axis porzellan

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
IRON GONZO

axis porzellan

Post by IRON GONZO » 25 Feb 2006, 01:32

> I found this by my grand mother
>
> I can’t find the meaning of the sings on the plate.
>
> Can you tell me more about it pleas.
>
> En how many euro is it worth.
>
> Thx

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 26 Feb 2006, 18:03

The backmark shows it to be a piece produced for the Luftwaffe. The eagle is a Luftwaffe eagle, and "Fl.U.V." is the abbreviation for Flugplatz Unterkunfts Verwaltung (Airport Billeting Administration).

As for the symbol on the upper rim of the platter.....a unit crest, maybe?

~FV

at6

Post by at6 » 01 Mar 2006, 22:55

why would a German manufacturer use "bavaria" instead of "bayern" on a piece produced for the Luftwafe during the war?

Archipelego

Post by Archipelego » 07 Mar 2006, 18:07

good question. Can anyone answer this?

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Mar 2006, 07:54

at6 wrote:why would a German manufacturer use "bavaria" instead of "bayern" on a piece produced for the Luftwafe during the war?
Archipelego wrote:good question. Can anyone answer this?
Many, if not most, of the German and Austrian potteries produced items for the international market, besides the German military, which bore their same generic marker’s marks.

Pearl Harbor occurred 7 December 1941, and soon after Germany declared war on the United States. Eleven months of 1941, at the very least, of producing porcelain under the same maker‘s mark. And your problem with the date of this piece is....?

~FV

at6

Post by at6 » 08 Mar 2006, 08:22

Ich weiss das doch.

yes, I believe most of us are aware of when Japan attacked America, the declarartion of war and the general path of history after these events.

I do not doubt the veracity of the piece, though I do not collect porcelain nor tea cozies.

I just found it interesting/curious as to why a maufacturer, who produced a plate for the Luftwaffe, would use "Germany" vice "Deutschland".

the fact that a few repro daggers have "Germany" on the blade probably drove my initial curiosity.

thanks for your insight.

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 08 Mar 2006, 09:16

at6,

Entschuldigen, if my reply was a bit terse. But your question was a bit terse also.

I understand your question about why a German manufacturer would produce porcelain marked "Germany" rather than "Deutschland". As I explained, I think it's a question of pre-war manufacture, for a wider, international market.

By the way, I don't collect "tea cozies" either, but I do collect, to a small extent, Third Reich porcelain. For the people who collect it, it's every bit as exacting as collecting daggers.

Woof---I didn't mean for that to sound so serious either! :wink: But it's true....

~FV

at6 wrote:Ich weiss das doch.

yes, I believe most of us are aware of when Japan attacked America, the declarartion of war and the general path of history after these events.

I do not doubt the veracity of the piece, though I do not collect porcelain nor tea cozies.

I just found it interesting/curious as to why a maufacturer, who produced a plate for the Luftwaffe, would use "Germany" vice "Deutschland".

the fact that a few repro daggers have "Germany" on the blade probably drove my initial curiosity.

thanks for your insight.

Longspeak

good discussion

Post by Longspeak » 10 Mar 2006, 00:44

Fraulein Valkyrie is right in what she is saying about Third Reich porcelain. There is nothing out of the ordinary for a porcelain company in Germany during the Third Reich to print "Germany" on the porcelain instead of "Deutschland." It's not even an issue of this porcelain being produced before the war or the Third Reich. During WWII, many of the German porcelain companies would use the english language "Germany" because they sold the porcelain around the world. Yes, these companies also produced porcelain for the Third Reich specifically the SS, Wehrmacht, DAF, Kriegsmarine, Polizei and Luftwaffe. Since the factories did not know where certain pieces of porcelain would be going, they went ahead and printed the English language "Germany" on some of them as sort of an international business language. Ironically, many pieces of porcelain produced during the Third Reich came to America simply because they were nice pieces of porcelain and people wanted them. Nevertheless, some porcelain produced for the Nazis (especially some SS porcelain), has the SS ruines stamped on the outside of the glaze because the SS added them theirself. The German porcelain company produced the porcelain, the SS made it their own. Now, Bauscher Weiden is one company that produced a lot of SS porcelain with the ruines underneath the glaze. On the other hand, Bauscher Weiden also produced porcelain for the Nazi Polizei with the markings on the outside of the glaze.

So, German porcelain companies produced porcelain for people around the world and it was not uncommon for them to use the English langauge on some of the pieces. I hope this helps.

http://mshp.homeip.net/militaria/

David

IRON GONZO

Post by IRON GONZO » 11 Mar 2006, 00:03

the red symbol stays a mistery. :?

som off my frinds have take a look in there books and DVD
and they can't find it.

thx for helping me so far
keep your eyes open, you'l never now

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”