SS on Detlevs

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
British Free Corp Mann

SS on Detlevs

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 23 Aug 2002, 23:03

What do you guys think of the SS RZM on Detlevs today?Do you think reasonably priced given the condition,or overpriced?
Interested to hear your views.
John :?

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 24 Aug 2002, 15:30

THINK I LOST MY DAMNED PASSWORD TO D.N.'S SITE :cry: CAN YOU SHOW A PICTURE. WATCH FOR SS STUFF TO SHOOT UP A BIT AFTER THE FALLS RELEASE OF TOM WITTMANNS SS BOOK.

British Free Corp Mann

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 24 Aug 2002, 18:42

He had it up for $800
I'll get a photo later,or mail me I'll 'lend you my words
John

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 26 Aug 2002, 07:01

Yeah I saw that, I would say it is overpriced. I would save up a little more and get a better piece.

British Free Corp Mann

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 26 Aug 2002, 11:07

Ben,
just to back up your thoughts and what I also felt ,sent a mail to him,it's still available! so if anyone is interested get in there,I will be leaving it though

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 26 Aug 2002, 12:20

Here is the photo:
Attachments
02672.jpg
SS-enlisted dagger - Maker mark "RZM 1198/39 SS".The whole dagger is in the untouched "as found" condition.Lower part of scabbard with more age,storage,rust.Lower cross guard with some corrosion.But matching and original in all parts,uncleaned.
02672.jpg (121.7 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

British Free Corp Mann

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 26 Aug 2002, 21:32

Thanks for that Marcus,I run out of time!!

I actually decided to get it,you know with Detlev it is 100% at least and it looks an honest item at a reasonable price.
I will also probably be selling my SS chained by Robert Klass,solingen.It has some flaws,the throat of the scabbard has been replaced,has had a re-paint that must have been a long time ago as it has lost it,and I replaced the crossgaurds a while ago as the other 2 had problems,also bit of damage on the chains on the clip part although clip is still working.
I'll probably stick it on Ebay.

Anyway,what do you think on my new SS ?,Marcus?
:)
Attachments
my ss officers dagger 3.jpg
ss dagger 3
my ss officers dagger 3.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
my ss officers dagger 2 .jpg
ss dagger 2
my ss officers dagger 2 .jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
my ss dagger.jpg
ss dagger
my ss dagger.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

PeterB

SS chained dagger??

Post by PeterB » 27 Aug 2002, 04:02

As far as I know all SS officers chained daggers were unmarked.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of others.

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 27 Aug 2002, 05:02

GOOD POINT PETER! IF WE GO BY TEXBOOK EXAMPLES THEN YES CHAINED SS SHOULD BE WITHOUT A MAKER MARK.
A SHORT STORY HERE FOLLOWS WHICH MAY EXPLAIN THESE NON-TEXTBOOK ONES....... OK THE GERMANS HAVE SIGNED AND THE ALLIES HAVE WON THE WAR IN THE E.T.O. SO ALL WEAPONS (WELL MOST ALL) WERE TO BE BROUGHT TO A LOCATION IN EACH AREA /TOWN (POLICE DEPT,TOWN HALL, SOMETIMES THE STREET TO BE DECIDED BY SOMEONE) VETS GO FOR THE WAR BOOTY TROPHY OR SEVERAL AS THE CASE WAS MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. SAY A GI SEES A SS CHAINED LOOKS NICE BUT NO MAKER. AMERICANS HAVE A LOVE AFFAIR WITH KNIFES THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING. ALOT OF GI'S HAD HUNTING KNIFES,POCKET KNIFES AND THE LIKE IN THE STATES BEFORE THE WAR.
MY DAD WAS ONE OF THESE GI'S HIS FAVORITE WAS A MARBLES HUNTER. THAT EVEN WENT TO THE SOUTH PAC. WITH HIM IN 42'. SO AMERICANS WERE INTO THE "BRANDS" MAKERS OF KNIFES. CASE,MARBLES AND MANY OTHERS. SO MAYBE A GI REPLACED THE UNMARKED SS WITH A SS THAT WAS MARKED.
ALSO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT FIELD UPGRADES. MAYBE OL' FRITZ HAD A EARLY SS AND AFTER A FEW YEARS UPGRADED THE SCABBARD AND A CHAIN.
MANY PURIST ONLY WANT THE NON MAKER MARKED TYPE. SO TO EACH HIS OWN. I WOULD NOT DISCOUNT A MAKER MARKED CHAINED SS JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT TEXTBOOK. WE ARE ALL DIFFRENT TYPES OF COLLECTORS WHAT SOME WILL WOW WHAT AN ODDBALL , OTHERS WILL NOT EVEN BOTHER TO LOOK AT SOMETHING LIKE THIS. JUST MY THOUGHTS.
Last edited by Bret van Sant on 27 Aug 2002, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bret van Sant

Post by Bret van Sant » 27 Aug 2002, 05:04

OH AND IF I FOUND A CHAINED SS THAT WAS MARKED BOKER WOULD I BUY IT? IF I HAD THE FUNDS AND CONDITION FIT MY NEEDS... YOU BET :mrgreen:

British Free Corp Mann

Post by British Free Corp Mann » 27 Aug 2002, 08:10

Bret,yes your correct in what you say.This discussion has been much debated in the recent years.I think the most popular theory is that SS officers bought the chained scabbard when it came out but kept their old maker marked dagger blade.All said and done it is what it is and It'll go for a reasonable price,and hey there is a REAL set of hanging chains there aswell. :)

Baz45

Post by Baz45 » 30 Aug 2002, 13:06

Bret is correct with his 'upgrade theory' . After the introduction of the 36 chained model it was possible for someone who was promoted to merely add the chains to his 33 as opposed to changing the whole dagger.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”