1930s German Naval Jack - Real or Fake???

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
TarquiniusSuperbus

1930s German Naval Jack - Real or Fake???

Post by TarquiniusSuperbus » 04 Jun 2019 00:20

I came across this vintage 1930s German Naval Jack in an antiques store in my town. At first glance it looked legit, but I figured I'd ask for opinions on here before buying it. What do you think? The double white border around the iron cross seemed weird to me, and I only see a single white border in any depiction of this flag that I can find online. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TarquiniusSuperbus

Re: 1930s German Naval Jack - Real or Fake???

Post by TarquiniusSuperbus » 04 Jun 2019 01:42

EDIT: I found this entry on FOTW that says the white edging on the black and red stripes was added to the design in 1933 when it was reinstated. Previous versions of the flag did not have the stripe. Would still like to know if people think it is real though.
https://fotw.info/flags/de1933~w.html

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 04 Jun 2019 22:42

Need much better pictures of material, markings, exact size, rope,...... Looks very questionable.
John G.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 04 Jun 2019 23:01

I say NO!!!! For one,, NO reenforced threads on tailing edge as these should have. Multiple rows of re enforcement sewing,,to help prevent shreading and wind tearing, and just way too new and IMO the rope with white bunting says REPRO

TarquiniusSuperbus

Post by TarquiniusSuperbus » 04 Jun 2019 23:59

Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I've had a bad feeling about it too. Do you know if all German flags from this era have reinforced tail ends? I've seen a couple online that had two lines of stitching on the tail but three smaller diagonal lines reinforcing the tail end's points. Is this normal?

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 05 Jun 2019 16:59

My opinion was if this flag was for shipoboard flying, it would have this type of sewing, give or take a line or so, not the single thread folded over as this one has, RED FLAG of being junk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”