Why were ceremonial daggers made during the late war?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Daniel L

Why were ceremonial daggers made during the late war?

Post by Daniel L » 11 Oct 2002, 00:14

Why did germany make ceremonial daggers during the late war years, it seems to be a waste of energy, money and time. Did they really think that the daggers were such big morale boosters?

regards

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 11 Oct 2002, 01:18

hey charlie, one of the things that shows the greatness and quality of the army was on how well an officer was dressed and to point out that compared to other officers from various countries, the german officer carried a unique dagger made from good craftmanship. It is all about the "image" that makes the first impression.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Oct 2002, 01:35

I see, still it's very confusing that they spent so much effort on this. I mean just look at those volksturm gewehrs during the last months, why didn't they use the material and effort on these instead. Fascinating.

regards

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 11 Oct 2002, 12:56

QUALITY AND AMOUNT WERE GREATLY DECREASED IN THE LAST MONTHS OF THE WAR. THIS CAN BE SEEN IN THE 44 DATED COMBAT BAYONETS AND TO SOME EXTENT THE 43 DATED ALSO. ALLIED BOMBING RUNS DESTROYED MANY EDGED WEAPONS FACTORIES, SO THE MAKERS WERE FEWER AND FEWER AS TIME WENT ON. YOU WILL STILL SEE ERA PRODUCERS AT WORK TODAY, EICKHORN,KLASS,BOKER... THESE EDGED WEAPONS PRODUCERS DIDN'T JUST MAKE DRESS AND COMBAT ITEMS FOR THE REICH, THEY ALSO MADE A GENERAL LINE OF KNIFES FOR THE PUBLIC. MANY SMALL COTTAGE PRODUCERS (MOM AND POP FIRMS) WENT BY THE WAYSIDE VERY EARLY. THAT'S WHY YOU SEE SUCH A DEMAND FOR THE RARE EARLY SA AND SS PRODUCERS.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Oct 2002, 13:01

Thanks for the reply Bret! Can you tell me how big these factories were (in terms of monthly production)?

It's interesting that these small production facilities, 'the mom and pop firms' as you call it, were pushed away early. When it comes to the volksturm gewehrs those were generally made in small facilities. I think that's an interesting comparison.

regards

Bret van Sant
Location: 1st star to the right then straight on 'till morning

Post by Bret van Sant » 11 Oct 2002, 13:23

HERE IS A LINK FOR SOME INFO THAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, THIS IS JUST FOR COMBAT BAYONETS. ITS OVER AT THE BCN. http://www.donet.com/~mconrad/bcnnrs2.htm
AS FOR DRESS I HAVE NEVER SEEN HARD NUMBERS.

Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 11 Oct 2002, 13:28

Thanks for the help, Bret!

regards

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”