What kind of SS degen is this?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Zoglet

What kind of SS degen is this?

Post by Zoglet » 08 Mar 2021, 04:13

Dear community,

When looking around for SS edged weapons, I came upon this degen. On the website where I found it, it was described as a late SS officer's degen made in the Dachau camp by Paul Muller in 1938. Despite this, I think it may have been made earlier. The SS insignia button, along with the pattern on the scabbard seems to show remains of blackening. Additionally, the oak leaf ferrule also has blackened, which is a symbol of an earlier piece. The quillon has a drilled hole in it. SS swords usually have light partial drilling to it, but not Dachau productions, according to Tom Wittmann. The knot pattern on the scabbard also contains a screw in the middle, and the scabbard chape lacks screws on the sides. Might the piece be an earlier sword, or did the description hit the ball park?

Best regards,
Zoglet

von thoma

Re: What kind of SS degen is this?

Post by von thoma » 08 Mar 2021, 07:06

Hello ;

It's a copy ( Repro ) of a SS sword

https://simpsonltd.com/german-ss-office ... #gallery-2
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Zoglet

Post by Zoglet » 08 Mar 2021, 07:26

Thanks. You saved me!

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Mar 2021, 15:14

Thanks to Herr von thoma for the link.

SS-Ehrendegen https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS-Ehrendegen

I have seen comparable replicas before, they were sometimes traded for horrendous sums as originals.
The best and worst copies were produced in Spain in the 1970s, there are a few books about these reproductions, the books appeared in small editions earlier, and they are accordingly expensive.

I would recommend contacting a reputable collector, even 500,- Euro for such a sword is too much, not worth the effort.

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”