Ghetto Guard with Dagger - Photo

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
sylvieK4

Ghetto Guard with Dagger - Photo

Post by sylvieK4 » 16 Aug 2002, 21:25

I found this photograph on line depicting a German soldier directing pedestrian traffic at the perimeter of the Lodz ("Litzmannstadt") ghetto.

The look of the dagger he is wearing is of the style used by the SS, and also the SA, but his uniform is not either. Does anyone have any clues about what type of dagger this would be, and what branch of service this soldier is? Without the overcoat, the uniform looks like the man at the far right of Photo 2, with the swastika armband and the police-type gorget.

Photo 1 with dagger

Photo 2 tunic with dagger

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 16 Aug 2002, 23:45

I WOULD REFER THE UNIFORMS TO THOSE WHO KNOW. AND WHAT IS THE CUFF TITLE??? FROM THE PICTURES THE DO LOOK LIKE SA'S. MAYBE NSKK'S MAYBE THE MOTOR CORP GUYS WERE DOING THIS ALSO? BUT THEY DO LOOK LIKE THE SA'S. VERY NICE PICTURES!!! POST THEM IN THE UNIFORM SECTION SOMEONE WILL BE IN THE KNOW ABOUT THE UNIFORMS. THAT MAY HELP OUT ALOT.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Aug 2002, 12:03

The second photo is of a member of the NSKK.

/Marcus

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 17 Aug 2002, 14:09

Does anyone know why NSKK men were assigned to guard and/or at least direct traffic at Ghetto gates?

As I understood it, guarding and performing other functions close to Ghettos were the duties of either regular police organisations or SS, and sometimes Heer sentries. There are many photos of NSKK uniformed men around, at least, the Lodz Ghetto.

Did the NSKK have any police authorities? Why would they be placed in that role at Ghetto gates? To fill a temporary void in police or other military manpower around the ghetto?

Thanks.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 17 Aug 2002, 14:14

The NSKK did help the police with traffic control, so I'm guessing they were directing traffic.

/Marcus

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 17 Aug 2002, 18:51

O.K. I see that it is NSKK. Here is another good shot of an NSKK man with the SA/SS style dagger I found at the photosammler site:

On the german daggers site, a few items are shown and identified as NSKK, although many of them still do have the SA logo

http://www.germandaggers.com/referencguidemain.htm

Unlike the one below, which doesn't. What was written on the blade of an NSKK dagger?

(I removed this image, as it showed the wrong dagger :oops: )
Last edited by sylvieK4 on 18 Aug 2002, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 18 Aug 2002, 01:37

THIS ONE YOU SHOW FROM CRAIGS SITE/ REFERENCE PAGE IS A NPEA DAGGER. IT LOOKS LIKE HE WILL PUT A NSKK HIGH LEADERS(CHAINED) IN THE SPOT MARKED AS SUCH.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 18 Aug 2002, 01:46

Oops. My mistake :oops: I'll take out that image from my post. In any event, the daggers are of the same design. When the NSKK had their own daggers made for their organisation, what inscription did they have on the blades?

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 18 Aug 2002, 13:18

NO BIGGIE :wink: IT LOOKS LIKE THATS HOW HE HAS THEM LAYED OUT ON THE REFERENCE PAGE. AND DONT BE :oops: IF I HAD A BUCK FOR EVERY :oops: I MADE DOING THIS I COULD RETIRE AND JUST BE A DEALER/ NOVICE HARLEY MECHANIC. THE MOTTO YOUR LOOKING FOR, WHICH I FORGOT TO POST ABOVE IS THE STANDARD SA MOTTO "EVERY THING FOR GERMANY" TO ADD A BIT HERE ON THE NSKK. (I KNOW THE DAGGER BUT NOT THE UNIFORMS,SO THANKS MARCUS!) THE NSKK WERE ORGINALLY PART OF (BRANCH) OF THE SA. THE SCABBARDS WERE THE STANDARD SA COLOR. AFTER MAY OF 1936 THEY WERE PAINTED BLACK TO SHOW THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN THE SA AND NSKK ORGANIZATIONS.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”