Help identifying Reich spoon with Adolf Hitler's Standard

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
kingcole808

Help identifying Reich spoon with Adolf Hitler's Standard

Post by kingcole808 » 24 Dec 2019 10:11

Hi, I've had this spoon in my family since 1980 when it was purchased at an outdoor flea market somewhere around Dusseldorf. After showing interest in a German medal that was on display, the old lady selling her wares, took a spoon out from her car and sold it to my mother (I was 10). The spoon is very unusual in that it is gold plated. I only seem to find silver examples of Reich silverware. The marking on the handle is the Standard of the Leader and National Chancellor 1935-1945 which is the personal flag of Adolf Hitler. Other examples of spoons from the time period have "SS" or particular Wehrmacht units on them. The famous, personal AH silverware has a perched eagle on a swastika. I can't imagine anyone in Germany having the audacity to get silverware with the fuhrer's logo on it for their own personal use. It's possible that it was taken as a souvenir from an event that Hitler attended.
The only marking on the reverse is "DEP". From what I have read, it could stand for "Depose" or (copy write). It could also be, "Deutsches eingetragenes Patent" or (German registered design). Has anyone seen anything like this or know anything about it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matthew4108

Re: Help identifying Reich spoon with Adolf Hitler's Standard

Post by matthew4108 » 24 Dec 2019 16:19

kingcole808 wrote:
24 Dec 2019 10:11
It's possible that it was taken as a souvenir from an event that Hitler attended.
There is another possibility I'm afraid, and that is- the piece is a forgery of a genuine (period, even) utensil being marked with AH Standarte long after the V-Day. Just my opinion of course.

kingcole808

Post by kingcole808 » 24 Dec 2019 21:32

Thanks matthew4108, There is always that possibility. I can't see someone going through that much work to get a few marks for it. I don't think mom paid more than 60 marks at the time.

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 24 Dec 2019 21:56

So...You don't think there are people that will make spurious engravings on a $2 dollar spoon, to sell them upwards of 30 Euros, but you believe someone would sell a personal, gilded, rare as hens teeth utensil with a legitimate connection to Adolf Hitler for 30 Euros when if real would be worth thousands?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 25 Dec 2019 00:47

Sorry, but I don't believe this is a genuine item, the Fuhrer Standart engraving is very low quality, and makes little sense in and of itself. If real, other examples would have surfaced by now. As for "why".... 30 euros for a $2.00 spoon makes it quite a profitable enterprise.... For the crook selling it anyway.
John G.

kingcole808

Post by kingcole808 » 25 Dec 2019 02:34

Thank you all that replied. Maybe I'll use it to stir my coffee while I read the forum. Happy Holidays to all.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”