also, this banner is quite seriously water stained and also seems to have some nicotine stains. Because of this damage I am sure it’s original, but I’m also worried about its future and would like to clean it if possible for stability’s sake. Any recommendations in that department?

Thanks in advance for any help yall can offer...

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Imperial German Banner

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 17 May 2019, 07:00

Yeah, I've had several of these in the past.. everyone codsidered them good relics. These would be wall hangers so to speak, against a wall, in back of a speaker etc, kind of common as they were Weimer Republic or KaiserReich,or Imperial German..(pre NSDAP)

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 17 May 2019, 13:26

I agree with Mark, probably 1920s/early 30s, leave it as is..... Cleaning would not be a good idea.
John G.

bossbrigand

Post by bossbrigand » 17 May 2019, 19:44

I have been told several times that it is probably Weimar, but as far as I can tell the Weimar version of this flag still features the black/red/yellow tricolor in the top left - if this banner was Weimar era, wouldn't it either be the black/red/yellow tricolor or have it in the top left?

e: Oh nevermind I see the Weimar Republic still used this tricolor in some capacity, as well as the NSDAP afterward until 1935.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 17 May 2019, 21:47

Bahha, all is forgiven...

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”