Militaria blacklist/whitelist

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Militaria blacklist/whitelist

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 10 Sep 2002, 19:56

How about this for an idea - a 'library' of all the good and bad militaria dealers out there. Be it knifes, documents or medals, I'm sure this would be a valuable resource for a lot of people, especially newcomers.

It could include a list of the dealers that are good (don't cheat, don't sell repros as reals), but also a list of the 'not so good' (which could include usernames for eBay...)

I wouldn't want to put grades on how good some stores were, since all the goods should be worth dealing with - but a blacklist would certainly be good, and would not force anyone out of business that doesn't deserve to be...

What do you think?

Christian

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 10 Sep 2002, 19:59

Such lists, though a good idea, can also be the source of much problems for the forum. There is also the problem of condeming a dealer based on one or two questionable items, which may not be fair.

/Marcus

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 10 Sep 2002, 20:34

Yes, I see your point Marcus - it would create much threats from dealers 'blacklisted'...

Christian

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 11 Sep 2002, 23:19

Funnily enough I had an email from a person with that exact idea the other week. He was asking me to list any dealers I had dealings with and my experience with them.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 12 Sep 2002, 00:33

Maybe a list of recemmendations? This would not taint anyones rep, only include those that are safe. I'm sure we could think of a few good dealers quite fast...

Christian

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 12 Sep 2002, 00:38

Yes, It was more of a reccomended list he was trying to compile.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 12 Sep 2002, 00:48

Maybe you could invite him to the forum, to share his collected info so far? It could be a thread in this section, called 'good dealers'...?

Christian

Raz

Post by Raz » 12 Sep 2002, 09:34

Even just a recommended list of dealers is still potentially very tricky.
One guy might have had favorable dealings with one dealer while another might have had the exact opposite experience with the same dealer.

For example in the medals section of this forum, one guy asked about dealer "A", he got positive recommendations from the first few replies, as the postings went on this same dealer also got some very negative feedback.

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 12 Sep 2002, 17:03

I think it was going to done on a points system, but wouldnt like to say for sure, when I find him, I will pass on the message.

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 13 Sep 2002, 11:57

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Maybe a list of recemmendations? This would not taint anyones rep, only include those that are safe. I'm sure we could think of a few good dealers quite fast...

Christian
I think that it would be a very short list.

:mrgreen:

PK

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 13 Sep 2002, 14:26

I like the points system. If everyone has 1 vote, it gives a fairly good picture, like on Ezboard...

Christian

Kent Berg

Dealers

Post by Kent Berg » 16 Sep 2002, 17:39

Be carefull here. Leaglity is the issue. First of all, a List most likely would not help here, as said before, sometimes a dealer makes a mistake, and then would be branded for life, plus, how do you prove a dealer is a "crook", unless its been set in court, and proven, you have little proof, its one persons word against anothers. Although it would be nice, its way too risky, and law suits might pop up from it. Be carefull if you slander anybody selling this stuff, I recommend if you have to, base it on personal experiences, not others, as you might not know all the facts. I have learned to say, "I personally would not buy from him'her" and leave it at that. Its risky!

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 16 Sep 2002, 19:35

I dont think thats the issue being made here at all.
As I see it it would be made up of a points system on which you may vote on your experience with a particular dealer.
There would not be any acusations made against anybody.
If you had an enjoyable transaction and were plaesed with the items you purchased then you may vote a 10 for example, if on the other hand you received a fake that was advertised as genuine or had problems with delivery or whatever reason then you would vote accordingly.
I dont really know if anything like this would work anyway, as each dealer would maybe have to subscribe to this list, you would never know how a dealer rated unless you visited this site to check their scoring.
And Im sure if a dealer had a low score they would simply pull out of the system.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 16 Sep 2002, 19:39

I think that a list supported by the stores could work. This way, they would have a certificate, like those on programs you download.

There would be no slander, because the stores themselve would show their score - and if they wouldn't show their score, theye would probably b a reason.

Christian

HJ Division Grenadier

Post by HJ Division Grenadier » 16 Sep 2002, 19:54

Maybe something along the lines of the E-bay feedback system would be sufficient.
Dave.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”