Search for Old Third Reich Collector

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Bruno-Stachel

Search for Old Third Reich Collector

Post by Bruno-Stachel » 30 Jul 2022 10:35

Greetings,

Many, many moons ago (back in the late 60's) I began my quest for knowledge of the Third Reich. Let's say my allowance would not cover postage let alone an Iron Cross 1st Class for an earth-shattering $2.50 (yes - 2 dollars and 50 cents). So I had to be content with drawing these awards on paper, cutting them out, and taping them on my makeshift feldbluse. Still trying to figure out the rank structure I remember one day when I bought a Tamya Kublewagon set, I open the box, and when the directions spilled out so did the rank structure of the SS (Schutze to Sturmbanfuhrer). Well, it was frustrating that the ranks were described in Japanese but what a find. You'd think I had just discovered the Lost Scrolls of the Library of Alexandria (remember I was only 10). SS information. I knew enough that subject was VERBOTEN!

OK - OK so what am I asking? There was a collector I stumbled upon in the early 70s. I think I actually found them from the back of a collector magazine and wrote them. Here is what I remember. The catalog would arrive folded and stapled. I think the color of this catalog was tan. There were no color pictures. One item that was always displayed first was the Red Cross neck award. Now that I was getting an allowance and doing some neighborhood jobs, I was actually able to afford some of these items (they were billed as post-war). I just never could get enough money for the epaulets (though I have quite a few now). There was always a picture of them paired. I do remember getting an Afrika Korps officers breast eagle with a dark brown backing. I think they also showed caps but not uniforms and of course the awards. The hell with Playboy, the nerve of these people dangling a Knights Cross in front of me. And me on my lawn mowing allowance.

I think they eventually move to Hawaii and then I lost contact. My question is does the catalog I described, the mid 70's, the color of this catalog that came folded over and stapled, tan in color and about 10 pages sound familiar? Why this urge to go back into Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine? I just moved and when I was setting up my library and collection I came across a cheap plastic award box and when I opened it there was an Iron Cross 1st Class marked, from that collector back in 1972. Now with my experience, I realized it was authentic, not fake! With all the times I would look at that catalog like the Sears Wishbook, I cannot see the name. I would love to see it or at least remember the name.

Thank you for your time and if it does sound familiar, I would be grateful!

"Who will fly with Stachel?"

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Search for Old Third Reich Collector

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 31 Jul 2022 03:12

Could be the out of business Zalcon Militaria, or old Manions catalogs, or even Jessens Relics when he published a catalog, or just Military Trader magazine, just to name a few

Bruno-Stachel

Re: Search for Old Third Reich Collector

Post by Bruno-Stachel » 31 Jul 2022 12:36

Hi Mark,

I appreciate your taking the time to help me wipe away the cobwebs and try to find that company (which I am sure is long gone). You'd think with what I have now I would let this rest BUT it was the first collector I was able to acquire Third Reich items from and when I found that iron Cross 1st Class, the past just came crashing down.

It was a quarterly catalog and as I said, for all the times I had read and re-read it I cannot see the name.

You did give me an idea. If I could get my hands on some old Military Trade magazines from the VERY early '70s (1970-1971) I just might hit paydirt by looking at the ads in the back of those magazines. WHY? You did jog my memory as THAT is how I came across this particular collector. I think (THINK) they were on the west coast and eventually moved to Hawaii.

Again my sincere appreciation and hope you and yours have a good weekend!

"Who will fly with Stachel?"

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”