NSDAP Flag Authenticity

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
TheRadChemist

NSDAP Flag Authenticity

Post by TheRadChemist » 25 Nov 2021, 03:30

This is my first post and I'd like to say hello and ask for forum member's opinions on this flag I came across. From what I've read it's not uncommon for the circle/swastika to be off centered horizontally (left to right), but my question with this flag is it's off center vertically. It is centrally located from left to right but you can see how off it is vertically. The space from the top of the circle to the top of the flag is 32.5mm; the distance from the bottom of the circle to the bottom of the flag is 25mm. I added a picture of the loops at the end and the stitching at the end where the loops are. It is double sided as well with the central circle sewn onto the flag.

I'm bracing for the news it's fake but I won't be too disappointed if it is. This was just an opportunity to add this flag to my collection. I figured this could also be an opportunity for others to learn from if it is indeed fake or authentic.

Thanks for any input!
Attachments
Left Stitching 1.jpeg
Left Stitching 1.jpeg (105.07 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Circle to Red Stitching.jpeg
Circle to Red Stitching.jpeg (84.77 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Left Side Loops.jpeg
Left Side Loops.jpeg (77.19 KiB) Viewed 6652 times
Vertically Uncentered.jpeg

von thoma

Re: NSDAP Flag Authenticity

Post by von thoma » 25 Nov 2021, 17:32

Hello;

Welcome to AHF.

It never waved during the III Reich....It can be seen that it is completely new.
The fabric of the flags is stronger.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Nov 2021, 18:43

TheRadChemist,

difficult to determine, because, for example, there are no stamps on the flag.

I bought a DAF (Deutsche Arbeitsfront) "Pultbehang" hanging for a "Rednerpult" lectern decades ago, comparable to the attached photo.
This hanging was still in mint condition in the 1980s, almost unused, and guaranteed original.
A collector with experience can easily sense whether such an artifact is original, or imitation, such is my personal experience.

It may sound strange, but the "smell" of a piece was very often an important criterion for me, and I was always right with my purchase decisions, always.

Link "german podium banner" https://www.google.com/search?q=german+ ... era&hs=5LL

Good luck with your decision..! :wink:

Hans

P.S. My former DAF "Pultbehang" was in excellent quality, and there was a DAF stamping on the hanging, the quality of today's fakes is very poor, not always, but in most cases.

Very likely I am repeating myself, but I have always purchased such artifacts from a private estate, never from a dealer, in later years never over the internet.
Very sure still quite easy here in Germany, contacts were not always very friendly, but usually.
Not without reason, I only collect printed material, books, posters, etc. now.
Attachments
DAF Pultbehang.jpg
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

TheRadChemist

Post by TheRadChemist » 29 Nov 2021, 15:05

von thoma wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 17:32
Hello;

Welcome to AHF.

It never waved during the III Reich....It can be seen that it is completely new.
The fabric of the flags is stronger.
Direct and to the point...I like that and thank you! I'm actually looking up flags and trying to pick out the small details. Noting the material, color of the thread, and so on. Thanks for the reply!

TheRadChemist

Post by TheRadChemist » 29 Nov 2021, 15:10

Hans1906 wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 18:43
TheRadChemist,

difficult to determine, because, for example, there are no stamps on the flag.

I bought a DAF (Deutsche Arbeitsfront) "Pultbehang" hanging for a "Rednerpult" lectern decades ago, comparable to the attached photo.
This hanging was still in mint condition in the 1980s, almost unused, and guaranteed original.
A collector with experience can easily sense whether such an artifact is original, or imitation, such is my personal experience.

It may sound strange, but the "smell" of a piece was very often an important criterion for me, and I was always right with my purchase decisions, always.

Link "german podium banner" https://www.google.com/search?q=german+ ... era&hs=5LL

Good luck with your decision..! :wink:

Hans

P.S. My former DAF "Pultbehang" was in excellent quality, and there was a DAF stamping on the hanging, the quality of today's fakes is very poor, not always, but in most cases.

Very likely I am repeating myself, but I have always purchased such artifacts from a private estate, never from a dealer, in later years never over the internet.
Very sure still quite easy here in Germany, contacts were not always very friendly, but usually.
Not without reason, I only collect printed material, books, posters, etc. now.
Thank you for the response! I like your approach with buying from private estates rather than dealers. I was actually reading an article the other day about the "smell" being a good indicator of an authentic flag. I need to start smelling flags to figure out what everyone is talking about :)

I asked another user as well but curious to what your thoughts would be. If you came across a flag and the stitching on the center rondel goes outside of the circle, how would that make you feel as far as a red flag? You see some of the white stitching go outside of the white circle and onto the red part of the flag where you can see a gap?

I see you're from Germany? Ich habe Deutschland im 2009 besuchen! Ich habe Westen Deutschland sehen und ich studiere Deutsch fuer zwei jahre aber es tut mir leid fuer mein Deutsch. I had a great time there and the beer is as good as they say :)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Nov 2021, 17:42

TheRadChemist,

"One" no longer collects such things in today's Germany, since everything can be found in a Wikipedia, or even on Facebook.

"One" knows everything, and hardly anyone in this country today is even able to distinguish a Hitler from a Himmler, it's all a "Nazi" mush, everything mixed up, complete dumbing down, disinterest, a dumbed-down smartphone society, only interested in entertainment.

Let it suffice, there is no point in writing more about it.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”