Mystery Simson and Suhl Co Bayonet

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
damilitariaguy

Mystery Simson and Suhl Co Bayonet

Post by damilitariaguy » 06 Jan 2021, 21:28

Howdy all,

Just found this bayonet a few days ago and it still has me stumped. Every version I find online has a curved butt where this has a flat one. only markings are Simson and Co Suhl on the face of the blade.

thanks!
Attachments
suhl 5.jpg
Suhl 4.jpg
suhl 3.jpg
Suhl 1.jpg
suhl 2.jpg

Waleed Y. Majeed

Re: Mystery Simson and Suhl Co Bayonet

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 06 Jan 2021, 22:00

Looks like someone has cut it off. No locking mechanism or “muzzle ring” and handle seems a bit short or somehow wrong. Could it be a “demilitarized / legalized” bayonet made into a hunting knife?

Waleed

damilitariaguy

Post by damilitariaguy » 06 Jan 2021, 22:27

That thought crossed my mind too, if that is the case they did a very good job at matching the finish as there is no rough edges. You bring up an interesting point on the "locking Mechanism" on the handle that every other bayonet I've seen has had. This one clearly is missing it but to the best of what I can tell there is no evidence of there ever being one, Do you think they would have replaced the whole "Butt" in an attempt to demilitarize it? if they did there should have been a hole there for the mechanism right?

Thanks for all the Help Walleed!

-John

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 06 Jan 2021, 23:08

If a replacement “butt” then why still the “groove” for rifle attachment. If me I would have chosen a solid “butt” replacement. I would say as it is now it’s a former bayonet unable to attach safely to a rifle due to missing lock of any kind (front or back). So, no longer the military item it was and ok for civilian use. Countries have different rules on such mattets and can only say if in Denmark you would need a special permit to own it as a bayonet but would most like be ok as is if used as a “wildlife knife”.
Might be worth finding the closest overall match online and make a print in actual size to really get a feeling of how much seems to be missing on yours.

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 07 Jan 2021, 16:15

Good afternoon damilitariaguy,

you may like to take a look at the german website of Herr Hugo Schürer. (1922 - 2012)

Bajonettsammlung Hugo Schürer: http://schuerer-pku.de/HS/

Take your time, you will probably find every information, you are looking for, excellent website!

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”