Mauser K98k 8X64s

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Karimgpx

Mauser K98k 8X64s

Post by Karimgpx » 19 Aug 2020, 16:31

Hello there

A friend of mine have this rifle, and i want to buy it.

He told me that it comes from an old house in France where germans left and leaving a lot of stuff.
I'am a bit spetical about all that.

More of that, this rifle had been recalibrated by Armuerie de Saint Etienne in 8x64s.

Can someone told me if this rifle is an original one ?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20200819-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200819-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200819-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200819-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200819-WA0003.jpg

paulrward

Re: Mauser K98k 8X64s

Post by paulrward » 20 Aug 2020, 02:25

Hello All :

To Mr. Karimgpx :

The 8x64 S round was developed prior to WW1 in an attempt to improve the long range performance of
the 1898 Mauser. The German army studied it, but decided that the cost of re barreling every Mauser 98
and Commission 88 in their inventory to a new caliber was cost prohibitive.

It got some popularity in the 1920s, as a big game cartridge in Africa, but by the time WW2 was rolling
around, it's time had passed.

Nowadays, there are very few companies manufacturing the case ( it cannot be made from any other
case ) so ammunition can be pricy and hard to obtain. Unless you can purchase a large supply of cases,
and cast your own hard lead bullets with gas checks, and have the re-loading equipment, you might be
stuck with a gun that is, essentially, a very attractive ' wall hanger ' .

Mr. Karimgpx , I note you are from France. I am not familiar with all of the firearms laws in France,
as well as the ammunition laws, but you might want to look into these before purchasing the rifle.

Now, that being said, if the price of the rifle is VERY, VERY low, and you know a gunsmith who is reasonable
in his rates, you could then see if you could get a replacement bolt body, and a new barrel, and have the
rifle converted to either 8x57 mauser, or possibly 7.62 NATO ( .308 Winchester ) . Those are easy to
obtain, reasonable in price, and would give you the ability to stop smaller dromaeosaurids such as Velociraptors
or Oviraptors.

Respectfully :

Paul R. Ward
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Karimgpx

Post by Karimgpx » 20 Aug 2020, 08:33

Hello Mr Paulrward

And thank you for your quick reply.

My friend purpose me 400 € for this rifle.

He told me that 8x64s ammo are easly findable in France ... isnt'it ?

I'am an army NCO, so i got a firing license, but i don't know anything about other weapons that we don't use in the army.

Kindly, Karimgpx

paulrward

Post by paulrward » 20 Aug 2020, 16:54

Hello Mr. Karimgpx

Well, I did some checking, and apparently France has laws restricting the ownership of military rifles
in military calibers. So, 8x64S is , in fact, a very viable alternative. And, there is an outfit in
Australia which , right now, is making the empty cases for it. It can take a standard Nosler 8mm ( 7.92 )
bullet, and Nosler makes some very nice full and semi jacketed hollow point bullets, so, with the
proper re-loading equipment, such as a Dillon Precision Progressive unit, a supply of powder, primers,
and some odds and ends, you can load your own ammunition, re using the cases a number of times. This
will cut down your expenses tremendously, allowing you to do more target shooting and perhaps some
hunting in areas of Europe where this is still allowed.

You might want to lay in a supply of loaded rounds, as well as several hundred empty brass cases, bullets,
primers, and a good supply of powder, just for emergencies.

Here in the United States, this is called, ' Being Prepared. '

Respectfully :

Paul R. Ward

Zombie.jpg
Preparedness
Zombie.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Information not shared, is information lost
Voices that are banned, are voices who cannot share information....
Discussions that are silenced, are discussions that will occur elsewhere !

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”