The Combat Camera

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
R. J. Kimmel
Banned

The Combat Camera

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 17 Mar 2002, 18:06

The following text is from a feature story that I had written and that was published in The Military Trader publication a couple of years back (I believe it was in the May issue of either 1999 or 2000). If I am permitted, I will post more information about the military versions of these cameras as they are very collectible.

THE COMBAT CAMERA

Combat Cameramen, be they Allied or Axis, all shared the difficult responsibility in recording the men, women and wartime events as they happend. This feature is dedicated to the Combat Cameramen who, in the service of their country, are no longer with us and to those currently serving.

The following is a brief history of the U.S. Signal Corps, more specifically the Signal School.

Fort Monmouth, located between Red Bank and Long Branch, New Jersey, was known as "The Home Of The Signal Corps", and is still referenced to as such by many. The Signal School moved to Fort Gordon, Georgia on October 31, 1976, its present location.

The History of Fort Monmouth and it's predecessor camps, Little Silver and Alfred Vail began in 1917 when the Army, at the outbreak of WWI, recognized that the Signal Corps was of insufficient size to provide the needed support should the United States enter the War. The U.S. Signal Corps first came upon the national scene as an experiment during the Civil War era. Except for the Air Corps, it keeps the visual history of the Army through it's photographs, both still and motion picture, and produces the Army's training films. On September 8, 1939 following the outbreak of war in Europe, President Roosevelt proclaimed a state of "Limited Emergency". This action was to have an immediate and lasting impact on Fort Monmouth.

From the Beaches at Normandy, to the Islands of the South Pacific and beyond, the Combat Cameramen played a significant and dangerous roll in recording this war's history. In most combat situations the C.Cs were afforded protection whenever possible. If captured, C.Cs were usually placed in the same catagory as were Hospital Corpsmen and other Medical Personnel. Although no bounty was placed on the heads of C.Cs, they were indeed a prize when captured. The exposed rolls of film, if still in their possession, could be of strategic value to the enemy.

A brief word on wartime camera production... The companies involved in producing consumer goods were forced in 1942 to suspend production of many cameras, turning their efforts toward war production. However, the civilian models of the Kodak "35" camera fortunately was not among these. First introduced in 1938, continued production until 1948. Eastman Kodak Company was not able to provide a starting date for the production of the military version of this camera, however, I would presume this date span logically would have been between 1942 and 1945.

.NOTE... Because of forum space I have condensed this feature.

There were several other producers of military cameras.

The following is just one account of a U.S. Combat Cameraman:

MEDAL OF HONOR RECIPIENT - PERKINS, WILLIAM THOMAS, JR.

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Marine Corps, Company C, 1st Battalion, 1st Marine Division. Place and date: Quang Tri Provience, Republic of Vietnam, 12 October 1967. Entered service at: San Francisco, California. Born: 10 August 1947, Rochester, NY. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a combat photographer attached to Company C. During Operation MEDINA, a major reconnaisance in force southwest of Quang Tri, Company C made heavy combat contact with a numerically superior North Vietnamese Army force estimated at from 2 to 3 companies. The focal point of the intense fighting was a helicopter landing zone which was also serving as the Command Post of Company C. In the course of a strong hostile attack, an enemy grenade landed in the immediate area occupied by Cpl. Perkins and 3 other marines. Realizing the inherent danger, he shouted the warning "Incoming Grenade", to his fellow marines, and in a valiant act of heroism, hurled himself upon the grenade absorbing the impact of the explosion with his body, thereby saving the lives of his comrads at the cost of his life. Though his exceptional coruage and inspiring valor in the face of certain death, Cp. Perkins reflected great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps and upheld the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

I wish to express m sincere appreciation and thanks to the following individuals for their help and guidance. The material they provided was invaluable. Henry Kearney, Chief of Public Affairs, Office of Public Affairs at Fort Monmouth, NJ. Richard Bingham, Ph.D., Command Historian, United States Army Communications-Electronics Command at Fort Monmouth, NJ. and, Delores Oplinger, Collections Manager, U.S. Army Signal Corps Museum at Fort Gordon, GA.

Richard Kimmel

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 29 Mar 2002, 23:11

As a side note, these, military versions, cameras are highly sought after by camera collectors. The vaues range from several hundred dollars to over one thousand dollars; and you don't have to worry about reproductions.

Richard

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 01 Apr 2002, 22:14

I kinda thought there would be more interest in this subject area???

Richard

Simon H

Combat Cameras

Post by Simon H » 12 Apr 2002, 13:47

An interesting piece! I'm new here so I'm still wandering through the various topics. Didn't the USA cameramen also use a specific military version of the Graphlex camera? I believe these were even OD colour. Never seen one in the "flesh" but would be a nice addition.

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Re: Combat Cameras

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 12 Apr 2002, 15:10

Simon H wrote:An interesting piece! I'm new here so I'm still wandering through the various topics. Didn't the USA cameramen also use a specific military version of the Graphlex camera? I believe these were even OD colour. Never seen one in the "flesh" but would be a nice addition.
Simon... Welcome to the forum. Yes, during W.W.II there was an O.D. and Black version of the Speed Graphic 4x5 used. There were other 35mm cameras used as well... Kodak-35 & Bolsey 35mm cameras (Army/Army Air Corps), Kodak Medalist (mostly Navy) and B&H (Bell & Howell) 16mm motion picture cameras used by all services. The Speed Graphic, Kodak-35 and the B&H 16mm carried over into the Korean conflict. I'm not certain of the ones that were in use during the Viet Nam era.

Richard

Simon H

Combat Camera

Post by Simon H » 15 Apr 2002, 09:54

Hello Richard,
It would be nice to own a WW2 era Graphlex 5/4 camera. Trouble is that the price could be a be high. It is of interest to Militaria collectors as well as collectors of old cameras (of which I was one - once upon a time)!

R. J. Kimmel
Banned

Re: Combat Camera

Post by R. J. Kimmel » 15 Apr 2002, 15:29

Simon H wrote:Hello Richard,
It would be nice to own a WW2 era Graphlex 5/4 camera. Trouble is that the price could be a be high. It is of interest to Militaria collectors as well as collectors of old cameras (of which I was one - once upon a time)!
Simon

Any of these are upwards of $300.00 however, most that I have had were in working condition.

Richard

Simon H

Combat CAmera

Post by Simon H » 15 Apr 2002, 16:29

Richard,
I'll bear that in mind should I ever see one over here in auction. Never know we could get lucky!!

Cheers
Si

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”