nazi banner

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
kilroy2
Banned

nazi banner

Post by kilroy2 » 18 Sep 2002, 03:49

I have a nazi banner that I bought form a antique store where I hunt. the lady said her husband had it before he died and she decided to sell it in the store.the banner looks real but i dont know any thing about the construction of the banners of the reich. the material is a fine linnen type. the center white is sewn into the red. the black swashtika is silkscreaned on to the white. will up load a couple of images and maybe some one can let me know what thay think. thanks
Attachments
nazi banner full.jpg
nazi banner full.jpg (36.35 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
nazi banner.jpg
nazi banner.jpg (17.53 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 18 Sep 2002, 03:59

It looks like the typical banner that was flown at rallies and during parades, etc.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 18 Sep 2002, 04:53

Is the flag double sided? Is the swastika sewn on or of the printed type?
A nice looking flag nevertheless. Now you should think of proper storage to preserve its condition.

kilroy2
Banned

banner

Post by kilroy2 » 18 Sep 2002, 12:04

it is single thickness the swastika is silkscreaned on or dyed on to the white. and the white is sewn into the red where it was cut out to fit

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 19 Sep 2002, 00:01

You can check the authenticity of the flag by performing a simple test. You will need a black light that you can aquire just about anywhere. Check the flag under black-light. If the flag "glows", then its a fake. Since todays fibres are treated with chemicals to preserve them and their colors, it reacts with the black-light to produce a "glowing" effect. If it were original, the flag should not glow under this test.

There are more test that can be used, but this is the simplist.

kilroy2
Banned

test

Post by kilroy2 » 19 Sep 2002, 00:23

i did the test and the red did not glow but the white was brighter than the red. but did not floress the way a white t shirt would.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 19 Sep 2002, 00:55

Of all the flags and banners that I owe, the white always has a faint glow and as you said but does not fluoresce as a white t-shirt will. In most instances, stains that are not visible to the naked eye will glow under black-light. If you see this, thats also a good sign that the flag is original.
I would put the value of your flag in the price range of $100 - $250 depending on its condition.

I have also heard of another test, where you take a piece of loose thread and touch it against a flame. The smell of that thread should be different then the smell of todays fibres. I have never performed this test myself.

If anyone knows of this test, post it hear as I am also curious.

Keith Loughmiller
Banned

Black Light MYTH

Post by Keith Loughmiller » 25 Sep 2002, 02:30

Do NOT use a black light to judge authenticty of 3rd Reich items!! The Germans pioneered the use of sythentic material, and many original items will "glow" under black light. This is an old myth.
Your banner is a Party banner and looks 1000% correct to me. Its a nice one at that!! :D

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”